The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Post Reply
User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 604
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by phimseto » July 24th, 2018, 10:15 am

Hi all, in this latest update, we talk about the revised release schedule for the Bard's Tale Trilogy remasters. The particulars can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/2246121

balinor
Novice
Posts: 39
Joined: May 6th, 2016, 2:49 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by balinor » July 24th, 2018, 10:21 am

I understand, but to say I am disappointed would be a huge understatement and unfortunately that has been the norm with this kickstarter.

barsiem
Initiate
Posts: 14
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by barsiem » July 24th, 2018, 10:23 am

Sheesh can you not be honest and say it’s not ready? The update makes no sense...

“hey guys - the game works great! So great we won’t give it to you when we said but will make you wait a few more weeks... and we thought we’d wait until the day we said you’d get it to break this awesome news to you! Ok thanks bye”

Really poor. By all means wait until it’s ready, but don’t insult our intelligence

Lanatir
Scholar
Posts: 168
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 7:43 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by Lanatir » July 24th, 2018, 10:29 am

barsiem wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:23 am
Sheesh can you not be honest and say it’s not ready? The update makes no sense...

“hey guys - the game works great! So great we won’t give it to you when we said but will make you wait a few more weeks... and we thought we’d wait until the day we said you’d get it to break this awesome news to you! Ok thanks bye”

Really poor. By all means wait until it’s ready, but don’t insult our intelligence
You are doing it wrong. You are only getting an answer from them when you tell them how awesome it is what they are doing. Everything else they either dont read, ignore, or delete.

barsiem
Initiate
Posts: 14
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by barsiem » July 24th, 2018, 10:38 am

Lanatir wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:29 am
barsiem wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:23 am
Sheesh can you not be honest and say it’s not ready? The update makes no sense...

“hey guys - the game works great! So great we won’t give it to you when we said but will make you wait a few more weeks... and we thought we’d wait until the day we said you’d get it to break this awesome news to you! Ok thanks bye”

Really poor. By all means wait until it’s ready, but don’t insult our intelligence
You are doing it wrong. You are only getting an answer from them when you tell them how awesome it is what they are doing. Everything else they either dont read, ignore, or delete.
Tbf my post had to be approved by a moderator before appearing, and I was a little surprised it did, so maybe some of them aren’t so bad.

Communication is 90% common sense. Rule no 1 - don’t treat your customers like idiots. Makes it so frustrating when companies get it wrong, and the approach with todays announcement changes my mood from what would have been disappointment to being seriously annoyed

User avatar
thebruce
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by thebruce » July 24th, 2018, 10:55 am

I can only imagine a decision like that can't be easy to make, knowing that there'd be heavy criticism from excited fans itching to get their hands on an early release.
Rest assured, the remasters ARE coming - this is just as described, a delay, which is for being "closer to a final build than we thought it would be at this point in development", rather than in worse condition than expected. Personally I think just like any game, I'd rather have a delay with a better product than a hasty release with bugs or tweaks that could have been done. If that happens, usually the creators get flack for not delaying the release :P. Or more relevant here, delaying for more time to spend on finishing the product than delaying that for the sake of spending extra time to test and release an interim partial product. And it sounds like an added bonus of GOG support.

What it seems like is development is going along so swimmingly that it would have slowed them down to make a pitstop to ensure a viable partial release (maybe an analogy could be that I hate when I'm in a programming 'zone' and get interrupted; it takes more work to get back into the zone afterwards). I suppose whether that's good or bad for the remasters is pretty subjective, but at least so far there's no reported delay due to problems or heavy negative feedback. Don't be too quick to criticize for this turn of events!

I know for my BT nostalgia itch right now, I'm more excited for the remasters than IV. But no rush!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Rizmel
Initiate
Posts: 8
Joined: July 12th, 2018, 10:31 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by Rizmel » July 24th, 2018, 10:57 am

I would be willing to bet that if put to a vote the majority would prefer "give us what you have now and patch it in August" to "don't give us anything til August"

User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 604
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by phimseto » July 24th, 2018, 11:04 am

barsiem wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:38 am

Communication is 90% common sense. Rule no 1 - don’t treat your customers like idiots. Makes it so frustrating when companies get it wrong, and the approach with todays announcement changes my mood from what would have been disappointment to being seriously annoyed
Really not sure where you are coming from with that. It's all right there in the update. Today's build was going to be Early Access, but as we were setting up the release for it, things transpired as I laid out. Originally, GOG backers were going to be stuck waiting until the game came out of EA. Now they've got a chance to get in at the same time as the other backers. From my vantage, this was the better move for that reason alone.

I get the disappointment, though. The remasters have been a long time coming. All I can tell you is that we, Krome, and others have been working to get these things to you as soon as we possibly can.

Rizmel
Initiate
Posts: 8
Joined: July 12th, 2018, 10:31 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by Rizmel » July 24th, 2018, 11:40 am

I think the two issues are that the announcement didn't come out til today - though it is certainly possible that the decision was made at the last minute, it seems unlikely that the package was being put together today for a release today, so maybe the announcement could've come sooner - and that bringing GOG into it doesn't make sense; after all, the Beta (backer reward) wasn't delayed to make it available for GOG and Steam at the same time, why should this (backer reward)?

barsiem
Initiate
Posts: 14
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by barsiem » July 24th, 2018, 11:50 am

phimseto wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 11:04 am
barsiem wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:38 am

Communication is 90% common sense. Rule no 1 - don’t treat your customers like idiots. Makes it so frustrating when companies get it wrong, and the approach with todays announcement changes my mood from what would have been disappointment to being seriously annoyed
Really not sure where you are coming from with that. It's all right there in the update. Today's build was going to be Early Access, but as we were setting up the release for it, things transpired as I laid out. Originally, GOG backers were going to be stuck waiting until the game came out of EA. Now they've got a chance to get in at the same time as the other backers. From my vantage, this was the better move for that reason alone.

I get the disappointment, though. The remasters have been a long time coming. All I can tell you is that we, Krome, and others have been working to get these things to you as soon as we possibly can.
I think you dressing up today as good news is disingenuous, and I'm surprised you don't see that. I'd be very surprised if we've been given the full story about why it's delayed, and strongly suspect the game just isn't ready. I agree it's fairer for gog backers, but that begs the question as to why you decided to release it to steam users early in the first place. Surely gog should have been considered at that point.

Like I say, if we'd had a message saying sorry, the game's not ready and we don't want to give you an inferior experience, I'd have been disappointed but supportive. However the message we have been given reeks of BS, and that's makes me, and I'm sure others, annoyed. You've dressed this up in completely the wrong way.

User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 604
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by phimseto » July 24th, 2018, 11:55 am

Rizmel wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 11:40 am
I think the two issues are that the announcement didn't come out til today - though it is certainly possible that the decision was made at the last minute, it seems unlikely that the package was being put together today for a release today, so maybe the announcement could've come sooner - and that bringing GOG into it doesn't make sense; after all, the Beta (backer reward) wasn't delayed to make it available for GOG and Steam at the same time, why should this (backer reward)?
Hi Rizmel, the decision came about as we spent last week prepping the release, then had to coordinate with Krome, and get everyone on agreement that we could deliver when we wanted and to both platforms. Bottom line: the administrative process to get everyone on board took a few additional days.

As for remasters and the trilogy, two different circumstances. How we handle one doesn't dictate how we handle the other. In the case of the remasters, we had an opportunity to structure things in a way that got GOG users the remasters at the same time as everyone else, so that was part of our motivation for this.

User avatar
thebruce
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by thebruce » July 24th, 2018, 11:57 am

Let's take a step back. Look at the details objectively.
Has the final release date changed?
What is the extent of this announcement?
No early release, and a confirmation of mid-August for the full BT1, on Steam and GOG?
Other than no early (incomplete) release, how is this still bad?
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

barsiem
Initiate
Posts: 14
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by barsiem » July 24th, 2018, 12:46 pm

thebruce wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 11:57 am
Let's take a step back. Look at the details objectively.
Has the final release date changed?
What is the extent of this announcement?
No early release, and a confirmation of mid-August for the full BT1, on Steam and GOG?
Other than no early (incomplete) release, how is this still bad?
What's bad is not the message, but how it was communicated

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9292
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by Drool » July 24th, 2018, 3:03 pm

barsiem wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 10:38 am
Tbf my post had to be approved by a moderator before appearing, and I was a little surprised it did, so maybe some of them aren’t so bad.
It wasn't because of the content of your post. The first few posts go through the moderator queue to stop spambots. For awhile there, we were getting dozens of them a day.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer
Posts: 892
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » July 24th, 2018, 6:24 pm

barsiem wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 12:46 pm
thebruce wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 11:57 am
Let's take a step back. Look at the details objectively.
Has the final release date changed?
What is the extent of this announcement?
No early release, and a confirmation of mid-August for the full BT1, on Steam and GOG?
Other than no early (incomplete) release, how is this still bad?
What's bad is not the message, but how it was communicated
I do agree that the timing and content of the communication could've been different than they were. In the few years I've been around this forum, communication has been a continual sticking point with inXile. However, like thebruce says, I don't feel much is being lost here and am generally supportive of the decision... as long as it doesn't involve stuffing BT IV content into the remasters in an attempt to connect the games or something like that.
cmibl<enter>

User avatar
DNACowboy
Scholar
Posts: 102
Joined: October 31st, 2013, 6:51 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by DNACowboy » August 9th, 2018, 7:08 am

Update on the remastered Bards Tale series

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -next-week
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that is your own self."
Aldous Huxley

User avatar
Themadcow
Scholar
Posts: 208
Joined: June 9th, 2015, 1:46 am

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 48: Update on Bard's Tale Trilogy Remasters

Post by Themadcow » August 9th, 2018, 8:19 am

DNACowboy wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 7:08 am
Update on the remastered Bards Tale series

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -next-week
Similar in RPS.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... ster-date/
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests