The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Launch Trailer

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Launch Trailer

Post by phimseto » September 13th, 2018, 7:37 am

After three years, we are near the end of the road - we've just released the launch trailer for The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep!

You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/w8gBMbwFbS8

The storefronts for the game are going live today, too:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5660 ... rows_Deep/

https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_iv_barrows_deep

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the- ... rrows-deep

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/th ... s-deep-pc/

And general info about the game can be found at: http://bardstale.com

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Launch Trailer

Post by PsychicMonk » September 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

Is there a list with all the 18 classes and hundreds of spells, skills and abilities? One of the bigger disappointments was the small number of spells and classes in the beta... So far I'm not sure if this game is enough justification to upgrade my graphics card.
Last edited by PsychicMonk on September 13th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 13th, 2018, 10:21 am

Despite my criticism (primarily, no grid, excessively Scottish themes (and I'm half Scottish), the combat and magic system, Skara Brae being a port city which seems at odds with the map recently shown), I am looking forward to the game and hoping to truly enjoy it, especially on its own merits. I don't know if I'll wait until legacy grid mode is enabled as I really don't know what that gameplay will be like yet, or whether I'll play as soon as I'm able - IF I'm able. But I'm looking forward to the music, the exploring, and revisiting much of the Bard's Tale universe.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » September 13th, 2018, 12:27 pm

PsychicMonk wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:10 am
Is there a list with all the 18 classes and hundreds of spells, skills and abilities? One of the bigger disappointments was the small number of spells and classes in the beta... So far I'm not sure if this game is enough justification to upgrade my graphics card.
The "classes" are just a fancy name for each branch in an archetype's talent tree. You can invest in multiple "classes" by going down more than one branch. And apparently the number of "classes" has increased - the Steam page now says there are 21 of them:
Create the Hero You Want To Be
Play as Bard, Fighter, Practitioner, and Rogue. Each archetype features 60-70 skills and collectively they unlock 21 unique classes. Build an array of characters to make each playthrough a unique experience.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 13th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Phimseto - is there any news about how long us Linux folks may have to wait for a native platform release after the 18th? At least a rough estimate would be nice, even if a hard date wasn't known yet.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » September 13th, 2018, 1:25 pm

thebruce wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:21 am
But I'm looking forward to the music, the exploring, and revisiting much of the Bard's Tale universe.
Are you alright?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm

ZiN wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:25 pm
thebruce wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:21 am
But I'm looking forward to the music, the exploring, and revisiting much of the Bard's Tale universe.
Are you alright?
lol - looking forward to... ie, hoping there's a lot more in there than just passing references and "retconned" backstory that we know from the releases so far.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm

PsychicMonk wrote:
From the beta, a "class" is nothing more than a few abilities, it sounds like nothing but false advertisement that they are claiming the game has 18 classes.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » September 13th, 2018, 6:01 pm

demeisen wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:00 pm
Phimseto - is there any news about how long us Linux folks may have to wait for a native platform release after the 18th? At least a rough estimate would be nice, even if a hard date wasn't known yet.
There isn't, and the dev team are reticent to give a window until they have a very firm handle on development. They (rightfully) don't want to say "X" and then have it not be "X" if it can be avoided. That said, as soon as we can convey a window for both Mac and Linux, we will.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » September 14th, 2018, 6:19 am

Crosmando wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm
PsychicMonk wrote:
From the beta, a "class" is nothing more than a few abilities, it sounds like nothing but false advertisement that they are claiming the game has 18 classes.
I agree, that saying "this game has 18 classes and hundreds of spells, skills and abilities" is very dishonest, when in fact it has 4 classes and about 14 spells. But of course they can't be honest and say the truth, that they have removed several classes, and the majority of spells compared to the classics. Plus we get stupid stuff like "meet 350 voiced characters" and "Dark Souls level design meets tactical drunkenness" in there.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » September 14th, 2018, 8:20 am

ZiN wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:19 am
Crosmando wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm
PsychicMonk wrote:
I agree, that saying "this game has 18 classes and hundreds of spells, skills and abilities" is very dishonest, when in fact it has 4 classes and about 14 spells. But of course they can't be honest and say the truth, that they have removed several classes, and the majority of spells compared to the classics. Plus we get stupid stuff like "meet 350 voiced characters" and "Dark Souls level design meets tactical drunkenness" in there.
Then I won't be surprised if they advertise the number of grid nodes once the grid mode is implemented :x