How to rearrange party order?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Stargazer
Novice

How to rearrange party order?

Post by Stargazer » September 23rd, 2017, 1:37 am

I'd like to rearrange the party order so that (a) the scout is in front (b) leader somewhere in the centre (c) snipers at the rear... etc etc
But I can't figure out how do it.
Playing the Director's Cut version.
Any help pls?

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: How to rearrange party order?

Post by Zombra » September 23rd, 2017, 9:01 am

I don't believe you can :(

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 23rd, 2017, 12:42 pm

That's pretty bad for a party based game. Even Bard's Tale let you rearrange your party. In the Baldur's Gate games the PC order in the party was entirely optional, though the first PC was considered the party leader.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 23rd, 2017, 12:46 pm

Yeah, it's a shame. In my case it worked out OK because I remade my party a few times anyway, and by that time I figured out that establishing a "marching order" right at the start was a good idea.

Stargazer
Novice

Post by Stargazer » September 26th, 2017, 4:15 am

Ok, thx guys. Imo this feature should've been in the game.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » September 29th, 2017, 7:03 am

At one time you could rearrange your team by dragging their in game pic to the order you want, but that introduced bugs if you put one of the pick-up guys in the first slot. If you can handle editing the xml file, I think that you can re-arrange your team that way. Just make sure your 4 guys are first and any additions are after that. There is a <pcs> section that has all of the team members in their own <pc> section.
Re-order the <pc> sections to your liking.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Stargazer
Novice

Post by Stargazer » October 2nd, 2017, 12:40 am

Hmm. Might be worth a shot. Is there a tutorial or instructions somewhere I could refer to?

cpd315
Initiate

Post by cpd315 » November 22nd, 2017, 10:57 pm

Did this work? I’m a terrible guinea pig so I haven’t tried but would be nice to know first if it works.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » November 22nd, 2017, 11:50 pm

I use Sublime Text to edit my .xml save files, and cutting and pasting one <pc>lots of text</pc> section into a spot between two different </pc><pc> tags did indeed move 'Ranger 3' into the 'Ranger 2' spot. And indeed, for the Ranger 1 spot you'd want to paste your chosen Ranger PC section in between the <pcs><pc> tags, and for the last spot, in between the </pc></pcs> tags. Easy enough to find the start of a character section by searching for their name, but once I was highlighting a section for Ctrl-X I had to do a lot of scrolling through all the data. Leftover backspaces (I assume) in the character biographies are helpful to see the rough area where a character section starts.