The Bard's Tale IV Update 46: We're Off To See The Wizard!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 46: We're Off To See The Wizard!

Post by Zombra » July 11th, 2018, 4:04 pm

You may be right. At the moment all we can do is infer what we can from the limited information we have. Wasteland 2 didn't have random encounters except on the world map, and BT4 has no world map ... Merc Tokens ... Adventurer's Guild ... global levelling ... as a theory it all adds up, but of course it is just a theory.

aileron
Initiate

Post by aileron » July 11th, 2018, 5:06 pm

You need to have infinite random encounters/grinding or be prepared to restart the game if you f up. For example, BT3, I did not have a character of the class that can eventually become a chronomancer(?) in the party. All of my characters were at very high levels when I finally realized this character class was essential to have to complete the game. I had to add a L1 (not sure what) character and eventually level them and change classes and level those classes enough to make them a chronomancer. That was A LOT of grinding. But what was the alternative? Restart BT3 with a whole new party. I'm for grinding or at least the option of grinding if necessary.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 11th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Thinking about the merc token / adv guild / global xp thing some more, another implication is that there is no such thing as a "respec" in the game ... and I for one say hallelujah.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » July 11th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Zombra wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 4:02 pm
Thursday!
I wasn't in forum mode for a few weeks and I guess I missed the lowdown on the beta. Is there any info about supported platforms, GOG availability, and so on?

Anyway, about the update, while I'm still not thrilled with the idea of such a limited pool of simultaneously available spells, I do like some of the actual details about the spells. E.g:
It’s one of a few abilities that can be cast in several ways: the longer you channel this ability, the stronger the minion it’ll create by granting more Spell Points. A Wraith will vanish back to the ether it came from when its Spell Points run out, so starting with a high number can let your elemental throw out a couple extra spells before dissipating.
I generally like that kind of tactical choice. It also can force situations such as, "Well, I'd rather have a stronger one, but I really need one right now..." Of course it should be a super-linear function: if taking N extra rounds gets me the exact equivalent of casting N weaker ones sequentially, then there's no benefit, and only opportunity cost. A lot of the underpinning mechanics seems like they have the potential to create interesting combats. I'm still pining for the kind of dynamic selection the classics had, though... or at least a faint echo thereof.
They were scored and then recorded in Scotland by Ged Grimes and his crew of talented Celtic folk musicians.
What little I've heard of the music so far has been just great. If the whole soundtrack is as good as those bits, it'll make for some nice immersion.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 11th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Zombra wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 5:14 pm
Thinking about the merc token / adv guild / global xp thing some more, another implication is that there is no such thing as a "respec" in the game ... and I for one say hallelujah.
Meh. Respec is a bugbear.

Personally, I find a global XP cure to be worse than the disease. It encourages lazy design and lazy playthroughs.
demeisen wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 5:16 pm
Is there any info about supported platforms, GOG availability, and so on?
As far as I know, it's just a tweet from Brian Fargo saying "Less than 24 hours!"
Anyway, about the update, while I'm still not thrilled with the idea of such a limited pool of simultaneously available spells
Yeah... one of many things...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 11th, 2018, 5:32 pm

demeisen wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 5:16 pm
Is there any info about supported platforms, GOG availability, and so on?
Nope! I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess it will be Steam only.
Drool wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Personally, I find a global XP cure to be worse than the disease. It encourages lazy design and lazy playthroughs.
I hate it for a lot of reasons.

1) Individual xp for individual character achievement just feels good.
2) Giving free xp to a guy for sitting at the guild is stupid.
3) Differing xp rates for characters with different stats is cool.
4) Replaying a fun section with a new low level party in the same game, can't have that any more.
5) The implication that xp is finite, and the implications that follow from that, are a major bummer.

I could go on.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » July 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm

I think they want to reduce the need to grind xp in comparison to the classics.
BTW: Didn't they also say something in the update about cutting down grinding time in the BT1 Remake
and adding a Legacy Mode later for those who want normal gameplay?

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » July 12th, 2018, 2:02 am

Well, they generally want to reduce everything that gives freedom and choices to the player, and instead they prefer the player playing the game they want to. That's a badly designed dungeon-crawler right there. If they eliminate all the grinding, respawns, resource management, it makes the whole dungeon-crawl and party-building quite artificial and ultimately meaningless. The player must go through the game exactly as the developers planned, making sure so he doesn't miss any content and can't fail. And of course they want the player to use their NPCs, because they think their voice-acted interaction and storytelling is proper content for a classic dungeon-crawl. If we don't listen to all their NPC dialogue, that is a loss of a few hours worth of "content". So yeah, we have mercenaries...
aileron wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 5:06 pm
You need to have infinite random encounters/grinding or be prepared to restart the game if you f up. For example, BT3, I did not have a character of the class that can eventually become a chronomancer(?) in the party. All of my characters were at very high levels when I finally realized this character class was essential to have to complete the game. I had to add a L1 (not sure what) character and eventually level them and change classes and level those classes enough to make them a chronomancer. That was A LOT of grinding. But what was the alternative?
You could have just visited Brilhasti in UnterBrae, level 4 (using APAR to teleport to level 3 straight away). : )
Zombra wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 5:32 pm
Drool wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 5:18 pm
I hate it for a lot of reasons.

1) Individual xp for individual character achievement just feels good.
2) Giving free xp to a guy for sitting at the guild is stupid.
3) Differing xp rates for characters with different stats is cool.
4) Replaying a fun section with a new low level party in the same game, can't have that any more.
5) The implication that xp is finite, and the implications that follow from that, are a major bummer.

I could go on.
Yeah, this is the worst possible way to go, as I have mentioned it, in my post back on the "Alpha Priority" discussion.
Their design is flawed and mercenary tokens are an example of an arbitrary "fix", so the "player doesn't break the game".
We will have to be careful which "cards" we "craft" for our "deck", using our precious mercenary tokens! : D If we run out of mercenary tokens and our deck sucks, who is gonna prevent us from restarting? InXile NPCs? No thanks!

By the way, since this is a Wizard update, I'd also like to mention again, that another advantage of summoners was that they were indirectly gaining more XP, since summoned (recruited, spellbound) monsters didn't count toward XP distribution in the classics.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 12th, 2018, 2:37 am

ZiN wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 2:50 pm
So becoming a grandmaster wizard grants a hefty constitution boost huh? I guess that's more fun, than Baylor's Spell Bind used to be in BT1-3.
And they also get to summon two skeletons! Yay!
Baylor's Spell Bind won't be in BT4 simply because they'd need to create an animated portrait for every single enemy type that you could mind control, the wonders of modern graffix :|
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 12th, 2018, 4:41 am

Crosmando wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 2:37 am
Baylor's Spell Bind won't be in BT4 simply because they'd need to create an animated portrait for every single enemy type that you could mind control, the wonders of modern graffix :|
Wonders indeed; considering that the animated portraits could actually BE frames taken from the combat and gameworld animations. :?