Headshots have been added

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Headshots have been added

Post by Drool » August 22nd, 2014, 9:39 pm

Lexx wrote:Increased AP would be shit, imo. Reducing the hit-chance should be totally enough.
Well, in theory, you're taking extra time to line up the shot with a small target, as opposed to quickly aiming for center mass. Increased AP (even just +1) would make sense.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 22nd, 2014, 9:41 pm

I think it would need to be more than 1 AP unless you wanted everyone to be always using Headshot towards the end of the game.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 23rd, 2014, 3:13 am

I hope it gets extended to melee too, so when in melee combat with a knife or whatever you can "aim for weak spot".

Lexx
Scholar

Post by Lexx » August 23rd, 2014, 10:36 am

Drool wrote:
Lexx wrote:Increased AP would be shit, imo. Reducing the hit-chance should be totally enough.
Well, in theory, you're taking extra time to line up the shot with a small target, as opposed to quickly aiming for center mass. Increased AP (even just +1) would make sense.
In theory, you could spend the same amount of time on the aiming, and therefore get a much lower hit chance.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » September 4th, 2014, 9:37 am

So we finally seen the exact effect of Headshot: +60% critical chance, -30% hit chance, +2 AP.

What do you think?

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » September 4th, 2014, 9:44 am

Assuming the critical chance % is a percentage of the overall chance to hit, I think Coordination suddenly got more powerful (bonus ranged chance to hit and action points both being derived from it). The 2 additional APs will hopefully constitute a meaningful tradeoff, rather than a justification for überpower.
Remains to be seen if it's broken or not, I guess.
marmelade & jam

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 4th, 2014, 9:44 am

-Archangel- wrote:So we finally seen the exact effect of Headshot: +60% critical chance, -30% hit chance, +2 AP.

What do you think?
Feel free to speculate away, but just be aware that may not be the final effect. Would like to see what you guys think though!

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » September 4th, 2014, 10:42 am

Well it will be a tactical option in case there are fair number of easy to hit but high armor enemies or if there will be easy to hit but lots of life and dps enemies. If there will be just lots of easy to hit ones than headshot might become a default attack for many weapons.
Personally I would rather like to see headshot apply a logical debuff in addition to normal damage. It is boring if all combat mechanics deal with life only.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 4th, 2014, 11:07 am

The to hit penalty is substantial and 2 AP is nothing to sneeze at. Nice hefty bonus to crit chance.

At a glance, looks like a solid, meaningful tradeoff to me. I'm not a number cruncher on this kind of stuff though. If this is the baseline, I think it will be a fun decision to make, and further tweaks will hopefully only make it better.

luoshuigui
Scholar

Post by luoshuigui » September 4th, 2014, 1:40 pm

-Archangel- wrote:So we finally seen the exact effect of Headshot: +60% critical chance, -30% hit chance, +2 AP.

What do you think?
Any weapon can Headshot or only rifles and handguns?

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » September 4th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I don't know. I got the stats from the promotional combat video they released few hours ago.

fuchfe97
Novice

Post by fuchfe97 » September 5th, 2014, 5:09 am

If you watch the video closely, you can see that the headshot button is available (and active) for all shown weapons:
Sniper rifle
Machine gun
Shotgun
Pistol
Energy weapon
Grenade/Pipe Bomb
SMG
Blunt weapon
Fists

We didn't see knives or assault rifles, but I suppose that It will be available for them too.

As for the exact cost and advantages, it's anyone's guess, but it might be the same for all of them.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 5th, 2014, 8:50 am

Ahh, the good old hand grenade head shot. I hope that gets removed at least. Shotgun, machine gun, and SMG are close behind on my list.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 5th, 2014, 9:25 am

Zombra wrote:Ahh, the good old hand grenade head shot.
The critical hits the enemy in the face with the grenade, crushing his skull and killing him, while the grenades bounces off to the side and takes out his friends :)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 5th, 2014, 10:30 am

I guess if you can toss a grenade straight into a guy's mouth, that might end up being an especiallly uncomfortable experience for him.

fuchfe97
Novice

Post by fuchfe97 » September 5th, 2014, 11:55 am

Nah, I think it's meant differently:
You time the throw of the grenade in such a way that it explodes exactly at eye level - hilarity ensues ;)

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » September 5th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Zombra wrote:Ahh, the good old hand grenade head shot. I hope that gets removed at least. Shotgun, machine gun, and SMG are close behind on my list.
The headshot option provides a bonus to critical chance and nothing else, right? I haven't ever seen a grenade crit (though, admittedly, I haven't used them very often); if not, there's really no benefit nor harm to headshots with a grenade (though I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the option, if you want to show off).

I don't know about removing the headshot option for shotguns, machine guns, and SMGs. Obviously, it's possible to hit the head with all of those weapons; people have done it in real life. Something tells me, though, that you won't be able to perform headshots with auto-fire, which would preclude machine guns and SMGs. I don't see the harm in allowing headshots with shotguns, though it may make things complicated when used in conjunction with the "cone of fire" feature.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 5th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Really it's fine no matter how they do it. For some weapons it's a little silly to call it "Headshot" is all. "Critical Shot" would perform the same function without the attendant visual weirdness. But whatever they call it, I've been a gamer long enough to recognize a game system no matter its label. :)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 5th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Zombra wrote:I guess if you can toss a grenade straight into a guy's mouth, that might end up being an especiallly uncomfortable experience for him.
That'd be a cool melee move. I have no idea how you would balance it, but it would be gold to see. :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » September 5th, 2014, 11:05 pm

Zombra wrote:Ahh, the good old hand grenade head shot. I hope that gets removed at least. Shotgun, machine gun, and SMG are close behind on my list.
shotgun head shot? yes please.