Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Re: Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 3rd, 2018, 5:20 pm

ZiN wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 2:26 pm
There's a group of people that if I did a straight-up Bard's Tale that looked like it was from 1995, they'd love it...
Really? Point me in the direction, where I could find that group, please! Around here, most of us will be satisfied with Bard's Tale Remastered, for all our 1995 needs, and definitely don't want BT4 to look like it's from 1995. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt if it played like a classic dungeon-crawler from 1995, since we're kind of short on those games lately, hence we backed BT4 and are helping revive the dungeon-crawl.
Right on, Zin. The false characterization of what we want is getting a bit old. None of us are saying we want every fight to be "AAADDD", or that the sound and graphics have to look early 90's. Somehow, wanting something that is faithful in spirit and core game mechanics is twisted into people playing "pin the tail on the Luddite".
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 3rd, 2018, 5:41 pm

ZiN wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 4:11 pm
"Skara Brae has a new sheriff. That should keep the Tarjan's Bulls away."
"I saw a slathbeast the other day... horrible creatures."
I used to be a Chronomancer like you until I took a Nightspear to the knee.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 3rd, 2018, 5:49 pm

demeisen wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 4:37 pm
I'd more suspect they asked for the minimum they needed to get development rolling for a year or whatever, and planned on profit from post-release sales to recoup the entire development cycle costs.
This could be the way of it. I have nothing against this—until it impinges upon the end result; when the reward becomes a product, and the needs of the product start to outweigh the promise of the reward. I wanted a Bard's Tale 4, not a AAA Frayed Knights clone—with optional grid-step.

They could have made it on Unity3D with the minimum spec for the engine; (they could have made it in Flash!)...
Sure, but going as far as Flash is arguing that they should have made a very different game than they promised. It was clear from the teaser video that they were aiming for rich 3D environments, in-environment animated creatures, graphical spell effects some of which interact with that 3D environment, etc. If they showed all those things, and then rolled back to a much simpler Flash game, I doubt that would go over well with the people who backed it because of what they saw in the teaser. And if they showed a simpler Flash style game in the teaser video, I'd be surprise if they got even 1/10th as much funding.
Flash has changed... :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFT39KdBRYk

... but that wasn't what I meant—Flash was for sake of emphasis, (and the fact that that's all they ever really needed to propose for a BT sequel).
**(Completely as an aside) Petri (Of Almost Human Ltd) wrote his own engine for Legend of Grimrock; and it was tailored to the needs of the game. A small team could have made a grand Bard's Tale sequel as just a conversion/reskin of Grimrock 2.
Interesting idea!

I know there are Grimrock mods out there, but I don't know if any have taken it that far (e.g, changing the real time combat to turn based). That'd be cool, though. If someone did something like that, I'd play it.
It should be fairly easy. The monster AI can be overridden in script; easily told to wait or attack. User scripts can control the flow of time in the game. New user created behaviors can be built with the brain commands. No one has done it—possibly because the game is a DM/EoB homage.

**Interesting trivia: I once suggested to a certain Bethesda developer (asked him his opinion via PM), whether it might be possible to convert FO3's combat to turn based by controlling the AI states (in similar manner to the above). He agreed that it might be made to work acceptably—but never something that Bethesda would sign off on or test.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » May 3rd, 2018, 7:47 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 5:10 pm
Why are most of the posts in this forum from those of us who are strongly opposed to the direction we've seen?
Well, that's not how I'd qualify what I've seen. Look in the first alpha thread: there's a lot of people saying they like what they see, and yes, they would also like to see some changes. I watched a number of youtube play-throughs of the alpha too, and the majority seemed to be positive - even enthusiastically so from some players.

But agreed, people want changes - naturally, since it's a first alpha. I do too! But I also view it in this perspective: most of the CRPG industry has given us shooter mechanic RPGs, or single-PC RPGs, or MMPORPGs, or loot boxes and micro-transactions, usually with oppressive DRM and often platform lockdown to consoles. Those things sell, often massively, like with Oblivion / Skyrim, or WoW. We're seeing none of that in BT4. What you call strongly the wrong direction, I view as a lot more right than wrong. Perfect, certainly not, but I can live with it as a base to improve upon and (I hope...) fold in some things lots of people want.

Anyway, what alternatives do we have? If BT4 gets shot down for not being ideal, then how long might it be before someone else gets brave enough to try catering to our little sub-niche - a niche that died out because it was seen as no longer commercial viable? How many other efforts are currently in the works to hang my turn-based-blobber hat on?

PoE1 helped to rekindle BG-likes as a viable niche. My hope is that BT4 may do similar with TBB's, and we see a little resurgence, which may in turn provide more options to pick from in the future. It's been slim pickings for those who don't like what EA and Bethesda make.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » May 3rd, 2018, 8:03 pm

For video playthroughs and reviews of the alpha, we need context for the user's background. Are they fans of the classics, or are they fans of modern RPGs? One of the points about the article was that it seemed to paint anyone who wanted to see changes more in line with the classics as people who wanted to see it look like a game from 1995. When in actuality, yes, most people seem to be agreeing that based on the alpha it's looking like a great game so far -- it's not that people are not liking the game, it's that the common sentiment (from anyone more critical) is that "it's not Bard's Tale". Of course we all want a game that will be successful - but at what expense? Here, the context is a Bard's Tale sequel, not just a modern RPG with classic elements thrown in and some nostalgic content to assuage the angst of die-hard fanatics. And that's how it felt reading some of those quotes. It feels very alienating as a backer based on the hope of receiving a faithful sequel to the classics, to be lumped in with people who'd rather see an unsuccessful badly designed modern game (which I don't get the sense anyone who loves the classics is advocating). And when references like making the game more like Bard's Tale "20" merely because it's been 30 years outweigh the fact that it's called Bard's Tale Four, we're feeling like we're getting quite short-changed. Based on what we've seen so far, and how our input is being handled, overall.

We understand that there are classic elements that won't sell well in the sequel. We're not pushing for bad game design, we're pushing for a feel that keeps the sequel in line with its namesake. Didn't feel like that was a fair portrayal of this 'niche' community in that article.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » May 4th, 2018, 12:41 am

Gizmo wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 3:11 pm
This is like catering Sushi to people that won't eat anything raw... and serving it cooked, including to those expecting to get Sushi.
Or getting funds to rebuild a veteran car, then using the latest, modern parts for everything, making it very safe and easy to drive, then slapping a big fat "old-school" sticker on it and having its stereo play 50's and 60's tunes.
A small team could have made a grand Bard's Tale sequel as just a conversion/reskin of Grimrock 2.
Well, we got a medium team making a Bard's Tale sequel as a conversion/reskin of Mage's Tale.
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
(b) Fargo is probably not wrong: pure BT-original-style would flop badly in 2018, relative to the levels even a modest sized studio needs to sell at to remain in business.
Probably is a weasel word. And I have no idea what is meant by "pure BT-original-style"....
Yeah, define "pure BT-original-style". Was Grimrock "pure EoB-original-style" in 2012? It didn't flop, as far as I know.
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 5:20 pm
ZiN wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 2:26 pm
There's a group of people that if I did a straight-up Bard's Tale that looked like it was from 1995, they'd love it...
Really? Point me in the direction, where I could find that group, please! Around here, most of us will be satisfied with Bard's Tale Remastered, for all our 1995 needs, and definitely don't want BT4 to look like it's from 1995. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt if it played like a classic dungeon-crawler from 1995, since we're kind of short on those games lately, hence we backed BT4 and are helping revive the dungeon-crawl.
Right on, Zin. The false characterization of what we want is getting a bit old. None of us are saying we want every fight to be "AAADDD", or that the sound and graphics have to look early 90's. Somehow, wanting something that is faithful in spirit and core game mechanics is twisted into people playing "pin the tail on the Luddite".
I'm also getting weary of that. And the fact that Fargo is already "defending" his game (from the fans and backers, no less), with such falsehoods and half-truths, means he knows something is amiss.

By the way, he also says:
We tried to take the best parts of the essence of Bard's Tale, keep them, but give them a new perspective.
What exactly are the best parts of the essence of Bard's Tale? Don't forget that you have already "gave it a new perspective" in 2004 and most of the original fans aren't too happy about that. Now we know, that you got new fans by that and also that they're getting their share of "dark humour" in BT4 as well. And the people who don't know BT get to watch awesome twitch streams. What we don't know, is what fans of the originals get exactly. How about a meaty article, or update, that is actually about that and not the usual half-truths and marketing hype?
thebruce wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 8:03 pm
Here, the context is a Bard's Tale sequel, not just a modern RPG with classic elements thrown in and some nostalgic content to assuage the angst of die-hard fanatics. And that's how it felt reading some of those quotes. It feels very alienating as a backer based on the hope of receiving a faithful sequel to the classics, to be lumped in with people who'd rather see an unsuccessful badly designed modern game (which I don't get the sense anyone who loves the classics is advocating)...

We understand that there are classic elements that won't sell well in the sequel. We're not pushing for bad game design, we're pushing for a feel that keeps the sequel in line with its namesake. Didn't feel like that was a fair portrayal of this 'niche' community in that article.
Indeed, I think I am not unfair to get offended, by how Brian Fargo is treating the backers and hardcore fans. He got really carried away: Instead of being here and communicating with the "core group" - as he says, he's badmouthing us on external channels, insinuating we're some kind of rabid dogs, that need a bone thrown, to shut our mouths.
demeisen wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 7:47 pm
PoE1 helped to rekindle BG-likes as a viable niche. My hope is that BT4 may do similar with TBB's, and we see a little resurgence, which may in turn provide more options to pick from in the future. It's been slim pickings for those who don't like what EA and Bethesda make.
thebruce wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 8:03 pm
Of course we all want a game that will be successful - but at what expense?
To be honest, I'm close to the point, where I'd rather see BT4 flop and be left to rest in peace, than seeing the same happen to it, that happened Fallout (and lately, in the movie industry, Star Wars).

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 4th, 2018, 7:36 pm

demeisen wrote:
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
Why are most of the posts in this forum from those of us who are strongly opposed to the direction we've seen?
Well, that's not how I'd qualify what I've seen. Look in the first alpha thread: there's a lot of people saying they like what they see,
Look at the past few years of activity on this forum. Most of the feedback has been negative, based on everything we knew at the time, which largely matches what we saw in the demo release. And I'm not just talking about a small group of us. Lots of people dropped in to post a couple of times about how disappointed they were (and many to ask how the remasters were coming along too). Although the KS comments are somewhat more positive about this new game, there is a definite trend of people there yawning and asking when the remasters are going to be finished.

And, again, what happened to the people who were enthusiastic about the demo release? They seem to have mostly faded away and are not defending it, aside from maybe you. Where's the passion for inXile's vision?
demeisen wrote:
Anyway, what alternatives do we have? If BT4 gets shot down for not being ideal, then how long might it be before someone else gets brave enough to try catering to our little sub-niche - a niche that died out because it was seen as no longer commercial viable?
I am not sure why old school Bard's Tale fans should be asked to compromise their ideals or principles to make a game allegedly viable for some company or to allegedly revive a genre. I certainly didn't sign up for this forum just to be inXile's lapdog. You can call me myopic if you want, but I am literally here for the sole purpose of seeing a worthy successor to the original Bard's Tale series be made.
cmibl<enter>

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » May 5th, 2018, 4:33 am

Let's look at the description of BT4, on the official store pages (Steam and GOG):
Over one hundred years later, the terrible events of Skara Brae’s violent destruction are nearly forgotten.
Yeah, because a city being destroyed and the gods themselves being killed by a mad god, then saved by time and dimension-travelling heroes, who become the new gods, including constellations on the sky, just get forgotten. What kind of fucked up world is this?
Oh, by the way, "what's a paladin?"
Create your own characters and play as a Bard, Fighter, Practitioner or Rogue. Specialize your choice in 4-6 different subclasses.
I guess paladins, monks and hunters look too 1995, for Inxile. By the way, how about magicians and conjurers? Too 80's?
Choose one of seven cultures to build an array of characters which make each playthrough an unique experience.
Cultures? I'm not a native English speaker, but pretty sure the correct word is "races". I have learned this word 30 years ago, as a kid, from games. Or is it an 1980 word too?
Start your party with a single adventurer. Recruit new heroes to bolster your ranks.
Thanks for "answering" this question, but no thanks for ignoring issue #6 on the backer poll. Also, where do we recruit heroes, if the Adventurer's Guild is "outlawed"?
Battle your enemies in challenging turn-based tactical combat that rewards clever thinking.
What happened to "phase-based"? It was so fresh and so 2015, now we're back to this boring, old "turn-based"? Tsk, tsk, InXile. The "humorous" xboxers are already getting angry about this.
Solve over 200 demanding puzzles. Unlock their true potential step-by-step by solving their unique mysteries, with thousands of potential combinations...
Hundreds of puzzles, thousands of combinations... Ahem... How many dungeons and dungeon levels will BT4 feature? How many unique monster types and how many of those are based on the classics? Number of spells???

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 5th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Well, look on the bright side, at least they didn't mention the remasters of the originals being bundled with this new, non-Bard's Tale game. One of my fears is that, if the remasters are finished decently and bundled with the "main game", people will buy it to get at the remasters and end up fueling more inXile depredations against old games.

Also, the system requirements mention a keyboard - that's at least a positive.
cmibl<enter>

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » May 5th, 2018, 4:35 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 4th, 2018, 7:36 pm
I am not sure why old school Bard's Tale fans should be asked to compromise their ideals or principles to make a game allegedly viable for some company or to allegedly revive a genre.
Well, that's certainly a fair sentiment. I see where you're coming from.

It's not that I see BT4 as ideal myself (I want a lot of the same things other folks seem to want, judging by forum comments). I just think it's worth encouraging movement in a general direction away from many of the broad trends I've seen in CRPGs in recent years, even if any given game doing so is imperfect. The perfect is the enemy of the good - and sometimes, of existence at all. In the long view, I'll take a flawed BT4 if it helps to get to some future game that's even closer to my ideal one. I'm rather nervous about the whole subgenre going away for good.

I also hope for at least some of the gap between what the alpha is, and what I hope for, to be addressed before release. I don't expect to see all of what I want, given the realities that come with a small budget, but perhaps more can happen in the future. Or perhaps not, but at least the door is left ajar.
Related: one of the things that irked me a little about the alpha videos was how object interaction seemed to work. Instead of a mouse cursor that was movable without changing the view, it appeared that the only way you could interact with a puzzle (say) was to glue your nose to it, console style. I hope there might be some toggle for that, so you could rotate the view with RMB+mouse or something, and then LMB to interact. It's a small thing, but it triggers my consolization-phobia.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 5th, 2018, 5:32 pm

demeisen wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 4:35 pm
I just think it's worth encouraging movement in a general direction away from many of the broad trends I've seen in CRPGs in recent years, even if any given game doing so is imperfect.
Maybe you've stated this elsewhere, but can you remind me which recent trends BT IV is moving away from? In comparison to BT III, it seems to be moving towards a lot of trends.
demeisen wrote:
The perfect is the enemy of the good - and sometimes, of existence at all.
I can handle imperfection. The original BT game was imperfect; it had some balance issues, some data quality issues, some UI/UX issues, and some outright bugs - all of which varied by platform to one extent or another. But, it was also wonderful. It had a great atmosphere, a good sense of adventure and immersion. It was an escape into a fantasy world all of its own. It was a fun game to be remembered fondly and dusted off again years later.

Your statement seems to imply that you regard BT IV as "the good". I must respectfully disagree. I would consider it to be "the bad" or "the ugly". And, that's not even commenting on its relationship to the previous games in the series.... Also, if inXile can't make a good Bard's Tale game, I would rather it didn't exist at all. Call me nihilistic if you want, but sometimes things are better left unmade if they can't be made properly.
demeisen wrote:
Related: one of the things that irked me a little about the alpha videos was how object interaction seemed to work. Instead of a mouse cursor that was movable without changing the view, it appeared that the only way you could interact with a puzzle (say) was to glue your nose to it, console style. I hope there might be some toggle for that, so you could rotate the view with RMB+mouse or something, and then LMB to interact. It's a small thing, but it triggers my consolization-phobia.
On this we agree. I guess I could fire up the demo release again and see if there is any keyboard manipulation of that puzzle sword. I didn't make it that far after the demo was released, because my system is too old to handle it gracefully. And because I had already filed about a dozen bug reports by the time I even got around to opening the gate to Langskaal Castle... and was left feeling fatigued by the exercise. :)
cmibl<enter>

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » May 6th, 2018, 10:48 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 5:32 pm
Maybe you've stated this elsewhere, but can you remind me which recent trends BT IV is moving away from?
I'm thinking of things like:
  • Shooter mechanics with stats, Oblivion / Skyrim style. Most of the top selling CRPGs of recent decades have been of this form. I don't have an AK-47, no... I have a fireball! It just happens to be aimed like an AK-47. Or a bow, ditto. Fundamentally the game is an FPS and uses FPS play mechanics. Skyrim sold 30 million units, which utterly dwarves the CRPG styles I happen to prefer, and for a while it seemed it would be the fate of the whole CRPG space. It sells, in a huge way. BT4 is not this.
  • Online DRM, or splitting the game between your machine and a server so it can't be played stand-alone. BT4 is not this.
  • Steam-only releases, which makes games a non-starter for a lot of people. BT4 is not this.
  • Single player-character (and thus also single-class, or sometimes even classless) game mechanics. BT4 is not this.
  • Micro-transaction games. It is hugely trendy. BT4 is not this.
  • Console-only games, or mobile-only games. BT4 is not this.
I could go on, but that's a sampling. I'm not arguing that every recent RPG has fallen into these trends: for instance, Pillars and Grimrock were lovely games which both bucked many CRPG trends. However, Pillars is a BG-like, and Grimrock is a DM-like (real time blobber). In BT4, we're getting a restoration of the turn-based-party-blobber, a subgenre I haven't seen much of in a long while, and which is niche even compared with BG-likes, which are themselves niche compared to FPS-RPG.

In the end, for me a lot of how much I like or don't like BT4 will come down to how the game world feels, and that's hard to know at this juncture. If it has a darker / menacing feel to it, that's going to help me overlook some other warts, especially if there's hope of those warts being improved on in the future. On the other hand if it's too jovial or comedic, that'll put me off, just like BT2004 did.

Also, so far we've seen an alpha, and typically some things change between alpha and release based on community feedback. I'd bet we won't see all the community feedback reflected, but may see some.
The original BT game was imperfect; it had some balance issues, some data quality issues, some UI/UX issues, and some outright bugs - all of which varied by platform to one extent or another. But, it was also wonderful. It had a great atmosphere, a good sense of adventure and immersion.
Agreed, although a lot of that immersion was relative to its contemporaries. When DM came out a few years later, I thought that had more immersion than BT did, given all the then-novel world interactions and in-world creatures.

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 6th, 2018, 11:24 am

demeisen wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 10:48 am
I'm thinking of things like:
  • Online DRM, or splitting the game between your machine and a server so it can't be played stand-alone. BT4 is not this.
  • Steam-only releases, which makes games a non-starter for a lot of people. BT4 is not this.
  • Micro-transaction games. It is hugely trendy. BT4 is not this.
  • Console-only games, or mobile-only games. BT4 is not this.
Yes, BT4 is none of these. But, they are all "meta" issues rather than issues about the core game mechanics. And, they are all trends that inXile has explicitly eschewed in its games, as far as I know. So, it never really moved towards those trends to start with, so it can't really be said to be moving away from them either.
  • Shooter mechanics with stats, Oblivion / Skyrim style. Most of the top selling CRPGs of recent decades have been of this form. I don't have an AK-47, no... I have a fireball! It just happens to be aimed like an AK-47. Or a bow, ditto. Fundamentally the game is an FPS and uses FPS play mechanics. Skyrim sold 30 million units, which utterly dwarves the CRPG styles I happen to prefer, and for a while it seemed it would be the fate of the whole CRPG space. It sells, in a huge way. BT4 is not this.
This is true, but there have been other exceptions over the past 5 years, as you mention. So, it is not as if the sub-genre of CRPGs/blobbers is in danger of extinction, should BT4 fail to succeed.
  • Single player-character (and thus also single-class, or sometimes even classless) game mechanics. BT4 is not this.
The party might only be able to start with a single PC, though. We don't have a definite answer on whether we're going to be able to roll up a party of 6 or 7 characters to start with. Wording that I've seen recently seems to the contrary. Looks like it could tend in the NWN direction of starting with a single character and adding NPC companions along the way. That's a definite trend away from the tradition of the original series and towards more contemporary RPGs.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 13th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Interview by Shacknews at E3 with David (@ 2:46:25)

A whole bunch of new gameplay footage shown

It's still really bugging me whenever BT4 is described as "modern" and "updated" - it completely dismisses almost the entire gameplay mechanic of BT1-3 and as a way to defend the current mechanic, which is essentially borrowed from a number of already-existing mechanics, just remixed in its current package, and if we hope and request for mechanics from the original trilogy that aren't included then we're asking for outdated obsolete gameplay, rather than just saying "it's not the direction we want to go" =/

I still feel like when people hear "Bard's Tale" and get excited (especially younger people) they're think BT2004. I am REALLY REALLY hoping there are some esthetic changes in the next major BT4 update that distances itself from 2004.

Still not feeling that "Bard's Tale" vibe tho...
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » June 14th, 2018, 4:52 am

Wow, that interface there is truly disgusting. The new portraits now have generic, asset-store feel. The dungeon-crawling is completely dumb, swinging pendulums, pushing around massive stone pillars that feel like cardboard, etc. Zero grid-based dungeon-crawling, "press A to throw grappling hook" style exploration, shitty minigame puzzles.

Graphics and animation is about 2010ish at best. Those 3D "paper-dolls" though... They are truly awful, like they are actually straight out of BT2004.

It's like a 3D Darkest Dungeon. If you like Darkest Dungeon you gonna like this. How about if I don't like Darkest Dungeon? Darkest Dungeon is awesome... for about 10 hours. Then it becones the most boring and repetitive game. But of course it has ~1.5 million owners and obviously that's what InXile cares about the most. Fans of Shin Megami Tensei, Hearthstone and The Room will also like BT4. Fans of BT1-3 and Dragon Wars, not so much, but who cares about those few thousand people. Not Inxile, I quote: "The whole thing is built with those first-time players in mind."
thebruce wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 2:31 pm
...if we hope and request for mechanics from the original trilogy that aren't included then we're asking for outdated obsolete gameplay, rather than just saying "it's not the direction we want to go"
Yeah, dismissing the hardcore fans, as a few non-progressive old-geezers blinded by nostalgia asking for an outdated game, is what they're doing. Making up narratives about disgruntled fans is how the big boys do it: Just look at Disney/Lucasfilm's narrative about the racist, misogynist, toxic white male fanbase, for not buying their garbage non-Star Wars movies.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » June 14th, 2018, 7:16 am

The more information about BT4 I get the more I'm losing interest in actually playing it.
ZiN wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 4:52 am
It's like a 3D Darkest Dungeon. If you like Darkest Dungeon you gonna like this.
They should have created a new IP and pitched it as a 3D Darkest Dungeons instead.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » June 14th, 2018, 7:19 am

thebruce wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 2:31 pm
I am REALLY REALLY hoping there are some esthetic changes in the next major BT4 update that distances itself from 2004.
I have a strong feeling that it will be sadly the other way round

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 14th, 2018, 7:38 am

PsychicMonk wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 7:16 am
The more information about BT4 I get the more I'm losing interest in actually playing it.
I fired up the demo release when it first came out. Filed about a dozen bug reports, sighed "meh", and shut it down before even stepping inside the castle. Iow, I've already mostly lost interest in it. Not that my expectations or interest level were high, at that point, after three years of depressing news about it.
PsychicMonk wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 7:16 am
They should have created a new IP and pitched it as a 3D Darkest Dungeons instead.
Yep. That's something we keep saying. It's Bard's Tale: In Name Only 2. I've honestly come to dread the KS updates from inXile and am actually glad of how infrequent they are. Gives me time to recover from the depression of the previous one before the next one hits. The only good update was the one in which they mentioned that Krome would be doing the remasters.
cmibl<enter>

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » June 14th, 2018, 11:24 am

ZiN wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 4:52 am
Those 3D "paper-dolls" though... They are truly awful, like they are actually straight out of BT2004.
That comment made me curious, so I put the video on mute and waited until they appeared:

Image Image

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 14th, 2018, 11:47 am

An in-house art style used for both titles, perhaps?
(...And in WL3.)

It's not really my preferred style... It looks a bit like something out of the Dreamland Chronicles. :?