*spoiler* anyone else abandoned a game due to acute pod infection?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

rossb2
Initiate

*spoiler* anyone else abandoned a game due to acute pod infection?

Post by rossb2 » September 6th, 2018, 1:49 pm

its my first play through on Ranger difficulty. Really enjoyed so far, but I fear i may have to abandon my game. Im doing AG center first. I was aware of the pod infection, and have 4 infected members, right from the very first ever pod burst. I thought I had another couple of hours to get treated. But no, the pod infection has now turned acute at around 115 minutes to go, causing major problems with 4 members of my squad. I still have the east field to go. I think i am probably screwed now.

The problem is, this is through no fault of my own. I could not have avoided the very first pod, as you effectively get called towards it on the intercom. I would probably have to play most of AG center again to roll things back. I am not sure i can be bothered to do this , as it would be a serious grind, and would be boring to see and do everything again, you are talking 4 playing days of progress at least, maybe 8 hours.

I am pretty horrified at this game mechanic, and may have to abandon my game entirely. Has anyone else faced this? Its such a pity, as everything else about the game is great. I do feel that this mechanic is never properly explained to the player. It took me a while to even realise there was a countdown timer. It is also misleading, as you never know that pod infection will turn to chronic pod infection with 2 hours to go, which for me is game breaking.

Gillsing
Explorer

Re: *spoiler* anyone else abandoned a game due to acute pod infection?

Post by Gillsing » September 6th, 2018, 3:00 pm

I did Highpool the first time I started the game, so when I went to Ag Center after that I was warned of the pods and how they exploded, and shot them from a distance with the most useless ammo I had available. Later I learned that shooting was unnecessary, and that just walking close enough and then backing off would explode pods at a safe distance. Saves ammo, but is a bit riskier.

And you could definitely have avoided the first pod. I generally only explore new areas with a single Ranger, because dragging an entire group around is asking for someone to step in a pile of unexploded mines. (EDIT: Though now I see that it was you who also posted about not knowing how to move single Rangers in the PS4 version, so I guess that explains that.) And when something starts pulsating in red, that is not a good sign. But you could have reloaded from a recent save and approached the pod more carefully on a replay. "Save often and reload" is the motto of this game. You can screw yourself over by making bad decisions, so don't just assume that the game will let you win no matter what.

But I'm sure you can finish Ag Center within two hours if that's the time you have left. Though the eastern fields is a pretty big area, and clearing the gas in the tunnel there is a bit of a puzzle, so you may have to play a section to explore, and then reload your current saved game with two hours left, and redo the section in a way that wastes little time when you already know where to go and what to do. Or ignore a section for the moment if it turns out that nothing there is crucial to your primary objective. At this point you shouldn't waste time exploring and just press on to get the job done.

Here's the general direction to head in once you enter the eastern fields: Head straight ahead (south-southwest) from the barn door and to the entrance to animal pens across the fields, then enter the pens and proceed until you reach the end.

rossb2
Initiate

Post by rossb2 » September 7th, 2018, 1:16 am

yeah theres 2 hours to go, but chronic pod infection takes 1 CON/health every 30 seconds. So the timer is misleading. I thought i had 4 hours to get it all done, but in reality its 2 hours. So my whole game was screwed the moment i hit the first pod, and i just wasted 8 hours? The scientist at AG cures the guy in the wheel chair, but for some reason she doesnt give your team the cure until you finish all the missions at ag?

Gillsing
Explorer

Post by Gillsing » September 7th, 2018, 3:09 am

Yeah, that's pretty much how she handles that, for some reason. Though there might be a difference between curing one person and creating a cure that'll stop the infection for the entire place. I didn't know that the effects of acute (or chronic?) pod infection, as I've never had anyone get worse from the initial infection. If your Rangers are now losing CON every 30 seconds I guess you'll have to find the guy who can be convinced to provide free medical service at the first aid station near the laboratory.

Here is where and how you do that: He's locked inside a cage on the east side of a building in the center of the eastern fields. When you meet him, tell him that his girlfriend died, and also use Smart Ass 2 to get him to go to the medical facility, where I think you have to use Kiss Ass to get him to start working as a doctor.

But going back and forth to heal damage all the time seems like a real slog. Maybe if you have a save before the infection got worse you could go back to that one and replay from there? Now that you should know what to do it should go much quicker and you might be able to get it done in time to prevent things getting worse.

rossb2
Initiate

Post by rossb2 » September 7th, 2018, 3:27 am

thanks. i think i will have to replay the whole of AG, but not get the first pod infection. Just not sure I can do the whole of AG in two hours, particularly with the time it takes going through inventories. I will probably temporarily turn the difficulty down to easy and fly through it, then put the difficulty back again.
Last edited by rossb2 on September 7th, 2018, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gillsing
Explorer

Post by Gillsing » September 7th, 2018, 4:05 am

I'm not sure what you're doing in your inventories, but you can just leave all the loot in bags on the ground if you're running out of carrying capacity. If you drop a lot of stuff at the same time it'll all end up in the same bag, and remain there forever (as far as I know). The realism of scavengers finding your stuff and picking it up was not included in the game. No one would dare.

But if you have explosives, you might want to hold on to them for the end of Ag Center. It can be a bit of a 'nuke from orbit' situation.

Then again, replaying has the benefit of you being able to make a better team, now that you know how the game plays. I remade my Ranger team a few times before progressing past Highpool/Ag Center, and restarted again after Titan's Valley, possibly because Angela Deth turned out to not be a permanent member of my team, but also because my scout turned out to be my killer, because Combat Initiative is king, and I just didn't get that until that late in the game. And also because the one tier 4 weapon in Arizona randomly turned out to be for my scout's weapon skill.

You can also go to Rail Nomads Camp to beef up your new team before going close enough to Ag Center/Highpool to activate the distress call. That's what I did with my latest team, so I don't know the hardship of going through Ag Center immediately after the Radio Tower. If you're clever enough you can even do the quest that gets you the discount from Holliday's store and stock up on Sabot Rockets early on. That should ensure victory at the Ag Center.

I would also like to recommend the Thick-Skinned quirk, plus Hardened, plus Self Defense (Bladed Weapons 3) plus a Steel Plate Armor, for total Armor 2+1+1+4=8 (7 without Self Defense active). That'll keep that Ranger alive against the most dangerous enemy in Ag Center. Aside from the pod infection, that is.

rossb2
Initiate

Post by rossb2 » September 7th, 2018, 6:56 am

@gillsing well i played on a bit. i thought my characters might die,but they just stick at zero health. I am about to go in the east field. If I can find Ryan in the east field and get the free medical care i read about, this game might be salvageable? how do i get Ryan to help me? I am reading that you need a high level of smart ass?

Gillsing
Explorer

Post by Gillsing » September 7th, 2018, 7:14 am

I don't remember, but the list says you only need Smart Ass 2. Maybe that's the only test, and it's checked at the medical facility, because I don't remember any check at the cage. Though I have a vague recollection of there being an easier Kiss Ass check for the same thing, so maybe that's a level 1 check?

Onedown3togo
Initiate

Post by Onedown3togo » July 9th, 2019, 2:33 am

Okay I'm going to necro this. On my first play through (on four now) I made a completely custom party. I too went for ag center. I figured out how to avoid the pods fairly early (have one party member step up till they start pulsing rapidly then back away) but got several infected in the process, That's not what stopped me. What stopped me was field three. I didn't understand that I needed to conserve healing and ammunition as much as possible. I went straight for ag center without much healing and with only starting weapons. I found myself facing killer rabbits with a badly damaged party, no healing or boom booms left and low on ammo. I'd also burned through my save slots (nothing left before situation went very bad). I bet I reloaded a dozen or more times trying to salvage an out but in the end I had to give it up and start over, I went for Highpool on second play through. I didn't do ag center (successfully) till number three.