Saving both AG and Highpool possible?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Sslaxx
Initiate

Saving both AG and Highpool possible?

Post by Sslaxx » September 25th, 2014, 11:38 am

http://steamcommunity.com/app/240760/di ... 627931286/ - at least, that's what is being claimed here. I don't know how truthful this claim is (haven't tried it myself), but can anyone confirm/deny this (and why)?

marceror
Adventurer

Re: Saving both AG and Highpool possible?

Post by marceror » September 25th, 2014, 11:41 am

No, not based on my understanding it isn't. This was always meant to be a tough decision. Save one, lose the other.

Sslaxx
Initiate

Post by Sslaxx » September 25th, 2014, 11:43 am

marceror wrote:No, not based on my understanding it isn't. This was always meant to be a tough decision. Save one, lose the other.
Dunno if you've followed that thread, but interestingly enough he implies that the radio tower is destroyed instead if you save both the AG center and Highpool first (note he claims that you should ignore the radio tower before doing them). As I said, I haven't tried to verify his claims (and I don't think anyone else has), so take with (at least) a pinch of salt.

Dark
Scholar

Post by Dark » September 25th, 2014, 11:54 am

Well, that's interesting.

There's always that defunct radio tower in RNC, so it's a plausible sequence of events they could have allowed for, simply repairing the RNC tower with parts from the Radio Tower's tower.

I'm tempted to make a new party, hack the save (and just copy my current over), and see if Highpool exists if I take out AG.

laszlolaszlo
Acolyte

Post by laszlolaszlo » September 25th, 2014, 11:57 am

Didn't notice your thread :) yea im curious about it aswell, might try it out.

veryinky
Scholar

Post by veryinky » September 25th, 2014, 12:03 pm

If it is possible, I'll have to start over again. This is way too big not to do.

If it is possible that is. The developers seem hard set on "all choices are bad".

scout15
Acolyte

Post by scout15 » September 25th, 2014, 12:06 pm

You can't save both, but you can let both get fucked.

Which is what the RNC tower is for. If you salvage parts from both AG and highpool you can repair that tower.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » September 25th, 2014, 12:41 pm

That's interesting stuff. Hopefully someone further tests this. Pretty deep if indeed true.

Grend
Initiate

Post by Grend » September 25th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Now I want to start over :(

laszlolaszlo
Acolyte

Post by laszlolaszlo » September 25th, 2014, 1:03 pm

It doesn't work according to several ppl at the steam forum, also i think i remember some members here actually trying this in the beta with no luck.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 27th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I did notice when I took out the Wrecker camp (after Highpool fell) that there was a blurb on the dot matrix about "If only we'd come here sooner". The implication is that if you take out the Wrecker camp first (and it's weak as hell, totally doable for a starting party), you can stop the attack on Highpool from happening in the first place. Food for thought.

ubinsg
Initiate

Post by ubinsg » September 27th, 2014, 7:15 pm

I attempt to walk out of AG after giving 10 pod remains for Matt's treatment.
Result is Rose will leave your team permanently. :cry:

htl77
Initiate

Post by htl77 » September 27th, 2014, 8:42 pm

It isn't possible to save both. There was a troll on the steam forums who claimed, he had done it, but it was later proven that isn't possible because a trigger is activated as soon as the player enters either highpool or the ag centre. IMHO the game would be much better if it were possible.

Sslaxx
Initiate

Post by Sslaxx » September 28th, 2014, 7:44 am

Zombra wrote:I did notice when I took out the Wrecker camp (after Highpool fell) that there was a blurb on the dot matrix about "If only we'd come here sooner". The implication is that if you take out the Wrecker camp first (and it's weak as hell, totally doable for a starting party), you can stop the attack on Highpool from happening in the first place. Food for thought.
Except it doesn't show up through exploration. It's one of those locations that only shows up by being given the location.

veryinky
Scholar

Post by veryinky » September 28th, 2014, 8:02 am

Well, Wreckers are known for their stealth and subtlety, should be hard to find huge tower surrounded by men who attack everything that moves with explosives and power tools.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 28th, 2014, 8:58 am

htl77 wrote:It isn't possible to save both. There was a troll on the steam forums who claimed, he had done it, but it was later proven that isn't possible because a trigger is activated as soon as the player enters either highpool or the ag centre. IMHO the game would be much better if it were possible.
During some stages of the Beta a few of the triggers got messed up, allowing you to "save" both locations. Of course, then the problem was that it messed up the later triggers, making it impossible to progress beyond a certain point.

But yeah, in the final release version it's concretely only one location or the other.

Personally, I'm not much a fan of being able to save both - unless saving both comes with a real and concrete cost. Otherwise, it's just going to be considered the "real" solution by pretty much everyone. I mean, as it stands, most people have never even tried the "lose both" option, because it's basically the worst of the three. If it were possible to save both locations without some massive drawback, then everyone would just do that instead, and the "save one or the other" solutions would be more or less superfluous.

Sslaxx
Initiate

Post by Sslaxx » September 28th, 2014, 9:37 am

SagaDC wrote:
htl77 wrote:It isn't possible to save both. There was a troll on the steam forums who claimed, he had done it, but it was later proven that isn't possible because a trigger is activated as soon as the player enters either highpool or the ag centre. IMHO the game would be much better if it were possible.
During some stages of the Beta a few of the triggers got messed up, allowing you to "save" both locations. Of course, then the problem was that it messed up the later triggers, making it impossible to progress beyond a certain point.

But yeah, in the final release version it's concretely only one location or the other.

Personally, I'm not much a fan of being able to save both - unless saving both comes with a real and concrete cost. Otherwise, it's just going to be considered the "real" solution by pretty much everyone. I mean, as it stands, most people have never even tried the "lose both" option, because it's basically the worst of the three. If it were possible to save both locations without some massive drawback, then everyone would just do that instead, and the "save one or the other" solutions would be more or less superfluous.
If the cost was the destruction of the repeaters (and/or the radio tower) and the need for level 10 skills (plural, not just computer repair) to get the Highpool and AG towers to work, maybe? Maybe having it that some perishable component had expired in one/both of the repeaters if you'd done the radio tower first, with the repeaters having been destroyed along with the radio tower if you hadn't (also closing off some quests, e.g. robot leg, Ace's journal, toaster/spray paint) and the cat shrine.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 28th, 2014, 9:53 am

Sslaxx wrote:If the cost was the destruction of the repeaters (and/or the radio tower) and the need for level 10 skills (plural, not just computer repair) to get the Highpool and AG towers to work, maybe? Maybe having it that some perishable component had expired in one/both of the repeaters if you'd done the radio tower first, with the repeaters having been destroyed along with the radio tower if you hadn't (also closing off some quests, e.g. robot leg, Ace's journal, toaster/spray paint) and the cat shrine.
Right idea, but not a good execution. The Radio Tower isn't really equitable to Highpool or Ag Center, so if the player was faced with the option to rescue both Highpool and the Ag Center at the cost of the Radio Tower - the Radio Tower would almost certainly be destroyed every time.

To make it a real trade-off, there'd have to be a third location of similar scope and size that gets destroyed or becomes otherwise irrevocably changed by the decision to save both of the starting locations. An escalation in the hostilities at the Rail Nomad Camp or Damonta, for example, might have been a fair trade-off. If the player saved both Ag Center and Highpool, only to find out that the warring tribes at the Rail Nomad Camp had now gone to all-out war, leading to the destruction of the Atchinson tribe (making it impossible to resolve the RNC questline peacefully, and making certain recruitable NPCs and/or subquests inaccessible) - THAT might be an equitable cost.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 28th, 2014, 11:54 am

Sslaxx wrote:
Zombra wrote:The implication is that if you take out the Wrecker camp first, you can stop the attack on Highpool from happening in the first place.
Except it doesn't show up through exploration. It's one of those locations that only shows up by being given the location.
Good info, thanks.

TheGhoulGuy
Initiate

Post by TheGhoulGuy » March 9th, 2018, 11:36 am

As a response to certain messages, mainly pertaining to saving both AG and Highpool at "Great Cost" I do have a solution.

Pretty much everyone is familiar with the Witty and Rough 'Angela Deth'. In her moments at the first Radio Tower, she says several little snippets that could be used to create a loop-hole... at the expense of losing yet another Great Ranger.

Angela Deth "I wish this thing was still alive so I could make it suffer... fuck..."

Yes, I am suggesting that if you do not first go to the tower to investigate Ace's Death, regardless of whether she's in your party or not, that Angela Deth will go investigate the site of her beloved's Death on her own, find the robot still alive, and die in the process of finishing what Ace started. While this would allow you to save AG and Highpool, by clearing out the Wrecking Crew base before the messages are sent, and then by going to AG Center to help them, Snake would take the loss of his second friend and your disobeying a direct order personally and kick you out of the Rangers, making you lose out on several Quests, Storylines, and the Resources of the Ranger Citadel.

While the people of AG Center and Highpool would be grateful to you and supply you with whatever you need, you would not have access to the Ranger side of the game, and it would make you a Persona Non Grata in pretty much every territory, making you a mark if you attack any active Ranger Crews to his Black Ops team, and ensuring that your only way into the Ranger Citadel is by force, if you'll all remember the Hard Ass quote at the beginning of the game.

"What if we prove ourselves by breaking down the Citadel Doors... Sir?" This would require you to kill most if not all of the Ranger Staff to have your own base, and clearly this would not be beneficial as the Red Skorpions would assuredly spread and take over the AG Center and Highpool, effectively reducing everything you have started to nothing. If you take down the Red Skorpions first, the Rangers would expand and take AG Center and Highpool, making you Persona Non Grata in both locations.

This would definitely change the aspect of the game to quite a degree. Making it a little less Wastelander and instead more like Fallout with a lot more options as to who you would join or act as your own unit, but since this isn't what the makers wanted or intended, it isn't likely to be implimented.