Finished My First Playthrough (Only too long due)

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Mercer Skye
Initiate

Finished My First Playthrough (Only too long due)

Post by Mercer Skye » June 11th, 2019, 4:05 am

As usual in my life, I'm way past too late to the party. First got the game when it came out, and life's obligations constantly got in the way of playing it. I'd try to save Ag Center, get called out of town, and by the time I had any free time at the PC, I'd have to start all over. Repeat ad nauseum until just recently. Not that I hadn't had time to complete it before, it had just fallen towards the bottom of my list of things I wanted to do. I now feel highly disappointed in myself for not having played this beauty of a game sooner. Is it perfect? No. But it was a damned fun ride.

Squad I rolled with (Only went in on Seasoned, as I was beyond rusty on my CRPG 'skills'): 'The Broken'

Maggie 'The Mouse' Delores-
All of 16 years old, saved by a ranger patrol from a roving raider gang. Her glassy stare and quiet attitude tell a sad tale of a ranger squad saving the day too late. Nearly catatonic, she was nursed back to a relatively healthy state at Ranger Citadel. Instead of saying thanks and moving on, she signed up to be possibly one of the youngest recruits the Citadel has had. A natural crackshot with a sniper rifle, and a steady arm for flinging grenades made her a prime scout. Her reserved and quiet demeanor sharpened her eye, and coupled with a disturbingly ghost light touch, made her a pro at cracking the toughest safes and disarming the toughest traps. While a person of few words, when she does speak, she's been known to make men three times her size balk in fear.
(Sniper Rifles, Demo, Perception, Safecracking, Hard Ass)

Bobby Grimm 'The Padre' - Found half dead by a supply caravan on their way to Ranger Citadel, only survivor among what appeared to be a group of religious types migrating from somewhere. Caravan crew described the mess as 'nightmarish,' and 'inhumanly grisly.' Grimm suffers from memory loss, either from PTSD or legitimate brain damage. Maybe even both. His hands and his faith are steady as anything, and he's as good with thread and needle, as he is with scalpel and pistol. His deft touch can disarm any alarm, and put together all but the worst of gaping wounds.
(Medic, Surgeon, Pistols, Alarm Disarming, Leadership)

Nat Bedlam 'Broke Tooth' - A shotgun slinging smart ass from Highpool, Nat bit off more than he could chew while acting as a mechanic and weaponsmith for a trader running a weapons caravan across the Arizona wasteland. While between Red Skorpion Territory and Highpool, his caravan came across some less than well defended types looking for a new home. After the trader and his guards were aiming to rob and kill the folks, Nat chose, foolishly or not, to do the right thing. The Ranger squad that found him thought he was just another one of the corpses. His actions saved naught but two of the moving settlers out of a dozen, and killed the trader and his guards. Not without losing most of his top front teeth on top of most of his blood when he and the last of the caravan guard went to clubbing each other with the handled end of their shotguns.
(Shotguns, Mechanical Repair, Weaponsmithing, Smart Ass)

Irene Breda- A card carrying Atheist from a dusty collection of huts and barely arable farmland southeast of the Rail Nomad's Camp. After the feud started, it got harder and harder for her little section of the wastes to make any money. A loose collection of people that barely got along when things were going good, they got down right cutthroat when things started going sideways. One drunken idiot later, and she was staring down the business end of a retooled M1, being shaken down for her last can of tuna. Her gift of gab saved her, and in a moment of hesitation, she capitalized on the moment and walked away with a new retooled M1 in addition to her preferred hunting knife and bags of polished and repainted junk and trinkets.
(Bladed Weapons, Heavy Weapons,Kiss Ass, Barter)

Maybe not an ideal team (Though Seasoned by the end felt like something you could take anything into and come out alright), but it was a fun team. In their journey, they ended up taking on a few friends; Angela Deth after they first started into the wastes, Vulture's Cry when saving Highpool, Lexcanium after they freed Damonta, and well after Deth departed to head back to the Citadel. A young man from the Leve L'upe mine joined on as they cleared lingering infestation from the Ag Center fallout. Unfortunately, he would fall after Team Echo found their way into LA. They came across a man called Pete, and another fella named Ertan, but neither quite felt like part of the squad. They found a common thread in a man called himself Brother Neil, though, and in the end, Team Echo, in company of Vulture's Cry, Lexcanium, and Brother Neil helped calm the nerves of the Los Angeles wetlands, and make for a besieged Ranger Citadel.

Was quite a surprise (Though not that surprised) when Lex was taken over by the Cochise AI during the final battle against Matthias and his mad crusade. Although he'd turned his gun towards us, he still was a good ally in the final fight. as he was the first to take the attention of Matthias/Cochise and the synth forces under the Citadel, he provided enough distraction to keep our allies back and in cover. Team Echo and General Vargas were able to take advantage of the distraction caused by the sudden but inevitable betrayal of the evolved among us, and flank the forces of the Cochise Hivemind forces. Sadly, most of the allies that rallied to the Citadel took the brunt of the assault, but Vargas and Team Echo laid them low on the ramparts of the Citadel Mainframe. Vargas gave himself to the cause, letting the fresh batch of new recruits escape to safety before detonating the nukes under the citadel to put down the Mad AI for good (Or mayhap just for now?)

(Thank you for reading this far)

Felt like this was about the most appropriate place to put this as I have some lingering questions after my first playthrough;

Namely, now that I plan on doing a follow up playthrough to catch the achievements I missed out on in the first, I am going to bump up the difficulty (Maybe not straight to SJ, but definitely Ranger), should I import the characters from the Seasoned run, or is it fine to start 'all over' again?

Definitely would like to build the team up a bit differently (Maybe a lot, Shotguns didn't really seem like much until the very end....though I guess that's all that really matters? Heavy weapons ended up not really being as bad, in my opinion, as folks make it out to be, though, granted, definitely more of an end game investment)

Somehow on the first playthrough, I managed to miss out on a shrine or two, would it be worth spending perks on getting the World Explorer perk (Unlocks all 'hidden' locations on the map) I really thought I'd gotten them all.... but apparently not, as that achievement is still grayed out.

Lastly, does anyone know if one of those 'hidden achievements' involves keeping one of the 'hanger on' companions alive? (Vax, Night Terror, Jaime, etc) Because shy of the Night Terror, and that guy from Los Feliz I was smart enough to leave behind until I cleared the gauntlet, all of those that 'tagged along,' ended up dying in horrible and spectacular ways...

Last lastly, is there a good place to get custom portraits? A lot of my googling for answers to obscure stuff in the game led me to some squad guides and whatnot, and they had some 'obviously not W2' character portraits I thought were pretty cool.

Helz
Novice

Re: Finished My First Playthrough (Only too long due)

Post by Helz » June 20th, 2019, 11:28 am

Nice write up, congratulations on finishing WL2. Its a difficult game, I don't think that many make it all the way through.

I have only completed it once, so I don't have most of your answers. Portraits can be any 256x256 .png file.

I'll be avoiding shotguns if I start again. I had nobody with heavy weapons last game, so I will definitely try those. How was it combining Heavy weapons with blades?

I couldn't keep Vargas alive for the last fight, he was way too gung ho. I tried not to bring him, but he pulled rank. Scotchmo pressed the button in the end. Or I thought he did. I hear some SoB up in Denver is claiming to be him. I'm not holding my breath, but that old boy might just be lucky enough to get blown sky high and come back down with a golden nest egg.

Mercer Skye
Initiate

Re: Finished My First Playthrough (Only too long due)

Post by Mercer Skye » June 23rd, 2019, 4:01 am

Helz wrote: ↑
June 20th, 2019, 11:28 am
Nice write up, congratulations on finishing WL2. Its a difficult game, I don't think that many make it all the way through.

I have only completed it once, so I don't have most of your answers. Portraits can be any 256x256 .png file.

I'll be avoiding shotguns if I start again. I had nobody with heavy weapons last game, so I will definitely try those. How was it combining Heavy weapons with blades?

I couldn't keep Vargas alive for the last fight, he was way too gung ho. I tried not to bring him, but he pulled rank. Scotchmo pressed the button in the end. Or I thought he did. I hear some SoB up in Denver is claiming to be him. I'm not holding my breath, but that old boy might just be lucky enough to get blown sky high and come back down with a golden nest egg.
Thank you. I have no doubt there's people that give up, I felt the urge a time or three.

Heavy Weapons and Blades actually felt pretty good together. Having the strength to tote two heavy items around and still have room for other gear was nice. Also just being able to wade in and engage at close to medium range in fights was spectacular, no waiting on dodging around cover to land blows, dash, stab, crouch, engage rotary death.

I've so far managed to avoid anything WL3 related. Which makes me sad, because I surely would have jumped on that kickstarter.