Angel Oracle - What to do with Tori Robbinson?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

hshshs
Initiate

Angel Oracle - What to do with Tori Robbinson?

Post by hshshs » April 3rd, 2018, 5:22 am

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what the best way is to handle Tori Robbinson in Angel Oracle during a "Let's keep up Ranger values and go for peaceful solutions" playthrough?

As I see it there's basically three approaches:
1. Support Tori in her rebellion (or at least let it happen)
2. Support Mr. Manners and alert him to Tori's plans
3. Support Mr. Manners and keep Tori's scheme secret from him.

Approach 1 is out of the question for me: Tori is a traitorous, scheming, cheating, murderous and disloyal opposition leader. I don't want her in charge of Angel Oracle.
Approach 2 seems easy: I can discuss Tori's plans with Mr. Manners and he will immediately see the light. In return, I can abandon the "Free Fletcher from his hideout" quest and get back my team member who was held hostage; I receive free access to the armory; and Mr Manners will agree on his own to reform the cruel Mannerite laws on capital punishment for minor transgressions / periodical human sacrifice. Also, you will receive the quest to go to the LA Aqueduct to finally deal with Tori, which gives you the toaster heating element and in return Mr Manners' cat litter.
Approach 3 seems more sophisticated as it requires HA or SA (or was it KA?) on skill level 10: You can then persuade Mr Manners to abort the impending execution. Tori will be unhappy, but, since her usurpation plans are still secret, will not turn hostile. So no aqueducts and no toaster heating element, meaning no cat litter (I realize there's plenty of other opportunities to retrieve enough litter). Also no free access to the armory.

Overall it looks like approach 2 is the most rewarding; which seems odd, as usually the approach with the most difficult skill check (here: approach 3) will yield the best results (e.g. reconciling the RNC tribes). Are there any short or long term advantages to approach 3? Or is the more straightforward approach 2 here really the best solution?

Gillsing
Scholar

Re: Angel Oracle - What to do with Tori Robbinson?

Post by Gillsing » April 3rd, 2018, 7:49 am

Other than revealing Tori's plot I only get an SA or a KA option during the execution scene, and neither option actually aborts the execution, only makes Mr Manners insist that Fletcher has been given many chances to improve his manners. The only way for my Rangers to stop the execution is to mention Tori's plot. Which makes sense, since Mr Manners has his ulterior motive provided by that very plot. So I'm not sure how you get your third option?

hshshs
Initiate

Post by hshshs » April 3rd, 2018, 9:14 am

Gillsing wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 7:49 am
Other than revealing Tori's plot I only get an SA or a KA option during the execution scene, and neither option actually aborts the execution, only makes Mr Manners insist that Fletcher has been given many chances to improve his manners. The only way for my Rangers to stop the execution is to mention Tori's plot. Which makes sense, since Mr Manners has his ulterior motive provided by that very plot. So I'm not sure how you get your third option?
Huh - that's interesting. Fletcher definitely remains alive when I use SA/KA during the execution scene. Mr Manners indeed has a short monologue about how Fletcher had a number of chances; and then calls off the execution and vows to change the Mannerites' grisly traditions of human sacrifice. The gathered Robbinsons start booing and hollering and then storm off. Their random chatter throughout the Oracle premises also changes to something along "Man, I was so pumped for the execution; it's a shame we didn't get it". Fletcher stands near the execution platform with his wife.
In your gameplay the execution still takes place? What KA/SA level did you have?

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 3rd, 2018, 9:46 am

hshshs wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 5:22 am
"Let's keep up Ranger values and go for peaceful solutions"
I think the two are mutually exclusive ... enforcing their will by force of arms is pretty much part of the charter.

I feel like to really do their job (to bring stability to the region), the Rangers have to take action to shut Robbinson down decisively. Being nice to both sides is just asking for a bigger, bloodier fight between them later.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » April 3rd, 2018, 2:53 pm

hshshs wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 9:14 am
In your gameplay the execution still takes place? What KA/SA level did you have?
KA 10, SA 8, but 10 when I'm testing that dialogue option. Maybe it's a Total Party Charisma thing? I have 25 when everyone but the dialogue skills are wearing their dog collars. Or maybe there was something else I should've done while I was in Angel Oracle, such as examining the steam tunnels before bringing Fletcher back, or even talking to him? Maybe then my Rangers would have a high enough standing for their words to be considered? I just didn't want to mess with the inevitable combat in the steam tunnels while I was trying out different approaches.

hshshs
Initiate

Post by hshshs » April 4th, 2018, 5:37 am

Gillsing wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 2:53 pm
hshshs wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 9:14 am
KA 10, SA 8, but 10 when I'm testing that dialogue option. Maybe it's a Total Party Charisma thing? I have 25 when everyone but the dialogue skills are wearing their dog collars. Or maybe there was something else I should've done while I was in Angel Oracle, such as examining the steam tunnels before bringing Fletcher back, or even talking to him? Maybe then my Rangers would have a high enough standing for their words to be considered? I just didn't want to mess with the inevitable combat in the steam tunnels while I was trying out different approaches.
I have a comparably low combined team charisma (definitely less than 25), so it's probably not that. I also didn't investigate the steam tunnels until later. Did you play in the Director's Cut? Did you convince Mr Manners beforehand to stop cannibalism? I delivered The Gooch to the hospital and talked to the doctor; Mr Manners accepted The Gooch's sickness as proof that the consumption of human flesh needs to be stopped. Maybe this is a requirement to stop his human sacrifices, too.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » April 4th, 2018, 6:09 am

I did not manage to get anything out of the Gooch. Am I supposed to report him to the guards to get him delivered to the hospital? I did that once, and predictably he disappeared, but I don't know if I checked the hospital that time. I assumed he was delivered to their larder or something. So that's probably it then.

hshshs
Initiate

Post by hshshs » April 4th, 2018, 6:15 am

Zombra wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 9:46 am
hshshs wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 5:22 am
"Let's keep up Ranger values and go for peaceful solutions"
I think the two are mutually exclusive ... enforcing their will by force of arms is pretty much part of the charter.

I feel like to really do their job (to bring stability to the region), the Rangers have to take action to shut Robbinson down decisively. Being nice to both sides is just asking for a bigger, bloodier fight between them later.
Yes, that's a pretty good point. I refused to give the nuke to the Diamondback Militia in the Canyon / Temple of Titan for the same reason.

However, I replayed the Tori options and think I was mistaken: Revealing Tori's plan to Mr Manners gives you all the goodies I mentioned above EXCEPT that Mr Manners does NOT offer to stop the tradition of regular human sacrifices. He only does so if I stop the execution via the dialogue skill check. I think I confused the sacrifice thing with the Mannerites' cannibalism (which is likewise a disgusting tradition but separate from the human sacrifices).

So the outcomes (+ for desirable results and - for undesirable results) are as follows:

* Both cases:
+ Fletcher lives
+ Team member hostage is freed

* Reveal Tori's plan to Mr Manners
+ Free access to armory granted
+ Potential troublemaker Tori can be permanently removed from the equation
+ Access to Mr Manners' cat litter
- Mannerites keep human sacrifices / capital punishment for small infractions

* Talk Mr Manners out of the execution and keep Tori's plan secret
+ Mannerites stop human sacrifices
- No access to armory
- No punishment for Tori; she can lurk in the shadows to make her move later
- No access to Mr Manners' cat litter

Is this summary correct? If so, are there any long term consequences of my choice? Making the Mannerites stop their useless killings sounds like a worthy goal. I could live with forgoing the armory (although it has some pretty sweet gear, such as very effective trinkets and a G41); I could also do without the cat litter as there are alternative sources. So the only really relevant factor would be Tori herself. Does her survival come back to bite me or the (reformed) Mannerites later?

hshshs
Initiate

Post by hshshs » April 4th, 2018, 6:23 am

Gillsing wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 6:09 am
I did not manage to get anything out of the Gooch. Am I supposed to report him to the guards to get him delivered to the hospital? I did that once, and predictably he disappeared, but I don't know if I checked the hospital that time. I assumed he was delivered to their larder or something. So that's probably it then.
Hm, sounds like that could be the trigger indeed. I did the following: Report The Gooch to the guards; open the coolers and discover the human flesh; go to the hospital; talk to The Gooch (he stands near the "upper" wall, farthest from the entrance); talk to the doctor and discuss cannibalism (skill check here I believe); talk to Mr Manners. He stopped the cannibalism then; and when leaving the pressbooth, a radio message confirms that no more courtesy meat will be served.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » April 4th, 2018, 8:39 am

hshshs wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 6:15 am
- Mannerites keep human sacrifices / capital punishment for small infractions
While the human sacrifices seem to serve a motivational purpose and not just a source of meat, I got the impression from Mr Manners that he would stop killing and eating his own people if the Rangers could find someone to sell beef to the Angel Oracle. Got some sort of trade letter or something to that effect. But evidently the woman in Cerritos doesn't have enough cows to even acknowledge such a suggestion, so I assume someone in Hollywood might have a access to lots of beef cows. If that is so, and if I haven't assumed too much regarding cannibalism/sacrifices, then it seems possible to stop the killings while still kill Tori.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 4th, 2018, 9:45 am

Correct, Gillsing. That's how it ended up in my game.

hshshs
Initiate

Post by hshshs » April 6th, 2018, 1:45 am

Zombra wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 9:45 am
Correct, Gillsing. That's how it ended up in my game.
Hm, I just completed Angel Oracle on the "rat out Tori to Mr Manners" path: In my playthrough he stopped cannibalism because I proved with The Gooch's example that it will have harmful effects. But he did not vow to stop the summary executions / human sacrifices. Also, Fletcher is obviously saved, but Elizaveta told me that he's now banned from the Oracle premises.
On the other path (stopping the execution with KA / SA), Fletcher stayed on the premises with Elizaveta; in addition to Mr Manners stopping the execution traditions.
Maybe some prior side quest triggered my results being different from yours - I guess I'll be extra careful in a future playthrough to optimize the final quest results... :-)