Starting party -- please review

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

caradoc
Initiate

Starting party -- please review

Post by caradoc » March 11th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I played the original Wasteland back in the day, so I'm really looking forward to Wasteland 2 Directors Cut. I've read up on build recommendations and here's what I've come up with. I'd be most grateful for comments or suggestions. For NPCs, I will have Angela and Ralphie for a time but plan to settle in with Pizepi, Vulture's Cry, and Chisel.

Leader 2 1 3 2 10 4 6 Auto Rifle, Leadership, Kiss Ass, Computer Science
Sniper 8 1 6 2 6 4 1 Sniper Rifle, Alarm Disarm, Safecracking, Lock Picking
Brawler 2 1 4 6 10 4 1 Brawling, Demolitions, Field Medic, Surgeon
Mechanic 4 1 6 4 8 4 1 Auto Rifle, Weaponsmith, Mechanical Repair, Toaster Repair

Some worries:
Will 4 INT for everybody give me enough skill points?
Can I rely on Pizepi for my Perception checks?
Will Chisel's HardAss be enough after Angela leaves? Looks like I'll need HA 8.
Should I plan to develop Energy Weapons on the Mechanic or leave the good gun on Pizepi?

Gillsing
Explorer

Re: Starting party -- please review

Post by Gillsing » March 11th, 2019, 5:49 pm

It might be wiser to let Pizepi handle Demolitions if she's going to be handling Perception, because most of the explosives to disarm need to be spotted first, and it's a nuisance to have to bring two characters around in a mine field. And you certainly should let Pizepi handle Perception if you plan to get by with Intelligence 4 on all your created Rangers. I haven't done the maths, but it seems reasonable that you could max all important skills if you make good use of NPC skills, trinkets and skill books. Though maxing all important skills by the end of the game might not be as helpful as being able to max all of them in good time to use them during the game. Around level 30 or so you'll lose the chance to use your skills in Arizona, and you might want certain skills to be level 7 there. And some skills such as Leadership you'd want to max as soon as possible, especially with Chisel on your team. Leaving the good energy weapon for Pizepi and relying on her skill seems like the best choice for saving up on skill points. Turning your mechanic into a tank might also be a good choice, because it's nice to have options. Like, between a hammer and a screwdriver.

It looks like Chisel's Hard Ass should suffice for Arizona and the rest of the game, assuming you put 12 skill points into it to bring it to 6 quickly enough to use it in the Canyon of Titan when he's level 16, while wearing a Shiny Ranger Star trinket or wielding the unique SMG with the +1 Hard Ass, which can't be brought into the Sadler conversation without some trickery. Later in the game there will be some consumables which give a temporary +1 Hard Ass as well, so Hard Ass 7 for the Bloodthirsty perk should suffice, since there seems to only be three Hard Ass 10 skill checks, and they don't even seem particularly important. Or you could go with Hard Ass 5 and use the Intimidating perk to bring the total to 10 for those occasions. Or stick with 3 and the Intimidating perk, the trinket, the SMG (with the trickery) for 7 in Arizona, and 8 when you get access to the consumables. They're not unlimited, but there should be enough of them.

caradoc
Initiate

Post by caradoc » March 12th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Great feedback. Thanks so much.

caradoc
Initiate

Post by caradoc » April 18th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Hi again! I've finished my game and thought someone might get some use out of what I found. First, I gotta say it was everything I hoped for and the best gaming experience I've had in a long time. I got hooked on gaming because of the original Wasteland (along with Ultima III) and this brought back fond memories and then took it to another level. I really enjoyed the cultural references and profanity. Can't wait for Wasteland 3.

As to my worries:

-4 INT for everybody was more than enough. I could even have had a 1 INT pure fighter and still covered everything, thanks to skilled NPCs.

-Pizepi was fine for Perception, though I gave a couple of levels to a PC to get me by till she arrived. I added Demolitions, as suggested. However, going to Ag Center for the Dog Collars to get Pizepi meant I ended up with Rose instead of Vulture's Cry. That worked out well as she could handle Alarms, Computers, and Surgery. Thanks to all of those skill points, I was also able to 'Vulturize' her with Sniper, Outdoorsman, and Animal Whisperer.

-Chisel's HardAss 5 was enough, after using a Perk and a Trinket. I had good KissAss on a PC and SmartAss on Rose, so I didn't need HardAss very often. I pumped up Chisel's Speed to help him get into the action and he became a quite useful addition, taking care of all the heavy lifting and only going rogue one time.

-Energy Weapons were way under-powered, so I converted Pizepi to Auto Rifle. This gave me 3 ARs, 2 SRs, a Brawler, and a Blunt. Looking back, I'd trade out the Brawler for another Sniper, making my Leader PC the Field Medic, offloading Demolitions to Pizepi and Alarms to Rose.

So if I were starting again, I'd go with:
Leader 2 1 3 2 10 4 6 Auto Rifle, Leadership, Kiss Ass, Field Medic
Mechanic 4 1 6 4 8 4 1 Auto Rifle, Weaponsmith, Mechanical Repair, Toaster Repair
Sniper-1 8 1 6 2 6 4 1 Sniper Rifle, Safecracking, Lock Picking
Sniper-2 10 1 10 4 1 1 1 Sniper Rifle

By and large, I got what I wanted out of my original team. I never had a battle in doubt and I guess I completed 90% of the quests. Rose, Pizepi, and Chisel were entertaining companions who certainly pulled their weight.

Cheers!