New Player Questions

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

mentaltyranny
Initiate

New Player Questions

Post by mentaltyranny » December 17th, 2016, 1:28 am

First thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply to my questions. I am a power-roleplayer, as I like to optimize my party for roleplaying conversation and conflict resolution first, combat second. But please understand that I do like to optimize for combat, as long as doing so doesn't damage the story and make me need to be unnecessarily violent to succeed. I tried to research this through google, but with the DC and multiple patches, I am finding different answers. So any help is appreciated!

1. When recruiting NPCs to the party who have a charisma requirements, do other previously recruited NPCs' charisma count towards the squad total? In other words, if I want to recruit Scotchmo (Charisma 12+), can my squad of charisma 6/1/1/1 + Ashley Brygo (charisma 4) do it?

2. Do you have meet or beat the charisma requirement? Can my squad of charisma 6/1/1/1 + Takayuki (charisma 3) recruit Scotchmo?

3. I know that the Radiant Personality perk doubles charisma for the purposes of recruiting followers. Does that double the charisma of just the ranger who has it? All four rangers? NPC recruits?

4. I know that DC allows you to use the As* skills of anyone in squad no matter who started the conversation. However, I have found some posts take suggest that certain conversation options appear based on attributes, and not just As* skills, such as high Charisma, Intelligence, and Luck give new conversation options. These posts pre-date the DC version of the game, so maybe these options were moved to the appropriate As* skills. So which is it?

5. If certain conversation options do appear based on attributes, does the DC version use the highest attribute of anyone in squad no matter who started the conversation?

6. I was thinking about making a small mod for wasteland 2. I want to adjust the progression of the intelligence attribute to give a skill point at 4/6/10 instead of 4/8/10... but i have no idea where to begin. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

7. I am planning on having a team leader, techie, and a sniper. I am torn between having an SMG guy or melee blades. I would like to know what is better and if the game throws decent melee stuff at you. I don't want find a bunch of good melee stuff, have to sell it, and by mediocre equipment I can use.

8. What is the current state of heavy armor? Should I use it on a blades or SMG character?

9. What is the current state of energy weapons? Should I use it or handguns on my techie? He will be my medic/surgeon as well.

10. Anything else I appear to be missing?

11. Should the Affable, Intimidating, Know-it-All perks be taken late in the skills progression, just like how you use skill books late in skills progression?

Thanks again for your answers!
Last edited by mentaltyranny on December 17th, 2016, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drave
Initiate

Re: New Player Questions

Post by Drave » December 17th, 2016, 3:01 pm

1. Yes, add total squad charisma

2. Pretty sure just meet. Also don't worry about it too much, you should be able to find a few trinkets that give +1 charisma, and some consumables will also give you a boost.

3. Think it's just for that ranger, but not sure, never used it.

4. Don't think there are such conversation options.

7. It doesn't matter too much, do what you want, but I'd recommend blunt if you want to go melee. SMGs aren't too bad, but they eat up a ton of ammo making it pretty expensive early game, and they have poor armor pen for late game. On my run on supreme jerk I had a handgun user, then later in the game when I had extra points I invested in smgs on her as well. If you get enough AP to do an aimed shot with a pistol to reduce armor, then do a full smg burst they become fairly effective.

8. Heavy armor is ok, but the speed penalty really hurts melee characters, and they'll take a ton of damage from energy weapons. So you'll probably want to carry around back up light armor and switch it out on fights against energy wapons.

9. They're kinda shitty to be honest. Almost useless against nonconductive armor, and only marginally better against conductive and robots. Although you will get one pretty nice energy weapon. If you want you can just hold off, and spec into them later on when you gave extra points to spend.

mentaltyranny
Initiate

Post by mentaltyranny » December 17th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Thanks so much! I added a question 11 when you were replying, could you please take a look at this if you have the answer. Thanks!

Drave
Initiate

Post by Drave » December 17th, 2016, 7:59 pm

Yeah, no prob dude. To answer 11, you can take them any time, you don't need to hold off on them like you do with books.

Also, just to clear up my answer to number 9. I meant that energy weapons are only marginally better compared to other weapon types at taking out robotic enemies. Just on the off chance you may have been a bit confused, the way I worded that was fairly ambiguous.