Can I avoid the RSM killing all the civilians at the prison?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Re: Can I avoid the RSM killing all the civilians at the pri

Post by ZonkerBrainless » October 1st, 2014, 1:00 pm

Sucky. :(

Dark
Scholar

Post by Dark » October 1st, 2014, 1:54 pm

The RSM killing all the civilians upon the death of Danforth is nothing new.

Two Betas ago that tread comes from the Radio Tower, on the second visit. The civilians at Happy Valley are alive when you return, then after you assault Danforth and exit, the RSM go on a rampage in retaliation of your attack, and you kind of fight your way out.

Neofit
Novice

Post by Neofit » October 1st, 2014, 9:00 pm

Dark wrote:The RSM killing all the civilians upon the death of Danforth is nothing new.

Two Betas ago that tread comes from the Radio Tower, on the second visit. The civilians at Happy Valley are alive when you return, then after you assault Danforth and exit, the RSM go on a rampage in retaliation of your attack, and you kind of fight your way out.
But you agree that there were changes between the betas, and then even more in release. For instance, before release one could allegedly fix the robot with any junk drop from any robot, even from the ones you fight during your second visit to the radio tower, then in release they made it so it can only be done with the tread in Damonta (suggesting to the player that, since you're there anyway, why not place the transmitter, wink wink nudge nudge). This is what is being discussed here. Any way at all to have a different ending? With all the hoopla from inXile and their adoring beta testers, all about "making meaningful choices" and blah-blah, one may even start believing that not everything is scripted to produce the worst possible outcome.

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » October 2nd, 2014, 5:17 am

Neofit wrote:For instance, before release one could allegedly fix the robot with any junk drop from any robot, even from the ones you fight during your second visit to the radio tower, then in release they made it so it can only be done with the tread in Damonta (suggesting to the player that, since you're there anyway, why not place the transmitter, wink wink nudge nudge).
I actually think this particular bit is a good decision. Using the treads is the violent option and prevents you from finding out the truth about the RSM leader and negotiating a sort of peace. If you can use any old junk tread then people are likely to do that early before they even know they can get inside to deliver the dog cure.

Waywocket
Novice

Post by Waywocket » October 2nd, 2014, 12:28 pm

Using the treads is the violent option and prevents you from finding out the truth about the RSM leader and negotiating a sort of peace.
But what's the point of negotiating a peace with a violent psychopath, when he's already killed everyone that peace could have otherwise saved?

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » October 2nd, 2014, 1:01 pm

Waywocket wrote:
Using the treads is the violent option and prevents you from finding out the truth about the RSM leader and negotiating a sort of peace.
But what's the point of negotiating a peace with a violent psychopath, when he's already killed everyone that peace could have otherwise saved?
That's a decision for you to make. The important thing is to be presented with the decision, rather than never discovering that a decision exists because you found and used a tread hours before the option presented itself.

Jarin
Novice

Post by Jarin » October 2nd, 2014, 9:42 pm

It's just frustrating that he hides behind his god-guns until the plot says it's time to murder everyone. It's like... why did they even bother adding sidequests to help these people the first time through? Kinda pointless now... should have just talked to Red and left.

Geist1
Initiate

Re: Can I avoid the RSM killing all the civilians at the prison?

Post by Geist1 » April 9th, 2018, 5:21 pm

***SPOILER*** I realize this has been out for years now, and I backed the project, but wasn't able to play it due to lack of computer power. I finally picked up the director's cut on PS4 and finally get to play this. I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with this game now. I have to say the prison is one of the most BULL---T things in this game, besides the whole no word on the fate of Angela Deth thing. As she has become one of my crew roleplay wise. I would scour all of LA just to find her dead body. Even if it was a piece of her finger if she didn't survive the crash. So when I don't really get the option to care what happened to her in LA, I'm kind of pissed about that. :evil:

But the PRISON! This S--T freakin' pissed me the hell off. :evil: The devs just WANTED you to find out that mean ole Danforth was dumbass Bobby from Wasteland 1 who got F---ed up and got his rabid dog killed, and held a grudge against the Desert Rangers ever since. They wanted you to know SO F---ing bad that they put an impossible mission to get to him until all the civs that you helped were killed because you had to leave the map to get a tire for the broke down piece of crap, but apparently "ULTIMATE ROBOT TANK" to get passed the "ULTIMATE TURRETS" with tech that even Cochise didn't have. That once you put the tire on rushes between the "ULTIMATE TURRETS" that you couldn't pass before and blows up between them and suddenly the way is clear. But all these F---ing rockets I'm carrying can't do the same sh-t?

I then proceed to save the dogs, then blow Bobby's F---ING head off. :twisted: And I reloaded several times until my sniper got the headshot on Bobby just right. Let's see you come back without a head Bobby Danforth. Then I proceeded to kill all the dogs I just saved, because what the f--- is Animal Whisper even good for right? Why the f--- did I max out Animal Whisper? I feel kinda stupid for it now. So then I reported back to Jobe for the XP then blew his f---ing head off :twisted: and walked off into the sunset, because F--- the Prison map.

And the RAIL NOMADS. That's another F--- OFF map. :evil: I stole the f---ing golden spike, because there was a trophy if you do it, BUT little did I know that peace was impossible after that. I had already saved over the saved game I had before I stole it so going back was impossible. :evil: I wanted to save Jessie, because she was innocent in all this, but K-Bab wasn't talking to me, cuz his golden dildo was stolen. SOOO I f---ing blew his head off and everyone elses head off. AND THERE SHALL BE PEACE! And f---ing Ralphy's whiney f--- A$$ was complaining I was killing his friends, but not a damn word about his secret girl friend who was locked in a cage by his buddies. As a matter of fact his whiney A$$ didn't mention her the rest of the game.

I'm also noticing that all these whiney a$$ NPC's need help, but YOU gotta pay them to help them. Like WTF? I gotta PAY YOU so I can HELP YOU? F.U.

This game made me go from roleplaying Desert Rangers trying to help people, to a murdering posse that leaves death in it's wake. Especially with the lack of options. I think next play through I'm just gonna clear the face of the Earth, because F--- Ranger Team Delta. Why couldn't those bitches go save Ag Center while I was busy with Highpool? 4 Rookie Rangers save the known world, while the veteran Rangers just complain about your exploits. I'm about to pop Woodson's a$$ if he tells me one more time not to F--- something up in LA. I'm the one in the field, usually running blind anyway. I don't need your communication. Too bad I need you for field promotions or I woulda let the Nuke Pooches eat you.

And WTF is with the clipping issue on the outfits? MOST of the outfits clip through on the underams and arms, some outrageously so that they're just plain rediculous. And no one gave a f--- enough to patch the issue after all these years? Then why not just unlock all the outfits during ranger creation? You can put all your dude characters in dresses and stockings, but you don't have too much other customization. Where's the portrait selection? There's only a couple to choose from. Why not just unlock every portrait in game since everyone looks the same anyway?

I was SOOOO hoping to love this game, but I only just like it.

I'm glad I backed this game, but I'm so disappointed in many ways with it. I wasn't able to back Wasteland 3, due to medical reasons, and to the fact I didn't find the backer site until all was over. I would have backed that game too, because I love the setting and idea and the basic story. I hope Wasteland 3 can pull this out of the ashes and not just be another "Let's kill off old characters as we go and F--- the PCs over at every turn just to let them know that the world sucks all over, because F--- happy endings."

So that's my rant in 2018 after finally getting to play this after all these years. LOL!