Locations of Lore Books in DC?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

newvegas46112
Initiate

Locations of Lore Books in DC?

Post by newvegas46112 » October 28th, 2015, 5:59 pm

I've been following the steam guide for the achievement, but there is some that are missing or relocated. Questionable books are:
The Mannerite books
The Farmer Diaries
The history of John Henry
The one found near the end game

Can anyone provide locations? Thanks. This game is horrendously buggy and I want to finish up before Fallout comes out.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Locations of Lore Books in DC?

Post by SagaDC » October 28th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Not sure about the others off the top of my head, but I do know that one of the "History of John Henry" lorebooks was moved to a bookshelf in the Engineer's private train car. That's the train car that's right next to the supposedly "haunted" train car.

newvegas46112
Initiate

Post by newvegas46112 » October 28th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Thank you! I did a sweep of Ag center and the history books there have moved to different shelves/desks. I don't know why they decided to move every book from their original spots, or remove them entirely to make the achievement borderline impossible (Mannerite books I think are removed)

arcana75
Novice

Post by arcana75 » October 28th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Could we also get a confirmation on how this achievement works? Do we have to find *every* book that counts, or to find a certain number of them?

I know a few people playing on PS4 who've found 35 in Arizona, and 11 in Los Angeles. The 35 books in AZ, titles are accurate, locations have moved abit, same for LA books. The Manners book appears to be removed? How many books are in Seal Beach (1 or 2?) and is the Stoll's Journal book found from a random encounter something that can be missed if someone with 10 Outdoorsman skill chooses to evade combat when the encounter appears, or does that encounter keep coming up but by random chance until completed, or does it only happen based on another set of criteria?

teshia
Initiate

Post by teshia » October 28th, 2015, 7:40 pm

You need to find 45 books and there are more than 45 books but not much more. You really want to shoot for every one and you certainly want to get all of the Arizona books before you leave Arizona, as you can't go back to get more if you miss one.

There are 35 in Arizona IF you choose the Ag Center over Highpool. There are 12 books in Los Angeles. If you choose to help Highpool, there are fewer books. If you're going for the achievement, you really want to choose Ag Center over Highpool, as there are 2 books in Highpool (unavailable if you choose Ag Center) and 6 books in Ag Center, although some of those Ag Center books might be reachable if you did Highpool first. I'm not sure. I always choose Ag Center.

There are two books at Seal Beach. One right when you get there and another deep in the complex after you fight Dugan.

Not sure if you can get the "Mannerites on the rooftops" encounter if you have 10 Outdoorsman. Mine was at 7 and I walked back and forth between Angel Oracle and Hollywood about 4 times before the encounter showed up.

teshia
Initiate

Post by teshia » October 28th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Also, all of the Ag Center books are still there. Keep in mind you will need a Perception of 4 to see at least 1 and maybe 2. One of those is definitely the Garden Journal. Another may be History of the Ag Center Part 4.

newvegas46112
Initiate

Post by newvegas46112 » October 28th, 2015, 8:28 pm

I just loaded up a old save and got 35 from AZ. My question is for the one book you give to the museum, do you still have to keep it in your inventory or can you read it and donate it to the citadel? It looks like I donated it but I know I read it first.

teshia
Initiate

Post by teshia » October 28th, 2015, 8:59 pm

I think that one is the Double Six Tragedy Report. If you read the book before turning it in to the museum, it counts. If you turn it in to the museum without reading it, you can't get it back and lose out on that book counting.

arcana75
Novice

Post by arcana75 » October 28th, 2015, 11:32 pm

teshia wrote:You need to find 45 books and there are more than 45 books but not much more. You really want to shoot for every one and you certainly want to get all of the Arizona books before you leave Arizona, as you can't go back to get more if you miss one.

There are 35 in Arizona IF you choose the Ag Center over Highpool. There are 12 books in Los Angeles. If you choose to help Highpool, there are fewer books. If you're going for the achievement, you really want to choose Ag Center over Highpool, as there are 2 books in Highpool (unavailable if you choose Ag Center) and 6 books in Ag Center, although some of those Ag Center books might be reachable if you did Highpool first. I'm not sure. I always choose Ag Center.

There are two books at Seal Beach. One right when you get there and another deep in the complex after you fight Dugan.

Not sure if you can get the "Mannerites on the rooftops" encounter if you have 10 Outdoorsman. Mine was at 7 and I walked back and forth between Angel Oracle and Hollywood about 4 times before the encounter showed up.
Hi, so u are certain that in the DC version u just need 45 books (Ag Centre path)? From another forum, we realised that the earlier non-DC version had books moved about for DC, and in 1 case, the book was completely removed (etiquette), then compiled the available info that there are 35 books in AZ and 12 in LA. If the achievement is truly a count (45) and not a get-them-all, then the margin of error is 2.

NewTyrant
Initiate

Post by NewTyrant » October 29th, 2015, 5:09 am

I got the achievement yesterday and it is a count to 45. Though I'm starting to suspect that there are only 45 lore books left in the game and the rest got removed. I could be wrong but I wouldn't have known where to find any more lore books.

I couldn't find the two books in Angel Oracle and I could only find one book in Seal Beach, "Your Golden Future", at the entrance area. I can also confirm the "Double Six Tragedy Report" does count if you read it and then give it away. For the "Mannerites on Rooftops" encounter Outdoorsman skill level doesn't matter, just travel between Angel Oracle and Hollywood until you see that description. For this encounter it doesn't matter if you sided against the Mannerites in Angel Oracle or not.

teshia
Initiate

Post by teshia » October 29th, 2015, 5:45 pm

arcana75 wrote:...are certain that in the DC version u just need 45 books (Ag Centre path)?
No, I'm not. Right now I'm playing through DC and have about 25 books from Arizona so far but I have a lot to cover still. The books are moved around all over the place though. I just went through Prison and almost none of the books are in the same place from vanilla and I could not find Farmer Diary 5, even with a Perception of 6, which is fairly high for that point in the game. I'm wondering if they moved it into the area where Danforth is. I should probably start writing down where I find stuff, because I think the locations have changed a lot.

arcana75
Novice

Post by arcana75 » October 29th, 2015, 9:08 pm

I can confirm the achievement requires 46 books, regardless of the books read. I picked up 34/35 books in AZ and 12/12 in LA, and I got the achievement/trophy (trophy in my case). Others got 35/35 and 11/12 and they got theirs too.

So assuming the total available books in DC is 47, the requirement is to read 46/47 books. I am certain it's not because 1 book of the 47 actually didn't count, because in my case I read 34/35 books and that 1 missing book is part 1 of 3 of the mad monk books.

The last 2 books I picked up were in Seal Beach (Your Golden Future, near the water tank, in a box behind mines), and New Citadel (northwest corner, in a locker against the wall) which was the Gospel of Matthias. Opening this book got me my trophy.

The 12 LA books are:

(Rodia) A Brief History of the Watts Tower: Bookshelf in Mayor's office
(Mysterious Shrine (SW-most)) Blood-stained journal: on a corpse next to the submarine. Need the improved rad suits or is instant death.
(Santa Fe/Bastion) The Story of Samson Parts 1-4: Recruitable Brother Thomas later on, or in Bastion.
(Hollywood) Welcome to Hollywood!: on the road just as u enter the city.
(Hollywood) The Ten Commandments of James King: Cemetary. near the tent
(Los Feliz) The Griffith Observatory: A History: Bookshelf in Laban's Rest
(Seal Beach) Your Golden Future: Near the water tank inside a crate behind mines.
(Seal Beach - New Citadel) The Gospel According to Matthias: northwest corner, in a locker by the wall
(Wasteland) Stoll's Journal: Loot from random encounter, stating that it's Mannerites on the rooftops. 0% escape with 8 Outdoorsman, 50% escape with 10. Walk back and forth between Angel Oracle and Hollywood. Doesn't matter who you side in Angel/Hollywood.

newvegas46112
Initiate

Post by newvegas46112 » October 30th, 2015, 4:59 am

Thanks^ The Farmer Diaries 5 is in the prison, prison HQ on the map, and is in aa safe locked by computer skill check.

arcana75
Novice

Post by arcana75 » October 30th, 2015, 9:17 am

This might help, 35 books in AZ. If there are errors my apologies but most are correct/updated:

(Ranger Citadel) Intelligence report Part 1: Shelf near Cartographer Thrasher
(Ranger Citadel) Intelligence report Part 2: Shelf in Museum
(Ranger Citadel) Memories of My Time in the Rangers Part 1/2: Shelf in Vargas's Office
(Ranger Citadel) Memories of My Time in the Rangers Part 3: Shelf in Museum
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 1/2/5: Shelf in Museum
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 3/6: Shelf near Cartographer Thrasher
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 4: Erik Tidemann, after you give him pain-killers
(Ag Center - Central Complex) Lab Journal: Rose's Desk
(Ag Center - Basement) History of the Ag Center Part 3: Pickup
(Ag Center - East Field) History of the Ag Center Part 4: Safe in East Field behind heavy growth, building near entrance
(Ag Center - Lab Area) History of the Ag Center Part 1: Matt Forrestal's safe
(Ag Center - West Field) Garden journal: Mound in north west; Perception 4 required
(Ag Center - West Field) History of the Ag Center Part 2: Pickup
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 1: In Meeting Hall, left wall bookshelf
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 2: Inside Casey's (or Chisel's?) house
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 3: In a boxcar next to the haunted boxcar
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 1/2: Dead body near entrance; book 2 is on cliff above book 1
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 3: Crate near Red
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 4: Auwerter Farm
(Titan Canyon) Anger Management for Angry Managers: Loot drop from police camp
(Titan Canyon) Your Friend The Great Glow: Mound in camp with Tom's dead wife
(Temple of Titan) The Servants of Titan Part 1/2/3: In a room with many monks guarding an entrance to the underground
(Temple of Titan - post-Silo 7) The Flame Deluge Canticle: Toaster near Titan Temple western exit, after you resolved the nuke issue.
(Damonta) Blood-stained journal: corpse just north of the turret
(Damonta) The History of the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base: corpse in the western part of Damonta
(Damonta) KPOW playlist for Monday July 21st: Werewolf Wally's
(Silo 7/Damonta) Double Six tragedy report: Sierra Madre plane in Silo 7; requires NPC Baychowski found in Damonta to be with your party or 6-7 Perception.
(Prison) Farmer's diary Part 5: Back wall of Prison area. U can't access this area until you find the missing tank tread in Damonta and use it to fix the robot, or return later to deal with Danforth's poisoned dogs

teshia
Initiate

Post by teshia » October 30th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Fantastic update. One small change I can make to the Arizona books:

(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 2: Inside Engineer's House on a bookshelf (aka. the boxcar next to the haunted boxcar)
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 3: Inside Casey James' Yurt on a bookshelf

Also, for me, "Anger Management for Angry Managers" dropped at a fight near "Cactus Henge" in the Prison area. This could mean it's dropping from multiple random encounters if you got it from the police camp in Titan Canyon. Somebody else was saying they got it at cactus henge as well and had two copies drop.

arcana75
Novice

Post by arcana75 » November 3rd, 2015, 2:50 am

All the books:

35 Arizona books
(Ranger Citadel) Intelligence report Part 1: Shelf near Cartographer Thrasher
(Ranger Citadel) Intelligence report Part 2: Shelf in Museum
(Ranger Citadel) Memories of My Time in the Rangers Part 1/2: Shelf in Vargas's Office
(Ranger Citadel) Memories of My Time in the Rangers Part 3: Shelf in Museum
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 1/2/5: Shelf in Museum
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 3/6: Shelf near Cartographer Thrasher
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 4: Erik Tidemann, after you give him pain-killers
(Ag Center - Central Complex) Lab Journal: Rose's Desk
(Ag Center - Basement) History of the Ag Center Part 3: Pickup
(Ag Center - East Field) History of the Ag Center Part 4: Safe in East Field behind heavy growth, building near entrance
(Ag Center - Lab Area) History of the Ag Center Part 1: Matt Forrestal's safe
(Ag Center - West Field) Garden journal: Mound in north west; Perception 4 required
(Ag Center - West Field) History of the Ag Center Part 2: Pickup
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 1: In Meeting Hall, left wall bookshelf
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 2: Inside Casey's house
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 3: In a boxcar next to the haunted boxcar
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 1: Dead body near entrance, against cliff with graffiti that says "CHROM"
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 2: Locked chest near Brown's pig farm
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 3: Dresser next to Anna who wants to die
(Prison) Anger Management for Angry Managers: RSM heavy gunner at checkpoint near Cactus-henge
(Prison) Farmer's diary Part 4: Chest in Auwaerter Farm near red kennel
(Titan Canyon) your Friend The Great Glow: Mound in camp with Tom's dead wife
(Temple of Titan) The Servants of Titan Part 1/2/3: In a room with many monks guarding an entrance to the underground
(Damonta) Blood-stained journal: corpse just north of the turret
(Damonta) The History of the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base: corpse in the western part of Damonta
(Damonta) KPOW playlist for Monday July 21st: Werewolf Wally's
(Silo 7) Double Six tragedy report: Sierra Madre plane in Silo 7; requires NPC Baychowski found in Damonta to be with your party or Perception 7.
(Temple of Titan - post-Silo 7) The Flame Deluge Canticle: Toaster near Titan Temple western exit, after you resolved the nuke issue. Need Toaster Repair 6 or 7
(Prison - after leaving the area once) Farmer's diary Part 5: Back wall of Prison area. You can't access this area until you find the missing tank tread in Damonta and use it to fix the robot, or return later to deal with Danforth's poisoned dogs

12 Los Angeles books
(Mysterious Shrine (SW-most)) Blood-stained journal: on a corpse. Need the improved +6 rad suits or is instant death.
(Santa Fe/Bastion) The Story of Samson Parts 1-4: Recruitable Brother Thomas later on, or in Bastion.
(Hollywood) Welcome to Hollywood!: on the road just as you enter the city.
(Hollywood) The Ten Commandments of James King: Cemetary. near the tent
(Los Feliz) The Griffith Observatory: A History: Bookshelf in Laban's Rest
(Seal Beach) your Golden Future: South west of the Water Source inside a crate.
(Seal Beach - New Citadel) The Gospel According to Matthias: northwest corner, in a locker by the wall
(Wasteland) Stoll's Journal: Loot from random encounter, stating that it's Mannerites on the rooftops. With 8 Outdoorsman it's 25% escape chance, 10 Outdoorsman 50%. Walk between Hollywood and Angel Oracle to trigger this

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 2nd, 2015, 2:24 am

Man, I am having an impossible time turning up History of Ag Center part 3. According to arcana75 this is a "Pickup" ... meaning what? Was I supposed to find it on a corpse or something? Or is it just lying on the floor somewhere?

arcana75
Novice

Post by arcana75 » December 2nd, 2015, 4:20 am

Zombra wrote:Man, I am having an impossible time turning up History of Ag Center part 3. According to arcana75 this is a "Pickup" ... meaning what? Was I supposed to find it on a corpse or something? Or is it just lying on the floor somewhere?
Hi I've since gone and did a re-check on all the book locations... the below is the updated and confirmed list.

35 Arizona books
Note that saving either Ag Centre or Highpool gets you 2 extra books. You lose these 2 books if you save neither. Saving Highpool still allows you to get the 4 Ag Centre books. Hence saving either one still gives you 6 books total, however saving Highpool prevents access to the monkey suit.
(Ranger Citadel) Intelligence report Part 1: Shelf near Cartographer Thrasher.
(Ranger Citadel) Intelligence report Part 2: Shelf in Museum.
(Ranger Citadel) Memories of My Time in the Rangers Part 1/2: Shelf in Vargas's Office.
(Ranger Citadel) Memories of My Time in the Rangers Part 3: Shelf in Museum.
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 1/2/5: Shelf in Museum.
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 3/6: Shelf near Cartographer Thrasher.
(Ranger Citadel) The History of the Desert Rangers Part 4: Erik Tidemann, after you give him 10 pain-killers.
(Ag Center - Central Complex) Lab Journal: Rose's Desk (only if you saved Ag Centre).
(Ag Center - Mushroom Caves) History of the Ag Center Part 2: Shelf where Skinner is hiding.
(Ag Center - East Field) History of the Ag Center Part 3: Shelf in House with trapped researcher.
(Ag Center - East Field) History of the Ag Center Part 4: Shelf in south Storehouse behind brambles.
(Ag Center - West Field) Garden journal: Mound in Garden (only if you saved Ag Centre); Perception 4 required.
(Ag Center - Central Complex) History of the Ag Center Part 1: Shelf in Matt Forrestal's office.
(Highpool) Ballad of Bobby & Rex: Shelf in Jesse-Bell's house (only if you saved Highpool).
(Highpool) Legend of the Red Ryder: Shelf in Townhall (only if you saved Highpool).
(Ag Centre - Central Complex) History of the Ag Center Part 1-4: On Larsen (only if you saved Highpool).
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 1: In Meeting Hall, left wall bookshelf.
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 2: In a boxcar between the haunted boxcar and Quarex the arcade guy. Boxcar has a red toy train on its roof, and Engineer's Note inside.
(Rail Nomads) The Story of John Henry Part 3: Bookshelf inside Casey's house.
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 1: Dead body near entrance, against cliff with graffiti that says "CHROM".
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 2: Locked chest near Brown's pig farm.
(Prison Valley) Farmer's diary Part 3: Dresser next to Anna who wants to die.
(Prison) Anger Management for Angry Managers: RSM heavy gunner at checkpoint near Cactus-henge.
(Prison) Farmer's diary Part 4: Chest in Auwaerter Farm near red kennel
(Titan Canyon) Your Friend The Great Glow: Box in Overrun Camp with Tom's dead wife & honey badgers.
(Temple of Titan) The Servants of Titan Part 1/2/3: 3 shelves near Brother Nero.
(Damonta) Blood-Stained Journal: Corpse north of the turret that's next to the western cornfield; follow the pipe North-West.
(Damonta) The History of the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base: Corpse next to a stack of barrels between Red Baychowski & the Motel.
(Damonta) KPOW playlist for Monday July 21st: Werewolf Wally's.
(Silo 7) Double Six tragedy report: Sierra Madre plane in Silo 7; requires NPC Baychowski found in Damonta to be with your party or Perception 7.
(Temple of Titan - post-Silo 7) The Flame Deluge Canticle: Toaster near Titan Temple western exit, after you resolved the nuke issue. Need Toaster Repair 6 or 7.
(Prison - After leaving the area once) Farmer's diary Part 5: Back wall of Prison area. You can't access this area until you find the missing tank tread in Damonta and use it to fix the robot or return later to deal with Danforth's poisoned dogs.

12 Los Angeles books
(Santa Fe/Bastion) The Story of Samson Parts 1-4: Recruitable Brother Thomas later on (after finishing Angel Oracle - thanks archnero), or in Bastion's bookshelves.
(Hollywood) Welcome to Hollywood!: On the road just as you enter the city.
(Hollywood) The Ten Commandments of James King: Cemetery, near the tent.
(Los Feliz) The Griffith Observatory: A History: Bookshelf in Laban's Rest.
(Wasteland) Stoll's Journal: Loot from random encounter, stating that it's Mannerites on the rooftops. With 8 Outdoorsman it's 25% escape chance, 10 Outdoorsman 50%. Walk between Hollywood and Angel Oracle to trigger this encounter.
(Mysterious Shrine (SW-most)) Blood-Stained Journal: On a corpse. Need the improved +6 rad suits or is instant death.
(Seal Beach) Your Golden Future: Near the Water Source, inside a crate behind some mines. If you got 35 books from Arizona, the trophy should pop once you read this 46th book.
(Seal Beach - New Citadel) The Gospel According to Matthias: Southwest section, in a locker by the wall.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 2nd, 2015, 9:30 am

Nice work, will try again to find that sucker :)

Mercer Skye
Initiate

Post by Mercer Skye » June 25th, 2019, 12:58 am

Sorry for the necro, but going through a current playthrough, I decided to defile Ace's grave. There's a letter in there that counts towards the achievement.

Highly advised to do this after Angela gets called back to lead Team Foxtrot, or to not have her in party at all (Supposedly, if you don't take her at all, you can get a conversation option showing her the 'black list' from Darwin, though I've yet to get this one to work)