Vendors do not refresh their inventory!?!

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Username12345
Initiate

Vendors do not refresh their inventory!?!

Post by Username12345 » September 2nd, 2014, 3:47 pm

I just played through the Wasteland 2 early access beta - and I found something that was rather disconcerting. In the entire span of my play through (roughly 40 hours) not a single vendor refreshed their inventory... some of the vendors didn't even have scrap (Wasteland 2 currency) or items for sale! I am hoping this is simply caused by the fact that this game is in beta and has not yet implemented vendor refreshing or some of the vendors' inventory - I am afraid this is some sort of bug caused by something I did while playing the beta - and I am terrified that this is a throwback to the original Wasteland, in which (I have heard) vendors did not refresh their inventory. If this is the case (the throwback scenario) - then i beg of you inXile... put vendor refreshing of scrap / items for sell in the game!

moss1873
Initiate

Re: Vendors do not refresh their inventory!?!

Post by moss1873 » September 2nd, 2014, 9:17 pm

Initially, vendors did refresh their inventories (at least their scrap reserves) in the Beta. However, it became very clear that the whole system was easy to game, especially if you were bringing certain items to the Ranger Quartermaster. So for the last couple patches, they stopped the inventory refreshing.

Hopefully it'll come back in the full release once they've got that little issue worked out.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 2nd, 2014, 9:23 pm

Yeah it's very annoying if you have more than 1 player using the same weapon type, because the best Sniper Rifle or whatever with Melson will not refresh if you buy it. I tried running a Sniper party yet after I purchased the M41 I think it was called from Melson it never returned to his inventory, so my other snipers had to keep using the old rifles.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Ephant
Initiate

Post by Ephant » September 3rd, 2014, 6:47 pm

Frequent respawn means too much money, no respawn means not enough ammo and best weapons, I think the best solution is to make it more or less random and on a long timer

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 3rd, 2014, 10:15 pm

Huh. Interesting. Non-refreshment could introduce an interesting element of scarcity into the game, which is normally something I like. I haven't played the beta recently though so I don't know how well it would actually work.

And the concept of merchants who never replenish their stock is a little weird. Ammo manufacturing is still happening somewhere out there.

I do like caring about using up supplies though.

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » September 4th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Zombra wrote:Huh. Interesting. Non-refreshment could introduce an interesting element of scarcity into the game, which is normally something I like. I haven't played the beta recently though so I don't know how well it would actually work.

And the concept of merchants who never replenish their stock is a little weird. Ammo manufacturing is still happening somewhere out there.

I do like caring about using up supplies though.
The original game didn't refresh supplies. Once you bought all the 7.62mm clips from the Quartz/Needles store, that was it. You had to go to Darwin if you wanted more. I bought all of the rockets from the Darwin black market, too.

Of course, it would be nice to have a certain percentage chance every so many game days to randomly lose a few objects and/or randomly gain a few objects as well. That way, it feels like other people are trading at the store as well.

It would be fun role-playing, too, "Come on. You mean your guy hasn't pressed ANY 30-06 rounds since last week? Are you KIDDING me? Why does he keep making .38 rounds?"

"Sorry. It's what my customers want. Most of them prefer easily-concealed pistols for self-protection."

"Let me talk to your guy. Maybe we can convince him to make the ammo we need."

"Oh no! I'm not letting you anywhere NEAR my guy. I don't want you strong-arming him or threatening to hurt him in any way. I'll let him know of your complaint, and we'll see what we have for you next week. Unless...if you're willing to take care of a pesky Shadowclaw that's taken residence near where we get our saltpeter. Do that, and I'll make sure there's a whole pile of 30-06 ammo for you when you come back."

Yeah. My imagination's running wild now. I'll stop....

Tysonbt
Initiate

Post by Tysonbt » September 9th, 2014, 11:30 am

I noticed this too in the most recent beta and I actually like it. Most vendors have enough stock that I don't think in general it will be much of an issue, but it does mean you have to be at least somewhat careful not to waste all the available ammo by equipping everyone with assault rifles & bursting away all the available rifle ammo.

It also fixed sort of a cheesy loop in ranger citadel where you could buy weapons, use weaponsmithing to scrap them, and then sell them back for more than what you originally paid due to the higher junk parts value for that vendor. Though even without cheesing it you could still make insane amounts of money by turning all the random weapons you found into junk parts. Now it's much better as you can sell junk parts to get some quick cash early on, but it's not this unending stream of money like before.