The Companions So Far, v3.0 (Spoilers!)

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Onholyservicebound
Scholar

Re: The Companions So Far, v3.0 (Spoilers!)

Post by Onholyservicebound » June 2nd, 2014, 12:00 pm

Say you lose 3 rangers, and replace them with those guys, then you just have them and your regular companions, what happens if the last player made ranger dies?

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 2nd, 2014, 12:48 pm

ClashFan wrote:
UPDATE:

Okay, just got Vipula for the first time. Sadly, by this time (my characters are all level 15-18, including Takayuki) she's just not worth keeping. By this time in the game, you already have someone who is your "tech" person. Her only value right now is the energy weapon she has. And, as stated earlier, her initiative and action points make her look a bit weak in combat, esp. when I've already got a leader/tech character.

So, I'm going to recruit her, take her stuff, then dismiss her to the Ranger Center so that I can get Chisel back. Sad, because her bio suggests a possibly very interesting character to have.

Perhaps drop one point each from INT, Luck, and Strength and put them into Awareness/Coordination to boost her AP and initiative? I think her value could be as a 1st or 2nd energy weapons character. Thus she could be a combat boost to the party, even coming in a bit later as she does. I'd dump Chisel for her then.

Hopefully they do something to fix her.
Besides the energy weapon, the nice thing with her is her int. When I found her my first thought was "finally! A much needed backup surgeon!" Surgery is tied to int so she is one of two companions capable of having a decently high surgeon skill. She gets enough SP and you get her early enough that her lack of having the skill to start is a non issue.

As for the NPC's in general, I think inXile is making them diverse so they can easily be shaped as the player needs while still making sense from an RP perspective. Once we get to California though, if NPC's are still a cluster mess ofstats and skills, they will be useless as it will be too late in the game to shape them into something more focused. I think Lexicanium would suffer from this if his int wasn't so high because he doesn't have a lot going for him in combat and his skills are redundant.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » June 2nd, 2014, 4:51 pm

Onholyservicebound wrote:Say you lose 3 rangers, and replace them with those guys, then you just have them and your regular companions, what happens if the last player made ranger dies?
They still have a Rogue chance, so I imagine they act like any old recruitable NPC in all respects.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 4th, 2014, 8:34 am

I hope Lexicanium and Vipula get their own unique portraits, it annoys me how Vipula has a Pod person portrait (lol) and Lexicanium has a Synth portrait - which is clearly wrong as it's explained he's still human but with robotic parts in the brain, so more of a Cyborg.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » June 4th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Lucius wrote:
ClashFan wrote:
UPDATE:

Okay, just got Vipula for the first time. Sadly, by this time (my characters are all level 15-18, including Takayuki) she's just not worth keeping. By this time in the game, you already have someone who is your "tech" person. Her only value right now is the energy weapon she has. And, as stated earlier, her initiative and action points make her look a bit weak in combat, esp. when I've already got a leader/tech character.

So, I'm going to recruit her, take her stuff, then dismiss her to the Ranger Center so that I can get Chisel back. Sad, because her bio suggests a possibly very interesting character to have.

Perhaps drop one point each from INT, Luck, and Strength and put them into Awareness/Coordination to boost her AP and initiative? I think her value could be as a 1st or 2nd energy weapons character. Thus she could be a combat boost to the party, even coming in a bit later as she does. I'd dump Chisel for her then.

Hopefully they do something to fix her.
Besides the energy weapon, the nice thing with her is her int. When I found her my first thought was "finally! A much needed backup surgeon!" Surgery is tied to int so she is one of two companions capable of having a decently high surgeon skill. She gets enough SP and you get her early enough that her lack of having the skill to start is a non issue.
I noticed the INT. I make all my Rangers with 6 INT (except the leader/medic/tech guy, who has 9 and gets Surgeon), so anyone else could be a decent backup surgeon.

I've just given Vulture's Cry 1 level (and 3 levels of Field Medic) so that she can use any and all healing items. I haven't noticed, yet, an item that requires Surgeon beyond level 1. Thus, she's my backup medic. That may change in the finished game.

However, yes, she might fit into many parties nicely as a backup medic and tech person.

Gauldoth
Scholar

Post by Gauldoth » July 3rd, 2014, 6:11 am

Im sorry to revive this one but i just saw you talking about those 3 recruitable cnpcs and need to add that i tried a solo run and you cant recruit them until you finish either ag center/highpool or RNC if you fail the both mentioned before. And they act like a normal cnpc (can be dismissed, unlike your 4 starting rangers) as far as i can tell. Havent played too much with the but considering a brygo is part of the team im willing to bet they will have their own personalities and be tied to other places in the wasteland like ralphy for example. Im exited for this

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 3rd, 2014, 6:55 am

Gauldoth wrote:Im sorry to revive this one but i just saw you talking about those 3 recruitable cnpcs and need to add that i tried a solo run and you cant recruit them until you finish either ag center/highpool or RNC if you fail the both mentioned before. And they act like a normal cnpc (can be dismissed, unlike your 4 starting rangers) as far as i can tell. Havent played too much with the but considering a brygo is part of the team im willing to bet they will have their own personalities and be tied to other places in the wasteland like ralphy for example. Im exited for this
Yeah, I was going to do a solo run and grab them so I could jot down some info about their stats and whatnot, but it just ended up being too much trouble. I still might get around to doing it, though - maybe I'll blow up my own part with grenades or something. ;)

palker
Acolyte

Post by palker » August 4th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Will this thread be updated with info about companions after latest patch? I recruited Chisel today and seems like he got the short straw in this update he is level 7 and this are his stats http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/363 ... 08646A196/ .
That is just atrocious, at least i will get some XP for recruiting him and that is only thing he will be good for.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 4th, 2014, 12:47 pm

palker wrote:Will this thread be updated with info about companions after latest patch? I recruited Chisel today and seems like he got the short straw in this update he is level 7 and this are his stats http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/363 ... 08646A196/ .
That is just atrocious, at least i will get some XP for recruiting him and that is only thing he will be good for.
Wow, yeah, that's pretty awful. The Devs seem to have a hard time remembering to update a lot of the Companions' Skill Point totals when they raise or lower a CNPC's level. Hopefully it'll get fixed before the game goes live in another few weeks.

But yeah, I'm planning on doing another Companions list. Just have to finish collecting them all, so I can jot down all their stats and whatnot. Maybe later tonight, if I have time. :)

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » August 4th, 2014, 3:02 pm

palker wrote:Will this thread be updated with info about companions after latest patch? I recruited Chisel today and seems like he got the short straw in this update he is level 7 and this are his stats http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/363 ... 08646A196/ .
Yikes, that is unacceptably bad. 6 levels of skill points simply not present! There is literally no good reason to take him in that condition.

BetaSpectre
Explorer

Post by BetaSpectre » August 4th, 2014, 4:55 pm

I couldn't find Vipula in Darwin's Village was she removed? Makes some sense as mutants aren't taken too kindly. Or maybe its cause I've got the night terror following me around.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 4th, 2014, 5:17 pm

BetaSpectre wrote:I couldn't find Vipula in Darwin's Village was she removed? Makes some sense as mutants aren't taken too kindly. Or maybe its cause I've got the night terror following me around.
There seem to be scattered and inconsistent reports on this. She COULD be Charisma-locked now, only willing to approach the party if they meet a certain threshold. She might also be bugged. Or, of course, she may have just been removed (either permanently or temporarily, depending on the reason behind it).

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » August 4th, 2014, 5:38 pm

SagaDC wrote:
BetaSpectre wrote:I couldn't find Vipula in Darwin's Village was she removed? Makes some sense as mutants aren't taken too kindly. Or maybe its cause I've got the night terror following me around.
There seem to be scattered and inconsistent reports on this. She COULD be Charisma-locked now, only willing to approach the party if they meet a certain threshold. She might also be bugged. Or, of course, she may have just been removed (either permanently or temporarily, depending on the reason behind it).
If she's showing up sometimes, than I'm putting my money on Charisma. I know this was one of the recent changes. And it makes sense in a way for Vipula. Naïve and shy, only willing to approach a particularly approachable party of rangers.

BetaSpectre
Explorer

Post by BetaSpectre » August 4th, 2014, 6:14 pm

I've got 8 Charisma, maybe my guys are too pretty ugly xD or its cause I've got the Night TERROR following me around...or I killed too many surface mutants.

Thanks for telling me that it might be possible as of the current update.

kamineko
Initiate

Post by kamineko » August 4th, 2014, 6:32 pm

she didn't show up for me, either, & i decided not to let the night terror tag along.

i consider my charisma pretty good: 7.

i'm disappointed. i got her at the end of my last playthrough, hoped to get more time with her this go round. :/

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 4th, 2014, 6:36 pm

kamineko wrote:she didn't show up for me, either, & i decided not to let the night terror tag along.

i'm disappointed. i got her at the end of my last playthrough, hoped to get more time with her this go round. :/
I'll try not getting the Night Terror and going in with a modded up max-charisma party, just to see if it does anything. I'm kicking around the Darwin Village area anyway, thought I might have to backtrack to Ranger Citadel to get the location marked on my map first.

I'll update this post when I'm done checking.

UPDATE - Confirmed. Charisma is the key. I ran through Darwin Village with a team that had a collective total of 20 Charisma Points (counting one Trinket), which averages out to about 5 points per "core" ranger. No joy. I then reloaded to right before I talked to Jan and "concluded" the quest with an edited save file where I had 40 Charisma Points (10 per "core" ranger) and Vipula (now named Pizepi Joren) met me at the entrance and asked to join.

UPDATE 2 - Okay, maybe not. She showed up the first time, but not the second time. Maybe it's random, based on Luck? Or maybe it's just glitchy.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » August 4th, 2014, 8:44 pm

SagaDC wrote:
kamineko wrote:she didn't show up for me, either, & i decided not to let the night terror tag along.

I'll try not getting the Night Terror and going in with a modded up max-charisma party, just to see if it does anything. I'm kicking around the Darwin Village area anyway, thought I might have to backtrack to Ranger Citadel to get the location marked on my map first.

I'll update this post when I'm done checking.

UPDATE - Confirmed. Charisma is the key. I ran through Darwin Village with a team that had a collective total of 20 Charisma Points (counting one Trinket), which averages out to about 5 points per "core" ranger. No joy. I then reloaded to right before I talked to Jan and "concluded" the quest with an edited save file where I had 40 Charisma Points (10 per "core" ranger) and Vipula (now named Pizepi Joren) met me at the entrance and asked to join.

UPDATE 2 - Okay, maybe not. She showed up the first time, but not the second time. Maybe it's random, based on Luck? Or maybe it's just glitchy.
Wait, wait, wait...!

Did you say...?

Pizepi Joren? That's either the best or the worst name I've ever heard!

I need more time to decide.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 4th, 2014, 8:53 pm

marceror wrote:Wait, wait, wait...!

Did you say...?

Pizepi Joren? That's either the best or the worst name I've ever heard!

I need more time to decide.
Yeah, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. She's green now, though, so she looks like a mutant (or an extra from Star Trek). Her portrait is still the default "Pod Person" image, but I imagine that will change.

I suspect the reason she's so hard to find at the moment is because they're still implementing her. It IS worth noting that she now has unique dialogue keyed to certain regions (such as the Rail Nomad Camp).

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 4th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Seems like Darwin got upgraded a fair bit in the new patch then? I'll have to check it out.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 4th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Crosmando wrote:Seems like Darwin got upgraded a fair bit in the new patch then? I'll have to check it out.
Not to a huge extent, but there are definitely a handful of notable changes and some pretty big question marks.