Game Balance after first mission

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Game Balance after first mission

Post by ZonkerBrainless » September 9th, 2014, 7:16 am

So I played through Ag Center on Supreme Jerk difficulty without Angela Death because I didn't realize you could recruit her until too late. I actually just couldn't survive the final battle without turning the difficulty all the way down. Now I'm running it through again with her and everything is much easier so far.

One thing I wanted to note is the huge reduction in difficulty after the first mission. The moment you get access to the Ranger Citadel you can make huge amounts of money, and buy basically the best weapons in the game almost immediately. In the beta, weapon damage is MUCH more important than character level in determining your success in combat. I suppose adding headshots will fix this somewhat.

At any rate, in addition to headshots, I would suggest making it much harder to get high quality weapons early in the game. Just make them super expensive, or not available at all. The highest quality weapons should cost the same as the highest quality armor. Maybe find a desperate vendor later on in the game who will sell them at a significant discount. The cost of ammunition and medical supplies seems about right.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Game Balance after first mission

Post by SagaDC » September 9th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Well, "high quality" is a relative term. The best you can purchase in the early portions of Arizona are Tier 2 weapons (out of six total tiers). The natural course of things is for the player to start of with Tier 1 weapons, then to upgrade as quickly as possible to Tier 2 (usually once they've finished the "introductory" areas), and to eventually upgrade to Tier 3 weapons once they reach the Titan Valley region (where the enemies and merchants first stop dropping them regularly). At the very end of the Arizona area, the player gains access to a small number of higher tier weapons, but they won't get regular access to them until they reach California.

happy04
Scholar

Post by happy04 » September 9th, 2014, 6:26 pm

This was much worse when it was possible to go to canyon of titan before doing any quests and get tier 3 weapons. Now with the removal of the free +4 radiation suit skipping weapon tiers is much more of a sacrifice of resources because it takes a large amount of medical packs to get through the clouds alive.
"Hell hath no fury like an SVD's scorn."

luoshuigui
Scholar

Post by luoshuigui » September 9th, 2014, 9:02 pm

well some weapons are way too good for that stage, Scorpion's damage is just insane for early game, and once you got inside RC, you get access to the best AR in the entire first half of the game......

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 9th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Well, keep in mind that damage ratings and the like are still a work in progress, and balancing was far from finished as of the final beta release. There's no telling whether those numbers will remain as they are when the game is released. As someone who kept close track of the weapon changes from version to version during the various betas, I can certainly confirm that the numbers on weapons changed almost constantly each time a new patch came out.

luoshuigui
Scholar

Post by luoshuigui » September 9th, 2014, 9:16 pm

SagaDC wrote:Well, keep in mind that damage ratings and the like are still a work in progress, and balancing was far from finished as of the final beta release. There's no telling whether those numbers will remain as they are when the game is released. As someone who kept close track of the weapon changes from version to version during the various betas, I can certainly confirm that the numbers on weapons changed almost constantly each time a new patch came out.
I figured that out when i saw those 1 dollar superweapons :lol:
but still, dont know what theycan do in only a month, the beta feels like it needs much much balancing works to be done, i'll be impressed even if they can only manage to balance those shrines this close to release

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » September 10th, 2014, 3:05 am

Personally I don't like tiers of weapons unless they are somehow explained in world lore. In Fallout you always started in poor areas and worked your way to bigger/richer ones that could produce or get better weapons and best weapons and armor were with advanced factions like BoS or Enclave.

But Prison and Red Scorpions having better weapons than Ranger Citadel?! That does not compute.

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Post by ZonkerBrainless » September 10th, 2014, 6:53 am

9 days! Wewt!

Militant
Scholar

Post by Militant » September 11th, 2014, 8:28 pm

luoshuigui wrote:well some weapons are way too good for that stage, Scorpion's damage is just insane for early game, and once you got inside RC, you get access to the best AR in the entire first half of the game......
You don't HAVE to kill the RSM..

willingcat
Acolyte

Post by willingcat » September 15th, 2014, 12:55 am

I'm having same problem with OP.
Playing 2nd beta playthrough now. difficulty is on 'ranger'.
started without Angela Deth, A.G.Center was quite hard.
and right after the A.G.Center, I made tons of junk parts with my smithing skill,
and made tons of money(about $5,000), bought every tier 3-2 weapons from Sgt. Melson.
M16, Nightstick, Bar, M24, PP-81, FFS Benetto, karabiner(this is 2-2)
I can't understand why they give me tier 3-2 weapons in tier 1~ tier 2 region.
these weapons have Penetration 4~5 with Damage 20~40ish. and I can't even find any 'Armor 4' enemies yet.
every enemies in Rail Nomad Camp get knocked off with 1 shot.
with action point 10, I can kill 2 enemies in 1 turn. usually I don't even get hit.
I can't find no fun in this beta's combat.

besides weapons, they also have to edit junk parts quantity and money circulation.
Sgt. Melson gives you too much money for junk parts.

I know it's beta. and I want to believe this version is some experiment about outliers or limit values.
but I wish I could find any reliable answers about this unbalancing problem.

MrMoe
Explorer

Post by MrMoe » September 15th, 2014, 2:06 am

dont buy the best weapons then
and hope that the release version to be balanced...