aimed shots - are effects completely random?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

madmaxthc
Acolyte

aimed shots - are effects completely random?

Post by madmaxthc » March 7th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Hi,

As the title says, I was wondering if status effects from aimed shots are completely random. As an example, if I aim for the enemy's armor, they can get scratched, damaged, or ruined armor. Is there an even probability, or do weapon damage and armor penetration have any weight?

Thanks,
Max

sear
Developer

Re: aimed shots - are effects completely random?

Post by sear » March 11th, 2016, 6:28 am

I made a similar post on reddit a few days ago when someone was asking for what affects Precision Strike hit chances (this might have even been your question):
sear wrote:I did a large amount of the design for the Precision Strike system. They are primarily affected by weapon skills, and the chances of hitting with them are a simple function of your base accuracy with a -% modifier depending on the shot type.

The simple answer is, get your weapon skills up and get better weapons which are more accurate. Towards the endgame you will have fairly high chances of landing Precision Strikes, especially once your base Chance to Hit goes into the 130%+ range.

Fun fact:

There is also a "hidden" modifier whereby the chances of inflicting more severe Precision Strike effects go up with higher skill levels. There are 3 "tiers" for each shot type effect, each with increasing severity. I forget the exact number, but I think this bonus is around +1% per skill level to tier 2 and 3 status effects.

So, for example, if my Assault Rifle skill is level 10, and I get a headshot with an AR weapon, the enemy is more likely to get the Confused status effect and attack their allies, than if my AR skill was level 3.
Fake Edit: I pulled these details from the design doc for Precision Strikes, since this is the most detailed documentation available:
When the player uses a Precision Strike and successfully hits a target, a Status Effect will always be applied. However, the exact Status Effect will change depending on a random roll between 1 and 100. Status Effects that are possible are arranged into Tiers, with Tier 1 being the easiest to achieve, and Tiers 2 and 3 being similar-but-better versions of the same Status Effects. Each body part the player can aim for has its own 3 Tiers.

The reliability and effectiveness of Precision Strikes is also influenced by the Weapon Skill of the equipped weapon. For each skill level, Weapon Skills will:
  • Increase the chance of rolling a Tier 2 or Tier 3 Status Effect by +0.5%, and decrease chance of rolling a Tier 1 Status Effect by an equivalent -0.5%.
  • Increase Chance to Hit cap by +1% when doing a Precision Strike, up to a maximum of +10% at Weapon Skill 10.
So, looks like I was a bit off numbers-wise, unless we changed the effects at some point without updating the doc (which is very possible).

The base Tier 1, 2 and 3 chances aren't listed in the doc; these were tuned quite a few times during developed, but I want to say it's roughly something like:
  • Tier 1: 70% chance
  • Tier 2: 20% chance
  • Tier 3: 10% chance
I'd have to look at the scripts to get more details, but right now that will mean a 12+ hour import process for the WL2 project.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » March 12th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Thank you, Sear,

I thought I noticed an increase of Tier 3 effects coming up later in the game, but I wasn't sure what factors were involved, or if it was just random chance. I don't know Reddit, so I wasn't aware this had already been discussed. Your answer is very clear and complete. I'm loving Wasteland 2 DC!

Best,
Max

morrism
Initiate

Post by morrism » March 17th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Being a newbie I am not very much familiar on this kind of gameplay and I am on my way to give a try on this to see how well it goes.