Armor List (Spoilers)

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Armor List (Spoilers)

Post by Woolfe » July 6th, 2014, 10:12 pm

SagaDC wrote:
Priest4hire wrote:14 pounds? Surely that has to be a placeholder. Armour that's described as so heavy it requires motors to move can't be light enough to carry in one hand. And that necessarily includes the weight of the exoskeleton itself.
It's certainly possible that it's a placeholder value, but then again it might not be. After all, they already use several abstracted weights throughout the current version of the beta. I mean, under the current numbers a set of Steel Plate Armor weighs 13 pounds, and Mobile Infantry Armor weighs 8. I don't know if I'd really expect realistic weight values for any item, let alone armor, especially since some of the other oddball inventory decisions (such as lumping canteens and radiation suits as "communal" party items). I mean honestly, under the current weight system a night stick is heavier than a machine gun or a rocket launcher, and a "long barrel" weapon mod is actually heavier than most of the currently implemented guns.

It could very well just be a weight value that's more based on guesswork, than anything else.
Its all abstract to me... What the hell is a pound. Would you guys stop being obstinate and go metric already :roll: :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 6th, 2014, 10:37 pm

It's really simple. 1 pound is...

0.071 stone
0.01786 firkin
12.45 blintz
0.01 sh cwt
0.015 talent
7000 grain
256 dram
2 marks

Or 0.454 kilograms, if you want to use weird measurements.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » July 6th, 2014, 11:58 pm

dram firkin talents!

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » July 7th, 2014, 12:05 am

Drool wrote:It's really simple. 1 pound is...

0.071 stone
0.01786 firkin
12.45 blintz
0.01 sh cwt
0.015 talent
7000 grain
256 dram
2 marks

In Germany a pound is 0.5 kilograms, if anyone wants to know. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » July 7th, 2014, 12:12 am

Grohal wrote:
Drool wrote:It's really simple. 1 pound is...

0.071 stone
0.01786 firkin
12.45 blintz
0.01 sh cwt
0.015 talent
7000 grain
256 dram
2 marks

In Germany a pound is 0.5 kilograms, if anyone wants to know. :mrgreen:
You crazy Germans and your pfunds :D

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 7th, 2014, 1:02 am

I wonder if those hard Strength requirements are necessary... you could let any character equip any type of armor, but if below the Strength requirement they incur large penalties to combat speed/AP.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Chaoslord
Initiate

Post by Chaoslord » July 15th, 2014, 9:56 am

I really hope they change (if they haven't allready) the Armor protection values as the best armor got a protection of 10 and when we look at the weapons like the SVD it got at damage of 60-70 so the armor matters little against guns like that. I would say that the last tier of armor must have around 20+ to be useful as if they don't every weapon in the game will ignore your armor like it would be made of paper
Chaos is merely a tool, a tool which I wield very well

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 15th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Chaoslord wrote:I really hope they change (if they haven't allready) the Armor protection values as the best armor got a protection of 10 and when we look at the weapons like the SVD it got at damage of 60-70 so the armor matters little against guns like that. I would say that the last tier of armor must have around 20+ to be useful as if they don't every weapon in the game will ignore your armor like it would be made of paper
Well, keep in mind that the actual damage mitigation of your armor rating isn't determined on a 1:1 ratio. I think it's more akin to the original game in that regard, with each point of Armor Value (after Penetration) reducing the actual damage by something like 1-6 points (ie, 1d6). So if someone were to fire a Pen 2 weapon into an opponent wearing AV 5 armored vest, the actual damage would be reduced by something like 3-18 (3d6) damage. Based on the trends seen in the current available material, most conventional firearms will top out at about Pen 5-6 (unless they reintroduce Armor-Piercing ammunition in the new builds).

Of course, then again, certain weapons with exceptional Penetration values (sniper rifles, energy weapons, heavy weapons) will STILL ignore most high end armors. But to a certain extent that's logical. After all, there's only so much that even the best suit of armor is going to do when you're being shot with .50 Caliber BMG rounds or anti-tank rockets.

EDIT - Oh, it's also important to keep in mind that the SVD (Pen 5, 60-70 damage)) is a Tier 5 weapon, which normally wouldn't be available in an area as early as the Beta (which caps out at Tier 3 with everything else). A more appropriately tiered sniper rifle to compare against the Tier 3 armors is the Bullpup (Pen 5, 28-34 damage), which is Tier 3-1. Since the Tiers only go up to 6, that means that high end Sniper Rifles will probably only reach 6-7 or so, which means that Tier 6 armor (AV 10) will still provide a hefty dose of protection against them.

dessoul
Initiate

Post by dessoul » July 23rd, 2014, 6:40 am

SagaDC wrote:Still poking around with the XML Editor, while we wait for the next big patch to come along. This time, I tallied up the full list of armor. Much like weapons, there are six tiers of armor, with two types of armor on each tier - one "Heavy" type that provides more protection at the cost of mobility, and one "Light" type with less protection but more mobility.

Costs start off relatively low at $250, but spike to $5000 by the highest tiers. Aside from the Armor Bonus, certain armors also have a Combat Speed Penalty (reduces movement) and a Strength Requirement:
I don´t want to be a smart-ass, but prices depending on your bartering skill. At highest level of bartering i paid $200 for the type 1 armor.
I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 23rd, 2014, 3:00 pm

dessoul wrote:I don´t want to be a smart-ass, but prices depending on your bartering skill. At highest level of bartering i paid $200 for the type 1 armor.
All of the costs I collected were based off of the default values for the items (listed on the item cards themselves, not on the prices displayed in vendor inventories), although I didn't list them here. Bartering simply adds a percentage-based modifier when buying or selling an item, but it doesn't actually change the default value of the items. For the sake of simplicity, most of my item listings are based on the assumption that the default values are being used, since otherwise you have to start worrying about things like bonuses from attributes or skills which can be highly variable from player to player. :)