How do Dialogue Skill Perks Work?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

AlphaMagnum
Initiate

How do Dialogue Skill Perks Work?

Post by AlphaMagnum » February 5th, 2016, 7:53 am

The Affable, Intimidating, Know-It-All Perks add +2 to each of their respective dialogue skills. How do they affect skill point expenditure?

E.g. If I take Affable with 1 point in Kiss-Ass, does it take me to 3, at which point I'm paying 4 points per rank? Or do I still put in 2 skill points per rank as usual for the next 2 ranks?

In other words, should I wait until Rank 8 to take these perks, or can I take them whenever and not incur any "penalty?"

EDIT -- A simple save/load test answered my question. There is no "penalty." You spend skill points as normal without being punished for taking these perks early. They offer convenient choices to boost my Delayed Gratification 4 Int Leader early on, when I don't have the skill points to manually increase her conversation skills.

Iiago
Acolyte

Re: How do Dialogue Skill Perks Work?

Post by Iiago » February 9th, 2016, 2:24 am

Huh. I assumed that there was a penalty - should have tested.

SnakePot
Novice

Re: How do Dialogue Skill Perks Work?

Post by SnakePot » February 10th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Iiago wrote:Huh. I assumed that there was a penalty - should have tested.
InXile got it right, just like Obsidian with POE.
"In other words, just 'cause there is potential to play munchkin mode doesn't mean that you have to. ;) And we always think a game is more fun when there are a few things that are more or less powerful [...]" - sear