Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

Re: Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Post by sear » January 8th, 2016, 11:26 am

Matt Findley and Zack Vulaj were interviewed at the IGL Gaming Fest 2016, where they discussed their progress the new studio's progress, Bard's Tale IV, and game development in NOLA.

Take a gander here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNz1UAHlK4

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 10th, 2016, 1:02 pm

There is a delightfully in depth interview with Brian at PC Gamer today. While a lot of the focus is on Wasteland 2 and Brian's creative role at inXile, there are some good tidbits here and there about Bard's Tale IV. Check it out here: http://www.pcgamer.com/brian-fargo-josh ... re-of-rpgs

sear
Developer

Post by sear » May 30th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Long-standing community site RPGWatch interviewed our Systems Designer on The Bard's Tale IV, David Rogers, about a number of aspects of the game. The full article is a great read for fans, so take a look.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/the-ba ... w-374.html
RPGWatch: Dungeon-crawl RPGs are known for great length and plenty of time investment in order to craft your ultimate party. How long do you think the game will run, and will there be a lot of side content in the form of side quests to add length to the game?

David: It is too early to say how long the game will be until we have locked down content and gameplay, but we always strive to hit the right balance between lengthy games with a lot of depth while still delivering a highly polished experience.

RPGWatch: Approaching content in any order that you would like is important to get a more "open" feeling game. Will there be multiple dungeons to tackle at once, and will the player have options as to which dungeon they should explore next?

David: There absolutely will be free choice involved. There will be times when you have multiple quests and dungeons that need your attention and it'll be up to you to decide which order you tackle them in, or if you tackle them at all.

RPGWatch: Party management is great fun in a dungeon-crawl RPG, especially when status-altering effects and other factors come into play. What sort of "game within a game" mechanics can we expect while we're diving into these dungeons? What factors will we have to manage along the way?

David: There are some tried and true mechanics you'll be playing as you crawl through a dungeon. We'll ask players to manage a finite number of consumables to ensure they're in peak fighting condition when a combat occurs. This could be health potions, anti-venoms, or even things relating to trap avoidance and secret discovery, such as lock pick sets. We're also asking players to decide if and where to make camp after a hard day of adventuring. We're all RPG fans here, so we don't necessarily try to re-invent the wheel at every turn.

With that said, there are also elements about our game that should feel really unique to The Bard's Tale. We want to incorporate music into our gameplay in a major way. We have some major talent, both on the writing and musical front. We want to bring those big guns to bear by having the player gleam insight about the various cultures of Caith through its music, and then be able to sing the magically attuned songs of Caith that they've learned in order to interact with the world.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 30th, 2016, 5:50 pm

RPGWatch Interview wrote: Dungeons may not necessarily be grind-able
Grind-able dungeons were a feature of the original games.
RPGWatch Interview wrote: or the gamble you take when you wield an unidentified magic item that may have a curse on it.
vs.
BT1 Manual wrote: 2. There are no cursed or bad items, unlike real life.
cmibl<enter>

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 30th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Cursed items actually sounds pretty cool, as long as you can use a Wizard and/or Lore skill to actually be able to identify curses. But but not being able to grind dungeons is a big deal, but I guess as long as there's some areas (outdoor or indoor) which have respawning enemies it's OK. As long as it's not a Realms of Arkania 1 style XP system :/
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Sacred_Path
Scholar

Post by Sacred_Path » May 31st, 2016, 5:20 am

Thanks for talking to the Watch, InXile! 8-)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 31st, 2016, 12:32 pm

Crosmando wrote:Cursed items actually sounds pretty cool, as long as you can use a Wizard and/or Lore skill to actually be able to identify curses. But but not being able to grind dungeons is a big deal, but I guess as long as there's some areas (outdoor or indoor) which have respawning enemies it's OK. As long as it's not a Realms of Arkania 1 style XP system :/
Might and Magic X had limited enemies as well, which did not work well at all. It essentially locked you into a situation where your build mattered more than anything and if you weren't sufficiently optimal in your build, you were more or less screwed.

Again, it's PvE, so if someone wants to grind up to level 100 killing boars until they start the game, more power to 'em.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » May 31st, 2016, 3:36 pm

David: There absolutely will be free choice involved. There will be times when you have multiple quests and dungeons that need your attention and it'll be up to you to decide which order you tackle them in, or if you tackle them at all.

RPGWatch: Party management is great fun in a dungeon-crawl RPG, especially when status-altering effects and other factors come into play. What sort of "game within a game" mechanics can we expect while we're diving into these dungeons? What factors will we have to manage along the way?
Speaking of free choice and party management, i hope the players will not be limited to only 5 player characters per game, and they can always create new characters in the Adventurers Guild (even mid-game), switch them out, power-level and gear them up with all the cool items they've found, just like in the originals. So a dynamic party system via the Guild, not just creating 5 characters at the start and being stuck with them until the end.

Actually in BT2 i've had former opponents like Fanskar, Oscon and a few dragons hanging out in the Guild, or coming with me, with their brutal destructive spells and breath weapons.
David: While epic boss battles against giant monsters will still exist, Combat in The Bard's Tale IV is focused on group vs. group combat. This allows us to build enemies with really distinct capabilities and then combine them with other enemies to create something that feels like a wholly unique challenge to overcome.
If you have high enough numbers of different enemies, a good random encounter generator will indeed come up with very interesting and unique groups sometimes. Of course, hand placed "epic boss battles" are also very nice:

David:For the most part, we still haven't fully decided on how we want to manage enemy respawning, or the lack thereof, but we have a lot of ideas. This is a great question, but I don't think it's one I can give a satisfying answer to right now as we're still iterating.

Also, revisiting old dungeons is certainly on the table. Dungeons may not necessarily be grind-able, but specific events in the story might result in a dungeon being repopulated with new and harder enemies.
I think respawning should be generally based on passage of time, but "story events" changing the spawns sometimes also sounds cool.
Drool wrote:Might and Magic X had limited enemies as well, which did not work well at all. It essentially locked you into a situation where your build mattered more than anything and if you weren't sufficiently optimal in your build, you were more or less screwed.
Yes, a limited amount of fights isn't right, dynamically respawning ones with some randomness are much more preferable. In BT2-3 pretty much everything except Lagoth / Tarjan (and some special characters like the Rainbow Dragon, Urmech, or Werra) respawned if the party left the dungeon. Hunting for summoner groups and fighting their summons a few times, for the maximum 65k XP was a cool little feature.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 31st, 2016, 5:48 pm

Crosmando wrote:Cursed items actually sounds pretty cool, as long as you can use a Wizard and/or Lore skill to actually be able to identify curses.
I like having cursed items in other games, but, in BT, I'm somewhat used to "no cursed items" being a rule which can be relied on. Some of the fun came from experimenting with unknown items on different characters, while adventuring, before you even got back to Garth to identify them.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 2nd, 2016, 5:41 pm

ZiN wrote:In BT2-3 pretty much everything except Lagoth / Tarjan (and some special characters like the Rainbow Dragon, Urmech, or Werra) respawned if the party left the dungeon. Hunting for summoner groups and fighting their summons a few times, for the maximum 65k XP was a cool little feature.
Brilhasti was probably the best for this. Getting to him was quick, the fight wasn't hard (if you were sufficiently leveled), and he teleported you to safety after.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 2nd, 2017, 1:14 am

http://www.pcgamer.com/inxile-reveals-t ... w-trailer/

Can I just point out that I think this is a really bad idea. You guys are basically putting some of BT4's backstory into another game, one that isn't even an RPG.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 2nd, 2017, 8:48 am

Crosmando wrote:
June 2nd, 2017, 1:14 am
http://www.pcgamer.com/inxile-reveals-t ... w-trailer/

Can I just point out that I think this is a really bad idea. You guys are basically putting some of BT4's backstory into another game, one that isn't even an RPG.
Hmm... But Bard's Tales was originally meant to be one of three tales; including Mage's Tale—but it didn't playout like that... After the success, they had to stick with the Bard's Tale name branding.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 2nd, 2017, 8:51 am

What I mean is, Mage's Tale is going to place between BT3 and BT4.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 2nd, 2017, 9:03 am

Do you mean it's going to be narrative glue(?)... meaning you'd need to p(l)ay for the BT4 backstory?
Or do you just mean it has references that a BT4 player might notice and recall the significance of it; like Tycho's history in Fallout.

Looking at the trailer... With so many shared assets, one wonders if it's not the same game, tinkered with to produce alternate gameplay.

Relic designed its Dawn of War titles to detect each other. They were basically the same game with tweaks...and if you had at least two of them, the second one could retro-fit the first during its install; adding additional assets to it.

I wonder if they've thought to make a connected install, where having Bard's Tale, Mage's Tale—and Thief's Tale installed would combine the titles in some way. 8-)

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 2nd, 2017, 9:26 am

Gizmo wrote:
June 2nd, 2017, 9:03 am
Do you mean it's going to be narrative glue(?)... meaning you'd need to p(l)ay for the BT4 backstory?

Or do you just mean it has references that a BT4 player might notice and recall the significance of it; like Tycho's history in Fallout.
Either, but I am guessing it would more likely be the latter.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 2nd, 2017, 9:44 am

I'll repost what I wrote in the comments of that article you linked to:

"Nothing in The Mage's Tale is necessary for The Bard's Tale IV any more than Rogue One is required before watching A New Hope. As in both cases, it's a chance to experience more of the world. Beyond that, as we have said on a few occasions, work on The Mage's Tale has allowed us to increase the scope and visuals of The Bard's Tale IV."

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 2nd, 2017, 12:04 pm

Crosmando wrote:
Completely disagree. Spinoffs are cool even if I don't want to play them. As long as they don't call it Bard's Tale V, I have nothing to complain about.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 3rd, 2017, 3:37 am

Gizmo wrote:
June 2nd, 2017, 9:03 am
Looking at the trailer... With so many shared assets, one wonders if it's not the same game, tinkered with to produce alternate gameplay.
If I had to guess, I'd say Mage's Tale is going to completely reuse BT4'd dungeon textures, probably enemies as well. When you think about it, it is rather clever, InXile get to create an entire game at a fraction of the cost. It's probably a way for InXile to generate some income for their "main" crowdfunded projects.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 3rd, 2017, 7:05 am

I don't have any problem with that; I just wondered that if they were nearly compatible under the hood, then perhaps each game could enhance the other two if they were installed. For instance... to update each of the other game's monster list; such that to install Mage's Tale would add some or all of the new monster content to BT4, and Thief's Tale (if present/ if it get's made).

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 7th, 2017, 8:42 am

Zombra wrote:
June 2nd, 2017, 12:04 pm
Crosmando wrote:
Completely disagree. Spinoffs are cool even if I don't want to play them. As long as they don't call it Bard's Tale V, I have nothing to complain about.
Did you watch the MT trailer? The game looks like a pseudo-comedy more akin to BT 2004 or something, with that comical little imp's dialogue. Not a good sign if BT4 is going to have the same sensibilities.