[spoilers] Are the townsfolk at Baldwin Hills supposed to be hostile?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Wireball
Initiate

[spoilers] Are the townsfolk at Baldwin Hills supposed to be hostile?

Post by Wireball » July 9th, 2019, 7:40 pm

I suspect that I've gotten the game into an inconsistent state.

Back at Angel Oracle (the Mannerite Base), when the Mannerites confronted me for supposedly helping Fletcher (ridiculous claim - I'd just spoken with him 20 seconds ago in plain view of the guard), I declined to leave a hostage. They opened fire, and I defended myself. I tried to minimize the killing, although that still left around a dozen or more dead on their side after I worked my way out the front gates.

I don't care about the Mannerites much, but the storyline is continuing to go on as if I'm trying to clear up the CotC smear campaign and make good with the Mannerites, which seems strange. All the Angel Oracle quests are still active. A Mannerite tower guard actually gave me a quest to bring them water *after* I'd shot my way out of the Mannerite coliseum (I didn't get too close, since they appeared to be hostile).

That said, what's bothering me is that I just arrived at Baldwin Hills, and no matter what:
1.) the townsfolk are hostile before the battle begins, and
2.) remain hostile after the battle ends.

The townsfolk dialogue suggests that they've figured out that something odd is going on, but they still do their best to kill me. I tried playing it several ways - waiting for one of the townsfolk to point me out and for the CotC to turn around, shooting the CotC in the back, etc.

The townsfolk don't appear to be Mannerites. I haven't shot any of them. Other settlements seem friendly.

Roger Lee even opens the gate, walks out front, asks what happened, then proceeds to attack me. I reloaded and tried staying further back - but if I get close it triggers combat and he attacks. Screenshot:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1798673526

I've dug through every thread I could find mentioning Baldwin Hills or Roger Lee. The closest thing I could find was the following thread URL, although that person got a peaceful resolution with the townsfolk, so I can't for the life of me figure out why the townsfolk remain hostile towards me.
viewtopic.php?p=133622#p133622

Just a mis-set flag in the save, you think?

Gillsing
Explorer

Re: [spoilers] Are the townsfolk at Baldwin Hills supposed to be hostile?

Post by Gillsing » July 10th, 2019, 8:00 am

Judging by this (from your link) it sounds as if the Baldwin Hills townsfolk belong to the Mannerites faction:
Pandur wrote:
October 15th, 2014, 9:34 am
ehrgeix wrote:Maybe you accidently shot a townsperson or something during the fight and it flagged them as hostile (???).
Nope, they're hostile because I put Tori Robbinson in charge of Angel Oracle. All Mannerites are enemies from that point on.
Which seems like a shortcut taken by the developer responsible for that quest. I guess I could check to see which faction gets upset if I start attacking townsfolk in Baldwin Hills? If that turns Mannerites hostile, I guess they're Mannerites.

EDIT: After slaughtering Baldwin Hills, Faction 14 had Anger 20 in the Faction Anger List at the end of my save file. After picking a fight in Angel Oracle by setting off the alarm on their refrigeration building both Faction 14 and 15 were set to Anger 0, regardless of if I had slaughtered Baldwin Hills or not (tried both). So that tells me that Faction 14 is one of the Mannerite factions, and that the game therefore considers the Baldwin Hills townsfolk to be Mannerites, even though they're just under their protection. The Mannerites at Angel Oracle were not hostile after I had slaughtered Baldwin Hills, presumably because the game just counted it as a transgression and more would be needed for full hostility.

Wireball
Initiate

Re: [spoilers] Are the townsfolk at Baldwin Hills supposed to be hostile?

Post by Wireball » July 11th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Gillsing wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 8:00 am
/* snip */
EDIT: After slaughtering Baldwin Hills, Faction 14 had Anger 20 in the Faction Anger List at the end of my save file. After picking a fight in Angel Oracle by setting off the alarm on their refrigeration building both Faction 14 and 15 were set to Anger 0, regardless of if I had slaughtered Baldwin Hills or not (tried both). So that tells me that Faction 14 is one of the Mannerite factions, and that the game therefore considers the Baldwin Hills townsfolk to be Mannerites, even though they're just under their protection. The Mannerites at Angel Oracle were not hostile after I had slaughtered Baldwin Hills, presumably because the game just counted it as a transgression and more would be needed for full hostility.
Thank you - that must be it. Cool, well now I know. Good thing I had a bad feeling about it and made a backup save back when I had the choice of whether to leave one of my rangers as a hostage with the Mannerites :)

EDIT:
Yep, you're right, comparing the XML for the two savegames, the only discrepancy (in the factionAngerList section) is that this was added after I had the shootout in Angel Oracle:

Code: Select all

<factionAnger><faction>14</faction><anger>0</anger></factionAnger><factionAnger><faction>15</faction><anger>0</anger></factionAnger>