Update 39: Puzzle Weapons, Backer Portal, and a Vote!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Re: Update 39: Puzzle Weapons, Backer Portal, and a Vote!

Post by Crosmando » December 7th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Puzzle weapons sure do sound interesting, but it's a whole lot of effort for what seems to be very much a secondary type of feature for this type of game (also very adventure gamey tbh). Still waiting for more information on core gameplay - combat, character systems, maps.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » December 8th, 2017, 3:19 am

Crosmando wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 9:22 pm
Still waiting for more information on core gameplay - combat, character systems, maps.
I get the feeling that this stuff isn't ready for presentation yet. We may get a lot of this information in one burst when the backer alpha is released (hopefully next year).

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » December 9th, 2017, 1:07 am

Crosmando wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 9:22 pm
Puzzle weapons sure do sound interesting, but it's a whole lot of effort for what seems to be very much a secondary type of feature for this type of game (also very adventure gamey tbh). Still waiting for more information on core gameplay - combat, character systems, maps.
Yes, exactly what i meant as well in my first reply. In particular, they haven't showed the grid / free-roam movement in action, which is a highly debated core gameplay element.
At least, we should start getting class previews in the coming updates, we'll see if they're any good around February i guess, unless they start doing updates more frequently, than every 3 months.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 9th, 2017, 8:54 am

On the subject of coming updates:
Infinitron wrote:
mediajuice studios wrote:http://mediajuicestudios.com/2017/12/03 ... ian-fargo/
A really fun episode! Game industry veteran Brian Fargo stops by to talk with Jeremy about his career, crowdfunding, and the "state of the industry" in game development.
Listening to this now. Brian says there'll be a major Bard's Tale IV update next month with gameplay footage.
Who knows what we'll see, but this sounds promising.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 10th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Nice.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » December 22nd, 2017, 2:18 pm

ZiN wrote:
December 6th, 2017, 12:25 am
Zombra wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 5:10 pm
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 4:55 pm
Seems like [Bard] is an archtype rather than a class. Could imply that there is more than one class of Bard in the game.
Whoa! You're right! If I'm reading this correctly, there will be at least four different Bard subclasses in the game! Mind blown! :o
Maybe. From what I've seen so far, they are more like specializations/builds than full fledged classes.
Well, if they are specializations rather than classes, then they are using the word class to mean specialization and the word archtype to mean class:
Update 40 wrote: Within this archetype you can specialize into the following classes: the enemy-controlling Troubadour, the damage-bolstering Rabble Rouser, the aura-generating War Chanter, the resource-enhancing Minstrel, the nimble and lethal Jester, and the magical booze-concocting Brew Master.
cmibl<enter>

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 22nd, 2017, 9:54 pm

I dunno, the fact that the War Chanter focuses on auras, Troubadour on crowd control etc seems to indicate that each of them will have unique spells and abilities available only to that type, which to me fits with what a "class" is.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 25th, 2018, 4:13 am

So do we still get that update this month?

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » January 25th, 2018, 10:24 am

Hey Crosmando, probably closer to early February. David Rogers is writing up the Bard class deep dive, but he's had to focus on the actual game for the most part. Our current timeline has him writing it next week, and from there the various edits, double-checks, approvals, etc. so I'm shooting for the week after next.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » February 12th, 2018, 7:55 pm

phimseto wrote:
January 25th, 2018, 10:24 am
Hey Crosmando, probably closer to early February. David Rogers is writing up the Bard class deep dive, but he's had to focus on the actual game for the most part. Our current timeline has him writing it next week, and from there the various edits, double-checks, approvals, etc. so I'm shooting for the week after next.
Soon?

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » February 12th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Yeah, I posted on the KS comments earlier tonight that the backer update is done and making the internal rounds right now. It should be out in the very near future.

drewannrez
Initiate

Post by drewannrez » August 22nd, 2018, 6:24 pm

The perfect rogue/thief weapon.