Character advancement

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Doctor Atomic
Initiate

Character advancement

Post by Doctor Atomic » August 19th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Does a character ever get more points for attributes when they level up?
Technical and Tactical

dorkboy
Master

Re: Character advancement

Post by dorkboy » August 19th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Every 10th level, from what I've read. [?] Though I do also recall a dev statement suggesting this is still a bit up in the air WRT the final version.
marmelade & jam

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 19th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Yeah, as of last beta it's 1 every 10 levels, though honestly I hope it changes, way too easy to stack attributes and become overpowered in the new update.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

GiantDoosh
Novice

Post by GiantDoosh » August 20th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Crosmando wrote:Yeah, as of last beta it's 1 every 10 levels, though honestly I hope it changes, way too easy to stack attributes and become overpowered in the new update.
I think the combination of 1 every 10 levels and the shrines is way too much. By itself, the 1 every 10 levels would yield approximately 3 points before heading to CA. That doesn't seem excessive to me. Combined with the shrines, that's 8 points (that I'm aware of) which is a pretty large fraction of the attribute points a player starts with at creation.

A random thought - it seems like many of the NPC's are pretty terrible in terms of their skills and attributes. What if shrines only impacted them? Could allow the player to "tailor" the NPC's a bit towards their individual style. Perhaps a few add an attribute point while others allow some skill points to be re-distributed? Perhaps another can "bring" a late-added NPC up in level to be more on-par with the party? In general, I'm not in favor of "magic" types of mechanics, but I also don't like the fact that some of the NPC's that best align with my party are obtained later in the current beta. Granted, if leveling is slowed down in the release version this could be less of an issue....

Seems like I mixed a bunch of topics together here....

Bound4Earth
Novice

Post by Bound4Earth » August 20th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Crosmando wrote:Yeah, as of last beta it's 1 every 10 levels, though honestly I hope it changes, way too easy to stack attributes and become overpowered in the new update.
If you ever get to Darwin do not release the Night Terror. You do not have to use any new attribute points and can even edit them out. The game can be as challenging as you want it to be. Although I am puzzled why ammo rains down from the heavens in Supreme Jerk. Hopefully balance is much better in the final dev version.

Lexx
Scholar

Post by Lexx » August 21st, 2014, 12:16 am

Bound4Earth wrote:If you ever get to Darwin do not release the Night Terror. You do not have to use any new attribute points and can even edit them out. The game can be as challenging as you want it to be. Although I am puzzled why ammo rains down from the heavens in Supreme Jerk. Hopefully balance is much better in the final dev version.
I don't see how the Night Terror has anything to do with this?

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 21st, 2014, 12:28 am

Bound4Earth wrote: You do not have to use any new attribute points and can even edit them out. The game can be as challenging as you want it to be.
Lolwut, "You get free attribute points but you don't need to spend them, or you can edit the xml or use a hex editor to get rid of them?", that's your argument, are you serious? Any game can be made difficult if you intentionally try to gimp yourself, especially if you edit your stats to make you less powerful, but a game can only be truly challenging if it's challenging even when utilizing all the bonuses the game gives you.
Matthias did nothing wrong!