Guide to recruiting Pizepi Joren (Darwin village)

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

seanlo
Initiate

Guide to recruiting Pizepi Joren (Darwin village)

Post by seanlo » September 28th, 2014, 5:41 am

Hello all,

I wanted to share my findings on recruiting Pizepi Joren. Good news: You can recruit her with a team of 4 mercs with 1 charisma each. HOWEVER, you must equip yourselves with the dog collar and use the temporary melon effects. Let me share how:

22 total team charisma is the cutoff to recruiting Pizepi Joren. This is verified after multiple reloads. This includes temporary buffs.

1) If you choose to create a team of 4 mercs with 1 charisma, do NOT open chests in Ag Center until you are ready to savescum. Pay attention to the loot that is dropped whenever you pop a chest. If it contains a skill based item (IE: +1 animal whisperer), it will have a chance to drop a dog collar (+1 charisma). Repeatedly reload until you have enough.

2) Collect the 5x melons from Ag Center which gives the temporary +1 charisma.

3) Clear Darwin village without killing a single Zombie. Select do not tell option. (I did not verify if it would work in other possible paths). Exit the zone.

4) At the world map, equip all the dog collars, and use the melons until you have a total team charisma of 22. I did this with Rose, Takayuki and Ralphy (Total 10 charisma). My team had a total of 4 charisma. Potentially, you have an additional 5 points from Melons, and 7 points from dog collars. Reenter the map, and go back to the entrance of the lab. Near the entrance, Pizepi loren should spawn and ask to join your team.

Additional Note for recruiting Gary NaCL (DBM victory): He requires 25 Charisma. Hence, you will need to min max, use 1 melon, and save 4 melons for Gary if you create a 4x team member of 1 charisma.

Hope that works for you. :)
Last edited by seanlo on September 29th, 2014, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ehrgeix
Scholar

Re: Guide to recruiting Pizepi Joren (Darwin village)

Post by ehrgeix » September 28th, 2014, 5:45 am

Hm, I recruited her with 20 charisma, 100% sure, tested multiple times etc.

Bhallspawn
Initiate

Post by Bhallspawn » September 28th, 2014, 6:33 am

And i got her while killing every zombie.

diivil
Initiate

Post by diivil » September 28th, 2014, 6:42 am

I tested this as well. 22 charisma seems to be correct. You can kill as many zombies as you want, just tell Jan you won't tell anyone about Darwin.

You don't need to go to the world map. Go to where Pizepi should be, get up to 22 charisma, save and reload. She will appear after you reload.

diivil
Initiate

Post by diivil » September 28th, 2014, 6:44 am

ehrgeix wrote:Hm, I recruited her with 20 charisma, 100% sure, tested multiple times etc.
I tested it multiple times, upwards to a 100 actually. She never appeared when I had 21 or less charisma. It's possible that the are other factors that might lower the requirement but for me right after finishing Darwin she only appeared when I had 22.

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » September 28th, 2014, 7:15 am

I got her at 21 charisma, and someone else on this forum said they got her at 19 charisma.

Her appearance requirements are just totally bugged at the moment.

In fact here is the thread I posted with two save files, one where she does not show up with 21 charisma, and one where she does show up at 21 charisma. The party is exactly the same in both saves.

veevoir
Acolyte

Post by veevoir » September 28th, 2014, 7:33 am

1) If you choose to create a team of 4 mercs with 1 charisma, do NOT open chests in Ag Center until you are ready to savescum. Pay attention to the loot that is dropped whenever you pop a chest. If it contains a skill based item (IE: +1 animal whisperer), it will have a chance to drop a dog collar (+1 charisma). Repeatedly reload until you have enough.
Instead of endlessly grinding a save just open your save (in notepad) after leaving darwin and add that charisma to one of the rangers. Re-edit the save after youre done recruiting.

Both ways are cheating, one takes less time ;)

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » September 28th, 2014, 9:41 am

You can also find the quest item in a toaster to give to the honeydew melon farmer in exchange for honeydews which raise your cha and can stack, I believe.

jfood
Initiate

Post by jfood » September 28th, 2014, 11:24 am

I killed every last mutant in the place after finding the Black List and Pizepi was standing outside waiting to be recruited.

It's just not flagging right.

Whelp
Acolyte

Post by Whelp » September 28th, 2014, 12:03 pm

I recruited her with 20 or less charisma, no spiked collers, no melons.

All I did was do the underground lab without killing a single mutant, tell them that I would keep their secret, tell Vargas and the map guy that Darwin is uninhabited. Then I came back to Darwin and there she was.

I actually think she might not be charisma locked at all, but you have to do the other stuff.

Tyraforce
Scholar

Post by Tyraforce » September 28th, 2014, 12:14 pm

With a sub 20 cha party I killed all mutants and she was there. I did the last fight again, she wasnt there. I did the whole lab again, selected not tell. she was not there. I loaded last save selected will tell, killed then and she was there. So she might be random under certain cha and killing all mutants might help.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 28th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Whelp wrote:I actually think she might not be charisma locked at all, but you have to do the other stuff.
Sounds like it might be a sliding scale, with your actions in Darwin acting as modifiers to her Charisma lock.

If so, that's pretty neat.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » September 28th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Drool wrote:
Whelp wrote:I actually think she might not be charisma locked at all, but you have to do the other stuff.
Sounds like it might be a sliding scale, with your actions in Darwin acting as modifiers to her Charisma lock.

If so, that's pretty neat.
That doesn't make sense though. The post above yours said that they killed all the mutants and got her with less than 20 cha. You would think that killing everyone would make it harder, not easier.

Tuhalu
Initiate

Post by Tuhalu » September 29th, 2014, 8:52 pm

My experience with Pizepi is as follows:
One one playthrough, I only killed the first group of plague mutants at the front of Darwin Village. Stopped the plague without killing anything else and promised not to talk about the mutants in Darwin Village. Went outside, no Pizepi.

Killed the second set of Plague Mutants in Darwin Village. Left Darwin Village, immediately came back in. Pizepi was there.

On a second playthrough, I killed all the plague mutants in the upper area. Everything else the same and still no Pizepi. Came back much to Darwin Village much later and she was there.

Did any of you get Pizepi without leaving Darwin Village at all? Did any of you get Pizepi without clearing both groups of mutants in the upper area of the village?

MrMoe
Explorer

Post by MrMoe » September 29th, 2014, 11:39 pm

Do you need a minimum on other skills to do the Darwin quest, especially CS and Perception?

Exogorth
Acolyte

Post by Exogorth » September 30th, 2014, 12:16 am

Tuhalu wrote:Did any of you get Pizepi without leaving Darwin Village at all? Did any of you get Pizepi without clearing both groups of mutants in the upper area of the village?
I never even saw her in my first playthrough. I only went to the village once. Maybe you have to leave and then come back for her to show up. On a second playthrough now with the intention to recruit her. Will see what happens.

ehrgeix
Scholar

Post by ehrgeix » September 30th, 2014, 1:27 am

Re: Tuhalu - yes to both questions. Only cleared one group of zombies, didn't leave village. I did clear one group of zombies underground though (accidental aggro before the final plague cure thing).

e: I wonder if it's like a really high cha lock, and it's supposed to be, every zombie you DON'T kill reduces it by 1. But actually it's every zombie you DO kill? (bug). This is pretty unlikely I guess, but I don't understand what's going on.

Doctor Feh
Initiate

Post by Doctor Feh » September 30th, 2014, 7:11 am

My party leader has the dog collar trinket so a total of 16 CHA in my original foursome. I also had Angela, Vulture's Cry and Ralphy in tow so if they count that puts me up over 22. I killed all the zombies up above but tried to go the peaceful back way once Jan asked, but I had to kill nine zombies due to a fudged alarm disarm before I got to the air filtration. The remaining ones were still positive and I promised to keep Darwin a secret, and Pizepi was right outside when I left the lab. Recruited her with no problems.

Exogorth
Acolyte

Post by Exogorth » September 30th, 2014, 7:13 am

OK, just tried it. Killed the first group of mutants near the outside entrance. Opened the gate to avoid the second group of mutants. Didn't kill any mutants in the bunker. Reported back to Jan, promised not to talk about Darwin. Had exactly 21 party CHA. Exited bunker, no Pizepi. Exited map and re-entered. No Pizepi. Put on Dog Collar for 22 CHA. Exited map and re-entered, Pizepi was there.

Jarin
Novice

Post by Jarin » September 30th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Just another data-point for the collection.

1. Finished Darwin with minimal casualties.
2. Promised not to tell anyone (tooootally lying, but whatever)
3. 19 +5 base party cha (9+1+1+1+ ralphy(2) + rose (3) + angela (2) + fruit (5))

She did not appear as I left the bunker. But I zoned out to the world map and ran back in (with the buffs still up) and when I ran back towards the bunker she was standing at the gate.

Yeah, looks kinda buggy.

Edit: Also picked up two meson cannons in the bunker, so she's set for firepower for a good while. :D