So is Gary cut from the game? (PS4)

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

TheBlueAngel
Initiate

So is Gary cut from the game? (PS4)

Post by TheBlueAngel » October 19th, 2015, 5:09 pm

I can't find him in Titan Valley. I sided with the Diamondback Militia. Where is Gary?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: So is Gary cut from the game? (PS4)

Post by SagaDC » October 19th, 2015, 5:10 pm

He seems to be gone. He was the only follower who wasn't updated properly from the beta to the release version of the game, and now he seems to have been cut entirely for the DC version of the game.

It could just be an oversight, like he was cut by accident, but it would be nice to get official word from one of the devs.

TheBlueAngel
Initiate

Post by TheBlueAngel » October 19th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Too bad. Any good followers to take the same role Angela had?

Wastebot
Acolyte

Post by Wastebot » October 19th, 2015, 6:21 pm

No one is a carbon copy so it depends on what that role was to you. I have a hunch you're looking for a crack gunamn though since thats the only thing Gary was even mediocre at.

Need a crack shot and great scout? Vultures cry fits the bill and can easily be specced out of snipers and into ARs even, at 3 ranks she's only invested 6 sp into snipers, and it's possible that that first sniper perk functions with any sort of weapon including ARs so even those 3 points aren't a total wash.

Need a mean talking hard ass that can back up what they say with brute force and crack some skulls with a blunt object? Chisel fits the bill. He's the best melee character, with some smart gameplay he can be recruited very early, and his two utilities overlaps very nicely with two of Angies.

Need a versatile character that can contribute in combat and also has decent and varied skils? Pizepi is the best fit, but trades AR's for energy weapons, which is very strictly a downgrade so you *need* to give her a sidearm like Angie had. While angie could pretty much neglect hers though(or train it up for charge), pizepis "sidearm" will very likely wind up more reliable than her initial primary weapon. Smg's, AR's, bladed weapons, or pistols would all make decent complimentary weapon choices, with AR's obviously being the best by default but if you have a lot in your group it might be worth passing.

Ralphie can function as a "poor mans" Pizepi. His stats are pretty poor at first but with some work he's a really solid character around 30+, and has the very distinct advantage of being a great toaster repair b**** and a blank slate aside from that, so you can sculpt his skills however best benefits your team. And while he isn't the best in combat let's be real- almost all npcs are a hot mess in combat. At least Ralphie has skill allocation on his side, being able to recruit him at level 1-2 doesn't hurt either.

Angela is one of the best built npcs in the game, no one is going to just replace her right out of the box. A lot of people have very rigid thinking about their recruits and only using the weapon skills they start with. break free from this and amend yourself to some minor retraining and some of the npcs are actually quite good at things that aren't on their starting skill list.

TheBlueAngel
Initiate

Post by TheBlueAngel » October 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Too bad. I miss Angela. Can't believe they took those people out of the game.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 19th, 2015, 7:15 pm

From our bug tracker (our QA team reported this too):

"This is working correctly. Gary Wolf only appears if Sadler's quests were rejected ("Not Looking" keyword) or Sadler is killed after being met ("Death" keyword), and the nuke is eventually sent to the depot."

Are you sure you guys are doing this?

NovaRain
Scholar

Post by NovaRain » October 19th, 2015, 7:40 pm

sear wrote:From our bug tracker (our QA team reported this too):
"This is working correctly. Gary Wolf only appears if Sadler's quests were rejected ("Not Looking" keyword) or Sadler is killed after being met ("Death" keyword), and the nuke is eventually sent to the depot."
Are you sure you guys are doing this?
Does that mean if I'm just totally pro-DBM, I can't recruit Gary Wolfe in WL2 DC since he won't appear?
That doesn't seem right IMO. At least it's not the case in the classic version. I thought I'd get a NPC recruit no matter how the outcome of Titan Valley is. Why's the change? D:
Last edited by NovaRain on October 19th, 2015, 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 19th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Interesting. I left the Titan Quest unfinished so I could go run around Damonta. I'll have to go murder Sadler when I get back to Titan Valley, so I can see if Gary shows up.

TheBlueAngel
Initiate

Post by TheBlueAngel » October 20th, 2015, 9:48 am

So I already handed the nuke to the DBM. Sadler is still in the valley. If I kill him now can I get Gary to show up? I also have a Save from right before I went to Silo 7 where I didn't make a choice there. Do I have to start from there?

Animy
Initiate

Post by Animy » October 20th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Hello I'm here for Gary.

I have 25 charisma

I kill Sadler with 3 ways:

- I report Sadler to the monks
- I kill him solo
- I kill him after kill the monks

And with the 3 ways i send the nuke in silo 8.

And in the first way: Dan Q pop
the second way Dan q pop and the third way Coran pop.

What did I'm wrong ?

(Sorry for my english I'm french).

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 20th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Yeah, it might already be too late for me to get Gary to show up in my game, because I already told Sadler that I was looking for work (ie, I already accepted his job offer). I'm circling back to finish off Titan Valley now, and I'm going to cruise through and kill absolutely everyone (monks and DBM alike) to see if I can trigger Gary. I suspect that I'll end up getting the Chaos ending instead, though.

Animy
Initiate

Post by Animy » October 20th, 2015, 3:56 pm

I think to take gary we need to don't pick the DBM quest in the start of the titan canyon.

Ray
Scholar

Post by Ray » October 20th, 2015, 5:03 pm

In the original game, I remember killing all monks starting in the underground area from the nuke room on, and let the DBM take over. Then I disarmed the nuke in Silo 7 and returned to find Gary. If you kill both groups before going to the Silo 7, you most likely trigger the chaos route with Dan Q, but I hadn't really tested all possibilities yet. You can savely accept the DBM quest before deciding later what to do with the Monks. The decision will be set when going for the Silo 7 which group is still in the camp alive. Any combat with a group obviously messes it up with it.

These paths normally guide you to the following RPCs:
1. Helping Monks and sending nuke from Silo 7 gets you Dan Q.
2. Helping Monks but disarming nuke in Silo 7 gets you Corran.
3+4. Helping DBM and either sending or disarming the nuke gets you both Gary.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 20th, 2015, 5:20 pm

Ray wrote:These paths normally guide you to the following RPCs:
1. Helping Monks and sending nuke from Silo 7 gets you Dan Q.
2. Helping Monks but disarming nuke in Silo 7 gets you Corran.
3+4. Helping DBM and either sending or disarming the nuke gets you both Gary.
Unfortunately, this no longer appears to be in the case with the DC version of the game. While you can still recruit Dan Q and Corran Cain in the same way as before, Gary now has new recruitment requirements. If you side with the DBM normally, then he won't actually spawn. Apparently you need to send the missile to the DBM, but only after refusing to work with them or actively killing Commander Sadler, in order for Gary to show up after the quest is concluded.

Ray
Scholar

Post by Ray » October 20th, 2015, 6:09 pm

SagaDC wrote:Unfortunately, this no longer appears to be in the case with the DC version of the game. While you can still recruit Dan Q and Corran Cain in the same way as before, Gary now has new recruitment requirements. If you side with the DBM normally, then he won't actually spawn. Apparently you need to send the missile to the DBM, but only after refusing to work with them or actively killing Commander Sadler, in order for Gary to show up after the quest is concluded.
This sounds strange/buggy (like many DC features? :D). Well okay, I'm keeping this in mind later and do a lot of saves then. You can possibly avoid contact with Sadler until you accept the Monk's Silo 7 quest or check out the Monk's nuke.
The quest lines with RPC output of the original game were clearly enough designed in my opinon. I guess the "Director" has only produced too much confusion again that no player can really get smart of it. Let's see if a patch in the future will further reveal something not working right there; I wouldn't be surprised at least.

Mallaca51
Explorer

Post by Mallaca51 » October 21st, 2015, 11:35 pm

Im the only one who never gets an NPC regardless of what road I take :(.

Suffice to say they punish you for grinding both sides by giving you no one. sad face.

Max XP route- Accept DBM quest, accept Titaneers quest, scramble, kill titaneers, complete job for DBM, repair missle. no companion.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 22nd, 2015, 5:53 am

Mallaca51 wrote:Im the only one who never gets an NPC regardless of what road I take :(.

Suffice to say they punish you for grinding both sides by giving you no one. sad face.

Max XP route- Accept DBM quest, accept Titaneers quest, scramble, kill titaneers, complete job for DBM, repair missle. no companion.
If you end the quest pro-DBM, then you get no companion. In my case, I slaughtered the monks and then slaughtered the DBM as well, and I got a companion (Corran Cain). It triggers the "Chaos" ending, which is arguably the "best" ending for the Titan Valley quest (no one is left in charge of the valley, but the rangers back at the citadel imply that this means it will be easier to secure it later).

That does get you a warning from any judgemental NPCs in your party (since Sadler is non-hostile when you attack him).

Durango
Initiate

Post by Durango » October 23rd, 2015, 1:23 am

Aw shucks. After getting Coran Cain last time, I did the whole DBM questchain to get Gary Wolfe on this playthrough just to find out condition recruitement did change.

Quick question to the Wasteland 2 champ here : If I kill Sandler after the DBM take over of the temple, like when he talk to me to send us to the silo 7, will Wolfe appear after I send the nuke to depot ? Or do I have to get a superold save ?

Durango
Initiate

Post by Durango » October 23rd, 2015, 7:38 am

I double-post because I answered my own questions. So, to be clear :

1) Killing Sandler after the DBM takeover doesn't do sh*it for Gary Wolfe, it just trigger the Chaos Ending.

2) Gary Wolfe DOES appears when you tell Sanders you're not interested by a job (when first visiting the DBM secret base) but still send the nuke to their depot at the end.

3) Very interestingly, DBM is WAY more friendly this way. If you do all the quest chain, their turns out very rude, Sandler tells you to take your reward and get the f out his sight, DBM tells you you have nothing to do here and they ask you for a fee for leaving. Like make them winning the canyon isn't worth more than the toll. BUT, if you don't jam the computer in silo 8, if you skip the whole DBM questchain and just give her the nuke, Sandler will be friendlier, explaining you the event, telling you that he's grateful and that your reward is well deserved. Also, you get a pass and the DBM gatekeeper will let you go for free, saying something like "Ho, you're the one who brought us the nuke ? Cool, it's free for you".

4) Gary Wolfe spawn is still buggy as HELL. When I saw him, I saved like a gazillion time, quicksaving and saving normally, and I talked to him. I didn't had enough charisma because in the process of redoing the quest, I had forgot to equip charisma item and perk allowing you to double charisma when it comes to recruiting people. So I quickloaded by reflex and he was gone. I loaded a manual save, right after Sandlers congratulates me, went for Gary again aaaaaaand gone. Vanished. In every. single. save. made after getting back to temple. Buggy as hell. I had to load one right before I send the nuke to the DBM depot and get back to the temple once a gain and I finally was able to recruit him.

All in all, everything make little to no sense. Well, the bugs, obviously, but also the rest. Story-wise, it's kind of weird that the DBM is more grateful when you are a bit "rude" to them and just changing your mind at the end but quite rude if you follow every order. Condition of recruit of Wolfe are also the weirdest : If you side with monk and go full MAD, you get a recruit. If you betray everyone by going full rogue and full choas, you get a recruit. If you go full militia, you get... nobody. Nothing. Just a bunch of ungrateful bastards telling you to f*ck off. In order to recruit wolfe, you have to be very specific, finding the base BUT rejecting the quest BUT at the same time siding with the people you shrug off, in a final twist. Who is Gary Wolfe ? Some kind of secret easter-egg recruit you have to unlock ?

I have nothing against things being a bit crooked, a cRPG doesn't have to be straightforward and logical all the time. But here, damn, it's really hard to see the point of that.

NovaRain
Scholar

Post by NovaRain » October 23rd, 2015, 7:58 am

Did you kill any DBM members before meeting Sadler? I remember in old WL2 if you don't kill any DBM during the whole Titan quest line, Sadler is actually quite polite.