Curing dog at Oracle Angel

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

xanieeee
Initiate

Curing dog at Oracle Angel

Post by xanieeee » September 27th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Ok, after stealing the microscope from Oracle's clinic for another quest(cure Rodia's sickness) I came back to find that a boy's dog is sick and Oracle's doctor can't cure it because someone "stole" his microscope.

My journal says I have to "bring back" the microscope to its proper owner so that the Oracle doctor can cure the infected dog.

The thing is, there is no option to get the microscope back. I searched Rodia's hospital and asked the funny looking doctor but there's no option to get the microscope back from him.

Also it's weird that I can't use the cure I got from The Red Skropion's quest. If I remember correctly it's the same illness. I have it on my inventory but it seems nothing happens when I use it on the dog.

Did I encounter a bug or am I missing something?

RangerJake
Novice

Re: Curing dog at Oracle Angel

Post by RangerJake » September 27th, 2014, 2:32 pm

xanieeee wrote:Ok, after stealing the microscope from Oracle's clinic for another quest(cure Rodia's sickness) I came back to find that a boy's dog is sick and Oracle's doctor can't cure it because someone "stole" his microscope.

My journal says I have to "bring back" the microscope to its proper owner so that the Oracle doctor can cure the infected dog.

The thing is, there is no option to get the microscope back. I searched Rodia's hospital and asked the funny looking doctor but there's no option to get the microscope back from him.

Also it's weird that I can't use the cure I got from The Red Skropion's quest. If I remember correctly it's the same illness. I have it on my inventory but it seems nothing happens when I use it on the dog.

Did I encounter a bug or am I missing something?
The cure itself is not a big deal, you'll just get it from the Doctor in Angel Oracle. The problem is that unless he can confirm that the disease is gone (ergo, he has the Microscope to do so) then the dog gets killed.

I had a similar issue, I even traveled directly to Rhodia, but like you said, no dialogue option to get the microscope back.

You have to talk to the doctor in Angel Oracle first. He trips a flag that allows you to get the microscope back from Horchata in Rhodia.

xanieeee
Initiate

Post by xanieeee » September 27th, 2014, 2:57 pm

I already did. I talked to him, got the journal update but nothing happens when I talk to Rodia's doctor. There's no dialogue choice to get the microscope back.

RangerJake
Novice

Post by RangerJake » September 27th, 2014, 3:32 pm

xanieeee wrote:I already did. I talked to him, got the journal update but nothing happens when I talk to Rodia's doctor. There's no dialogue choice to get the microscope back.
Did you finish Horchata's quest line and clear the well?

Tyraforce
Scholar

Post by Tyraforce » September 27th, 2014, 4:02 pm

I had exactly sthe same problem. There was no way to get the mocroscope back.

Well, stealing is bad. This time it was bad for the dog and cost me a bullet.

RangerJake
Novice

Post by RangerJake » September 27th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Tyraforce wrote:I had exactly sthe same problem. There was no way to get the mocroscope back.

Well, stealing is bad. This time it was bad for the dog and cost me a bullet.
Wait - I see what happened here. I actually asked the Doctor in Angel Oracle for the Microscope and got his permission to lend it to Rhodia.

If you swiped it and just gave it to Horchata, it looks like some designer forgot to cover this case in his flag setting for the quest. Definitely a bug.

xanieeee
Initiate

Post by xanieeee » September 27th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Welp. That just happened to me. I stole it and never got the chance to return it.

Can a mod please transfer this to the technical help section?

kikidori
Initiate

Post by kikidori » September 29th, 2014, 12:16 pm

I manged to get the cure, but I can't open the fence for it. There is no key, I can't destroy the fence with bullets, spade or explosions or Bruteforce. I can't pick the lock with Safe-cracking, lockpicking or Computer Hacking. I don't have a key either, so I can't finish the quest cause I can't physically get to the dog -.- This is so stupid.

Dark
Scholar

Post by Dark » September 29th, 2014, 1:57 pm

So if we stole the microscope we can't solve this?

Ugh, I'll have to look over my saves, it's not too far back. :?
kikidori wrote:I manged to get the cure, but I can't open the fence for it. There is no key, I can't destroy the fence with bullets, spade or explosions or Bruteforce. I can't pick the lock with Safe-cracking, lockpicking or Computer Hacking. I don't have a key either, so I can't finish the quest cause I can't physically get to the dog -.- This is so stupid.
Did you get the cure with or without stealing the microscope?

vyvexthorne
Acolyte

Post by vyvexthorne » September 29th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Pretty sure I stole it.. but it was after I had solved the major plot at Oracle.. On many trips back and forth hunting for things like denture cream, shampoo and gloves I have never experienced a boy and a sick dog.

However, even if I did.. I doubt I would care as stealing the microscope saved a bunch of people. People > Dog.

hobblinharry
Novice

Post by hobblinharry » September 29th, 2014, 8:21 pm

I haven't fully investigated Angel Oracle after being allowed back in. Where is the boy and the dog so I can check for myself?

Dark
Scholar

Post by Dark » September 30th, 2014, 12:50 am

kikidori wrote:I manged to get the cure, but I can't open the fence for it. There is no key, I can't destroy the fence with bullets, spade or explosions or Bruteforce. I can't pick the lock with Safe-cracking, lockpicking or Computer Hacking. I don't have a key either, so I can't finish the quest cause I can't physically get to the dog -.- This is so stupid.
I just did this. Didn't involve the fence at all, just talk to the dog.
hobblinharry wrote:I haven't fully investigated Angel Oracle after being allowed back in. Where is the boy and the dog so I can check for myself?
Facing the entrance, it's to the left. Opposite of where the hobo and guard tower are.

hobblinharry
Novice

Post by hobblinharry » September 30th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Okay so I went to the dog, got the quest. Spoke to the Dr in Angel Oracle, quest updated to "bring back microscope." Spoke to Dr in Rodia and can confirm that he does not give any options for the microscope to take back. I looked all around the hospital too to see if it was a lootable item, and it is not.

I imagine theres no issue if you get permission to borrow the microscope or even do the quest before taking the microscope at all. It could be intended to not be able to complete this quest if you steal the 'scope but the Dr in Rodia should atleast say something like "Im sorry but it is too valuable to part with"

Artazz
Initiate

Post by Artazz » September 30th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Just shoot that damn dog. Problem solved.

phutai1984
Initiate

Post by phutai1984 » February 1st, 2015, 9:13 pm

I did it. I stole the Microscope and still solve the quest.

First thing first. No, you cant solve the quest if you stole the Microscope. But you CAN assume you did borrow back the Microscope from the Dr. Horchata in Rodia. You give the Microscope to Dr. Edwinson in Angel Oracle. He will give you the "Blisterpaw Cure".

And this is the trick. Pick the 1st Character, spare him 1 bullet (any kind of bullet, i chose this kind 7.62mm - the code is "Ammo_7.62mm_S"). OK, here is the magic, you transform the "7.62mm" bullet to be the "Blisterpaw Cure". To do that, You save your game to a file lets say it the file "1". Then you go to the C:\Users\Alienware\Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Save Games\1, then you will see a file 1.XML. You open it with the "notepad" (right mouse on it, then chose "open with")

And this is the infomation you need to know:

*To change item in inventory, you need to format it like this (items with or without spaces are intermixed, so note that format when using an items code)

<ItemData><resourceName>ITEM CODE HERE (No spaces)</resourceName><slot>-1</slot><ammoCount>-1</ammoCount><quantity>1</quantity></ItemData>
Be sure that you add the code inside the <inventory></inventory> brackets, otherwise you could mess up the code.

* The -1 in the <slot>-1</slot> part means that it is in your inventory. If the slot is anything else it is in a reserved slot for specific items, like armor or weapons.

Ok, done the lesson.

Now you search the string "Ammo_7.62mm_S" (using ctrl+F), it should be shown to you the code it form the bullet you have spared to the 1st Character before. To make sure that you pick the right Character, you use the "up" and "find next" until the error board say "can not find Ammo_7.62mm_S" anymore. You change the string "Ammo_7.62mm_S" to the string "Blisterpaw Cure". Then save it.

Now go back to the game. Load file "1". Then, boom, wooa lah. You did it, you have "Blisterpaw Cure" in the 1st Character's inventory. Now go outside and use it on Diva, the god damn dog =))

Duchess of Kvetch
Initiate

Post by Duchess of Kvetch » February 23rd, 2015, 6:58 am

Using patch 6, didn't run into this at all, oddly.

I went to Rodia first, got the quest to get the microscope - then asked for permission in Angel Oracle (required a speech check as I recall). The microscope disappeared from the table it was on when I was successful. However, coming back into the Hospital later (after the main Angel Oracle execution scenario was resolved, but before I had left town), the miscroscope had respawned back in its former spot. I could take that one too, I noticed (but left it alone).

When I returned sometime later to AO, I saw no message from the doctor about needing one for a sick dog (presumable because the microscope didn't actually trigger as missing).

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Post by ZonkerBrainless » February 23rd, 2015, 8:35 am

Isn't blisterpaw the same disease the dogs had at that other place? Couldn't you just use the item you get at that point?

Stargazer
Novice

Post by Stargazer » October 24th, 2017, 1:45 am

Thread necro alert, I'm sharing how I did this and I also have a question.
I had asked nicely to borrow the microscope, which I then "lent" to the Dr in Rodia to complete the quest to cure the town's farmers.
On return to Oracle I came across the dog, which was about to be shot by the Mannerites. Going back to the hospital, Dr Edwinson told me that he couldn't do anything without the microscope. But instead of hoofing it back all the way to Rodia, there was a microscope in the room with the medical supplies. I took it , gave it to Dr Edwinson and got the cure in return.
My question is how do you cure the dog? I used the cure on Diva from outside the enclosure (opening it without using the cure first causes Diva to run out, bite Pete and then run off) after which the door automatically opened and the dog still ran off.
Is Pete not meant to be reunited with DIva?