Why were energy weapons nerfed so hard in DC?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Talien
Novice

Why were energy weapons nerfed so hard in DC?

Post by Talien » April 10th, 2016, 11:18 am

They weren't that great to begin with but instead of getting a needed boost with DC it's like they've been kicked while they were down, even the GRB is junk now. At least the way they worked in normal WL2 they were sorta useful since a few had 3 armor threshold and of course the GRB had 2, but now what are we supposed to do with them? Totally not even worth speccing into since even Pistols will outperform them in most cases since they can at least crit. EW have virtually no redeeming qualities in DC since ARs and Sniper Rifles still outperform them on even the toughest enemies.

If the damage penalty for nonconductive armor was removed and they just did their listed damage instead of having a penalty then they'd be worth using because they don't jam, moreso on low luck characters who almost never crit anyway. The thing that hurts them the most is many have otherwise good damage-AP ratio but end up doing less than half because conductive enemies are so ridiculously rare even in California.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Re: Why were energy weapons nerfed so hard in DC?

Post by Stuurminator » April 12th, 2016, 11:02 am

They're not much for killing, but I've found that energy weapons can be pretty useful as debuffers. They fire quickly, they don't take accuracy penalties at any range, and they can take both scope and underbarrel attachments, so they can hand out a lot of targeted attacks.

evaporate
Initiate

Post by evaporate » April 12th, 2016, 11:54 pm

^ Exactly this. I don't think energy weapons were ever intended to match ARs/SRs in damage output, but they're pretty good "utility sidearms that occasionally do insane damage". On higher difficulties, Precision Aim becomes more valuable than straight-up damage (unless everyone in your party is specced for damage, but that's just boring).

My main ranger is specced in EW. When the enemies are conducive, she becomes a damage dealer. When the enemies aren't, she debuffs them so that they do less damage to my party and so my AR/SR rangers can go to town on them. It's just a different playstyle. If all you want is a non-AR/SR build that does damage, try Brawling instead.

Talien
Novice

Post by Talien » April 13th, 2016, 5:43 am

evaporate wrote:^ Exactly this. I don't think energy weapons were ever intended to match ARs/SRs in damage output, but they're pretty good "utility sidearms that occasionally do insane damage". On higher difficulties, Precision Aim becomes more valuable than straight-up damage (unless everyone in your party is specced for damage, but that's just boring).

My main ranger is specced in EW. When the enemies are conducive, she becomes a damage dealer. When the enemies aren't, she debuffs them so that they do less damage to my party and so my AR/SR rangers can go to town on them. It's just a different playstyle. If all you want is a non-AR/SR build that does damage, try Brawling instead.
If they were described as low AP weapons for tactical use with aimed shots then that would fit, but they're described as weapons that do heavy damage to heavily armored enemies, or "conductive" enemies in DC. Problem is conductive enemies are few and far between until practically endgame (and even then there's more nonconductive than conductive) so they're of questionable use. Of course, there's also that if the same Ranger was specced into AR/SR they'd be killing a target and completely preventing it's damage instead of just debuffing it and lowering damage. That and I've found Pistols to be better at debuffing because the ammo is cheaper and you already know they're going to be doing lower damage, plus speccing into Pistols for the perks gets you the occasional no-AP free shots that make them even better at it.

Brawling is great fun and the perks for it are golden. Critpunching a Slicerdicer to death in one round? Priceless.