Reactivity You Liked [Spoilers OK!]

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Zombra
Global Moderator

Reactivity You Liked [Spoilers OK!]

Post by Zombra » January 25th, 2018, 9:57 am

Wasteland 2 hung its hat on reactivity and multiple resolutions. Were there any really outstanding moments where you were impressed with how differently things could go, depending on your choices?

phimseto
Developer

Re: Reactivity You Liked [Spoilers OK!]

Post by phimseto » January 25th, 2018, 10:49 am

As minor as this is, the first thing that I did at the start of the game was go talk with (and ended up recruiting) Angela Deth, who ended up becoming a kind of security blanket for my low-level party early on. Having her around definitely shaped my view of events, and I was impressed when I discovered later on that she was easy to miss or you could elect not to take her along.

I also (SPOILERS FOR ENDING) appreciated inXile's commitment that two characters I brought with me - Lexcanium and the doctor with the robotic arm - got COCHISE'ED and turned on me in the final battle. I felt bad about having to kill them.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » April 8th, 2018, 5:39 pm

I really loved the intro, watched first on youtube and loved it! I found it epic, especially the closing scene with the epitaph (Ace, born a man, died a Desert Ranger).

One of the best moments in the game in my opinion is when you have to choose between Highpool and AG Center, and you keep hearing the other town desperate cries for help on the radio. It gave me the chills. I feel that it set immediately the atmosphere for the game: it's a cruel world and rangers are no gods. They do what they can, and it's going to take a lot of tears and blood to make the post-apocalyptic world a bit safer. That feeling was maintained through the game, they authors really told a story there. Well done, InXile!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 8th, 2018, 6:00 pm

phimseto wrote: ↑
January 25th, 2018, 10:49 am
As minor as this is, the first thing that I did at the start of the game was go talk with (and ended up recruiting) Angela Deth, who ended up becoming a kind of security blanket for my low-level party early on. Having her around definitely shaped my view of events, and I was impressed when I discovered later on that she was easy to miss or you could elect not to take her along.
It was the very same with me, when I played it. It didn't even occur to me that she could be missed.

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » April 13th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Despite the game's reactivity supposedly being the small things, to me the real reactivity was the big changes.
Having to choose between Ag Cent and Highpool was a dirty choice. But it wasn't all bad. I think that Ag can be reclaimed. It was a nice tough to hear all the scientists dying.
The Temple of Titan mission was a big one. That had a big bad end to avoid there.
I loved the death of Money Mad Mike. That was impressive. Went out like a champ.
While WL2 did have branching _dialogue_ choices, and changes resulting from that, it wasn't the same as the _game board_ choices and the bigger changes resulting from that. The steam tunnels clear-out in Highpool wasn't reactivity. There may have been more reactivity then I could pick up on with the Highpool Empty V brats, but I'd rather have them all locked up rather than deal with them. Choosing to ignore some piffling matter to bring up a clearly important topic in discussion is very different from say, destroying an entire city block in a running shootout with a Giant Slicerdicer. Any programmer can stress reactivity in discussion trees, but you have to be really inventive in dropping the ax over it- plus making sure that the two things are connected. You can't just have a ranger go "blah blah blah bullets" when talking to Pitbull and have robots burst through the wall. They'd have nothing to do with each other, so just the Pitbull shootout is fine. But having villains be able to back up their threats with solid dangers would be needed.
There was reactivity needed for Vax. I know I wanted to have him stay and guard the base. In LA.
I guess that Darwin Base was a matter of reactivity done right. It gave me at least the sense that this is where you players could all die from a locked, unexplodable door. Not to mention the monsters.
I think the church of Sampson had a lot of dialogue trees, but it always ended up the same way- everybody's out to kill you. They didn't even name-drop the 'Balls to the wall' song there, or in Red Scorp territory (reenacting the lyrics would have made a MUCH better scene to set then the people in cages shak garbage.)
And then there's Maitthias. A lot of dialogue, a lot of choices. But giving a lot of choices doesn't matter when the player is expecting the choice to be a set-up, a lie, or worse- something that you can agree with until the part when it's just wrong. I wanted to join Mattias, but didn't because I didn't want to do what he wanted me to do. If he had just focused on the building of a golden age, and less on the murder and betrayal! And during the showdown it would have been so much easier to just strap a dozen powerful electro-magnets to Chochise-him and leave him to fry. All of the super tech, none of the human-extermination. Same for Lex. Having him in the party was nice, and his skill set made a clear change in gameplay. There's only so many things that can make it into a game, but I often kept coming up with other methods to do things then the ones provided by the game.