new character skills?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Doctor Atomic
Initiate

new character skills?

Post by Doctor Atomic » August 17th, 2014, 10:51 pm

What are the various opinions on starting skill levels? 1, 2, or 3?
Technical and Tactical

marceror
Adventurer

Re: new character skills?

Post by marceror » August 17th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Doctor Atomic wrote:What are the various opinions on starting skill levels? 1, 2, or 3?
Umm, totally depends. This is a big picture sort of question, not something that can be meaningfully answered in the way that you asked. But, okay, the higher value is better obviously. It's really more a question of whether you can spare 6 skill points at start to get that. You need to make sure all of your bases are covered, and that often means having to have certain skills start at lower levels initially.

Hety
Initiate

Post by Hety » August 18th, 2014, 1:36 am

If you create 4 main chars and go to AG center and not HP, then i can suggest something like that:
All 4 - assault rifles 3. Yes, all other weapons suck(later on you will get smg and energy weapons maybe, but at the beginning stick to this scheme) including melee ( at Supreme Jerk its not an option EVER).
Then:
1. Hard ass, Smart Ass, Perception. (Angie will come with Kiss Ass)
2. Alarm disarming, Lockpicking, Safecracking (Your burglar)
3. Demolitions, Mech repair, Toaster repair(Toasters optional)
4. Science, Surgeon and any other you may wish.

Rose and Angie will cover everything else. Later on you will have enough skill points to add few more skills to the mix.

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 18th, 2014, 1:47 am

Clearly above poster hasn't used sniper rifles <_< They are awesome. High damage, long ass range.

Pretty much all weapons are effective, though energy weapons less so in early game since they do damage based on armor rating being high, brawling weapons besides few exceptions(brawling weapons have REALLY high critical hit chance, so few specific brawling weapons allow you to do ridiculous amount of damage per turn) aren't very good and blades tend to do little damage.

And yeah, assault rifles on everyone? Please don't do that, that'd be boring. And uses a lot of ammo. Submachine guns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, pistols, all of those are good and easy to use. Shotguns do get better, but they are good mostly at hitting multiple enemies without armor so until you get ones with armor penetration... Well, let's just say badgers take zero damage from them. Brawling weapons are pretty weak, so is bladed weapons, blunt weapons are pretty good though. Energy weapons get better once armored enemies start appearing.

Also, on his comment on you finding submachine guns later? From what I've noticed, random loot tends to rewards you weapons someone in your party can use, so you can get better submachine gun really early.

Oh, and heavy weapons? Well, you can throw grenades without it, but I guess it does heighten the range. Anyway, heavy weapons aren't bad, but there are better less heavy less ammo eating options

The other skills? Well, depends on attribute build, but you should have variety of non combat skills to solve different situations. Perception is always good, demoliton for traps, computer, alarm disarm, lock pick, brute force and safecracking for opening different doors and lootcrates, ass skills are good for better rewards and alternate quest solutions.

Animal whisperer has very few uses, but there is trinked that gives you +2 animal whisperer so you can solve the only use for it rather fast. Outdoorman is mostly for avoiding random encounters except in one location, but it isn't very important thing. Surgeon and field medic... Well, depends on who you are going to recruit, but yeah, they are pretty useful.
The gas mask enthusiast

Hety
Initiate

Post by Hety » August 18th, 2014, 2:25 am

Random loot IS completely random. I'm a save scumming pro and must assure you that i had every type of ammo/weapons drop w/o any regards to party composition or skills.

Sniper rifles are good... when you need to aggro someone. Damage is mediocre, no bursts, early one's require a lot of AP, useless in close range. For AS rifle you make a step back and you can dish out 50-70 hp burst on medium armored target for 6 ap or hit it for like...18-20 for 6 with M40. Maybe it gets better, but i doubt that.

You can use SMG's - PPSH is a beast when it comes to ripping apart those, who came too close, but at supreme jerk your main problem is the fact, that any grenadier can kill 1-3 of your squad mates from a range and you cant shoot back (and also shotguns, Handguns and all energy weapons i've seen so far lack the range to do so). Effectively AS rifles are a boring, but infinitely more reliable weapon. What i did to conserve ammo - gave my leader SN rifles skill, SMG to burglar, Handguns to scientist and energy weapon to Rose and used them on occasion. Money is not a problem so i just bought ammo.

Shotguns just suck, damage is so crappy its not even worth mentioning.

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 18th, 2014, 2:32 am

EDIT: Wait, so you DIDN'T give everyone AS skill? Or you mean that everyone but your leader had secondary weapon skill?

Still, having same weapon on everyone is just plain boring, especially since only weapons which are outright bad to use are shotguns and blades. I mean, blades aren't that bad, but the fact they do less damage in exchange for slightly better crit rate doesn't make them weakest melee weapon type. Heck, brawling weapons have even less damage, but since they have high crit rate, you can do over 100 damage per turn with correct build and weapon. Shotguns on other hand become less bad when you get better ones, but they are really situational and much more useful to attacking group of enemies rather than one enemy.. I suppose they make for good sideweapon in rare situations they are useful.

Handguns become better with scopes. And that one late Arizona handgun(that uses different ammunition, forgot what was name of it) is a beast considering how much damage it does for 3 ap...

They should probably nerf burst sooner than later...

And with Sniper Rifles, you can still attack twice with enough ap, and it doesn't matter since you are so far away from enemies that they die in one hit before they were get close enough.
The gas mask enthusiast

Killyox
Novice

Post by Killyox » August 18th, 2014, 3:47 am

Hmm

This is how my chars are skill wise (all self made chars have 6 int and using requisition reward item +1 SP on lvl up, using on char which levels up and benefits the most if multiple chars). Bold = names.

Tank
Heavy Guns
Blunt Weapons
Brute (breaking stuff skill)
Demolitions

Whiz
Assault Rifles
Surgeon
Field Medic
Weaponsmith

Tesla
Handguns
Lockpicking
Safecracking
Computer Science

Akarn
SMGs
Leadership
Perception
Hard Ass
Smart Ass
(he's the #1 target for item +1SP on lvl up due to 5 skills)

Vulture's Cry (highpool playthrough)
Sniper Rifles
Outdoorsman
Animal Whisperer

Scotchmo
Shotguns
Blade Weapons

Angela Deth
Assault Rifles
Outdoorsman
Blunt Weapons

PS

I buy Skorpion from NPC at ranger citadel when starting the game. Sell some useless stuff to get money for it and you will breeze early parts of the game thanks to having SMG with 22-27 range firing 3 shots for only 4(!) AP with cheap .38 ammo. Far better than starting with 6-9 dmg SMG :)

Everyone has 1-2 grenades with Tank having more + some LAWs etc.

One time Animal Whisperer helped me a lot. Low Level team, Ranger difficulty, Leve L'upe mines and badgers, almost NO AMMO LEFT. I got rid of half od the badgers with animal whisperer (1-2 hits from them knocked my chars uncouncious at lvl 6 XD). The other half were Bazooka and LAW i found before (retreated back to narrow passage, waited some turns for them to come and stack up rather close and BOOM!)

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 18th, 2014, 4:26 am

Hmm, yeah, animal whisperer is good for getting rid of honey badgers. Pity that in current version you don't get exp at all for that for some reason.

Its also good for getting good equipment in one unmarked quest <_<
The gas mask enthusiast

WakingComa
Acolyte

Post by WakingComa » August 18th, 2014, 2:00 pm

GasMaskFan wrote: Its also good for getting good equipment in one unmarked quest <_<
I like turtles!

Doctor Atomic
Initiate

Post by Doctor Atomic » August 18th, 2014, 6:29 pm

What about actual skill levels, as I asked in the beginning? Are people starting out with 6 at +1, 3 at +2, or 2 at +3? Are skills at +1 at all effective in the field?

thanks
Last edited by Doctor Atomic on August 18th, 2014, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technical and Tactical

happy04
Scholar

Post by happy04 » August 18th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Everyone should take at least one level in first aid and heavy weapons. currently with the rarity of medical packs and grenades the opportunity to get 8 for free at the start of the game can't be passed up.

assault rifles is a strong choice early on, but I prefer for weapon skills

Character 1: Assault 2, Energy 1

Character 2: Assault 2, Energy 1

Character 3: Sniper 2, SMG 1

Character 4: Sniper 2, Shotgun 1

A weapon for squishies and heavies for the first 2 and a closeup and far away weapon for the other two.

skills at +1 work basically only until midway through ag center or highpool.
"Hell hath no fury like an SVD's scorn."

Doctor Atomic
Initiate

Post by Doctor Atomic » August 18th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Thanks.

Energy weapons are available early enough in the game to make learning the skill right at the beginning worth while?
Technical and Tactical

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 18th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Doctor Atomic wrote:Thanks.

Energy weapons are available early enough in the game to make learning the skill right at the beginning worth while?
Yeah, their essentially the same as other weapons. Also if you put points into Energy Weapons then your character starts with a energy gun.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 18th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Doctor Atomic wrote:What about actual skill levels, as I asked in the beginning? Are people starting out with 6 at +1, 3 at +2, or 2 at +3? Are skills at +1 at all effective in the field?
Generally, I put the character's main weapon skill at 2 and their non-combat skills at 1.

Also, I can't imagine running a party with 4 Rangers all using assault rifles.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 18th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Doctor Atomic wrote:Thanks.

Well, yes, but... Most early enemies don't have armor, so energy weapons are pretty useless until the mid point when enemies suddenly have lots of armor
The gas mask enthusiast

luoshuigui
Scholar

Post by luoshuigui » August 20th, 2014, 10:24 am

Snipers? Lol they cant even outdamage the ARs, the M4, an early accessible (Tier 2)assault rifle can burst a steady 60+ damage, for snipers you'll have to wait until you get a Bullpup(Tier 3) to do 60+ damage, and that has to be a critical shot! Normal Bullpup shot only does 30 damage which is pathetic.
Energy weapons on the other hand, are really good, almost too good. If you choose the AG center you should put some points in the skill early, otherwise you'll have to wait till the canyon for some decent energy weapons.