Random encounters

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

luoshuigui
Scholar

Random encounters

Post by luoshuigui » August 25th, 2014, 10:14 pm

In the Beta there're only 2 kinds of encounters, either fight or some merchant, in the final release will there be more variety of encounters like in Fallout series? It doesnt have to be as absurd as alien landing or evil unlucky dog, but id love to see more of people of the waste other than raiders and merchants

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Random encounters

Post by SagaDC » August 26th, 2014, 1:21 am

There are one or two "special" encounters, such as an arrogant merchant who will trigger a fight with the players, but those are few and far between. The original DevChat seemed to imply there would be other special encounters as well, including (possibly) Luck-based ones, but thus far we haven't seen much of this in the Arizona area. It's possible that this concept was either discarded, downplayed, or won't really be seen until the California area. No official word from the Devs on it, though, at least not recently.

Personally, I'd love to see this sort of thing more often (and I'd agree that it probably shouldn't be as silly as some of the "Easter Egg" encounters were in Fallout 2 or Fallout Tactics).

nambulous
Novice

Post by nambulous » August 26th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Seriously have to say: I perceived most of these special encounters in Fallout first and foremost as fun, not as silly. I'm not saying Wasteland 2 should do the exact same thing, but I'd like to see more encounters than the ones in the beta. It certainly would fit the descriptions the devs often gave, that Wasteland 2 would be different for ever player and it would be hard to discover everything.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 26th, 2014, 8:21 pm

nambulous wrote:Seriously have to say: I perceived most of these special encounters in Fallout first and foremost as fun, not as silly.
Really? As I recall, Fallout had 3 luck-based overworld encounters:

Crashed Nuka Truck: lots of bottlecaps; not silly
Crashed Alien Spaceship: source of horribly overpowered Alien Blaster; rather silly
Footprint: footprint from some giant monster with corpse inside, giving you a Stealth Boy; exceeding silly

On average, I'd say Fallout's were pretty silly. And that's not even getting into Fallout 2 which started at ridiculously silly and went from there.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

luoshuigui
Scholar

Post by luoshuigui » August 26th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Drool wrote:
nambulous wrote:Seriously have to say: I perceived most of these special encounters in Fallout first and foremost as fun, not as silly.
Really? As I recall, Fallout had 3 luck-based overworld encounters:

Crashed Nuka Truck: lots of bottlecaps; not silly
Crashed Alien Spaceship: source of horribly overpowered Alien Blaster; rather silly
Footprint: footprint from some giant monster with corpse inside, giving you a Stealth Boy; exceeding silly

On average, I'd say Fallout's were pretty silly. And that's not even getting into Fallout 2 which started at ridiculously silly and went from there.
Actually i loved the HALLELUJAH grenade, quite funny.
But to be honest in current state of Wasteland 2, every grenade is hallelujah grenade, hope they fix the explosives balancing before launch :cry:

AhmNee
Initiate

Post by AhmNee » August 27th, 2014, 2:16 am

There were a lot more encounters and if you had high luck, you had a better chance of running across them. I always played a high luck sniper character partly for that reason.

I don't mind the raider encounters. But there seems to be barely any animal encounters and there's even less variety of those than there are of the raiders. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more variety in random encounters overall when the game releases.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 27th, 2014, 5:06 am

luoshuigui wrote:Actually i loved the HALLELUJAH grenade, quite funny.
But to be honest in current state of Wasteland 2, every grenade is hallelujah grenade, hope they fix the explosives balancing before launch :cry:
Funny, sure, but also definitely over-the-top silly since it was a direct reference to a comedy film (right down to the killer rabbit and the Knights of the Round Table). Fallout 2 really pushed the envelope with movie and pop culture references, especially in the "special" random encounters. Fallout: Tactics just got absurd with it (Brahmin playing poker, the "B-1000" Terminator Cow, The "Matrix"-style robots forcing people to run on treadmills to charge batteries, etc.).
AhmNee wrote:I don't mind the raider encounters. But there seems to be barely any animal encounters and there's even less variety of those than there are of the raiders. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more variety in random encounters overall when the game releases.
Well, "more variety" is always a loaded term, since no matter how varied something gets someone can always complain that it's not varied enough. Still, I will agree that there's definitely some room for easy expansion if we're just talking about upping the variety of enemies encountered in random encounters. At the moment, there are several animal or insect enemies that can't be encountered randomly, such as Giant Frogs, Waste Wolves, Honey Badgers, Giant Roaches, and even the lowly Giant Rat (which otherwise only shows up in ONE location throughout the game, for some reason).

AhmNee
Initiate

Post by AhmNee » August 27th, 2014, 7:20 am

That was actually more the 'variety' I meant. I'd like to see some rare robot encounters. The other animals that you currently don't get to see randomly in the wastes and more animal encounters in general. I hardly see an animal encounter unless I'm in the far southwest of the area around ranger center.

luoshuigui
Scholar

Post by luoshuigui » August 28th, 2014, 4:03 pm

SagaDC wrote:
luoshuigui wrote:Actually i loved the HALLELUJAH grenade, quite funny.
Funny, sure, but also definitely over-the-top silly since it was a direct reference to a comedy film (right down to the killer rabbit and the Knights of the Round Table). Fallout 2 really pushed the envelope with movie and pop culture references, especially in the "special" random encounters. Fallout: Tactics just got absurd with it (Brahmin playing poker, the "B-1000" Terminator Cow, The "Matrix"-style robots forcing people to run on treadmills to charge batteries, etc.).
AhmNee wrote:I don't mind the raider encounters. But there seems to be barely any animal encounters and there's even less variety of those than there are of the raiders. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more variety in random encounters overall when the game releases.
Well, "more variety" is always a loaded term, since no matter how varied something gets someone can always complain that it's not varied enough. Still, I will agree that there's definitely some room for easy expansion if we're just talking about upping the variety of enemies encountered in random encounters. At the moment, there are several animal or insect enemies that can't be encountered randomly, such as Giant Frogs, Waste Wolves, Honey Badgers, Giant Roaches, and even the lowly Giant Rat (which otherwise only shows up in ONE location throughout the game, for some reason).
Sillier than a Disco robot who can drive people insane by the power of music?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 28th, 2014, 9:05 pm

luoshuigui wrote:Sillier than a Disco robot who can drive people insane by the power of music?
Except that that's not what the Discobot actually does. It "paints" targets with laser pointers and strobe lights, making it easier for other enemies to pick them out and shoot them. It actually specifies that in the little "Discobot Scan" status condition tooltip.

But don't get me wrong, Wasteland 1 had it's share of silliness (such as farmers loading giant vegetables into their catapults for use as ammo, or Harold the Bunnymaster). For better or worse, though, they seem to have opted for a significantly more serious tone for the sequel. There are a lot of goofy little pop culture references, such as movie or television references, but they're generally kept down to nothing more than a blurb in an item description or a single "floating" throwaway line.

Fallout 2 and Tactics, on the other hand, had straight-up goofiness in many of their random encounters. They were blatant references to movies or online gags, and generally skirted perilously close to breaking the fourth wall - if they didn't blast through them entirely (such as the Cafe of Broken Dreams, where you could actually meet with the "characters" from the first game, and even recruit one who canonically died previously). From an in-game standpoint, how do we explain the Horsemen of the Apocalypse just hanging out in the middle of the desert? Or a bunch of intelligent, talking Brahmin playing poker in the middle of the desert? Or a crashed spaceship straight out of Star Trek? Or a glowing portal (also from Star Trek) that allows you to travel through time, and muck with the events of the first game?

There's a big difference between having a "silly" event (ie, randomly encountering some crazy hermit who you can trick into leading you to a treasure or something) and a "ridiculous, fourth-wall breaking" event (ie, randomly encountering some crazy hermit who, when goaded, turns into the incredible hulk and leaps off into the sky). It's the main reason that Fallout: New Vegas introduced the "Wild Wasteland" trait, so people who wanted to play the game with a minimum of blatant pop culture references could do so.