Zombra's Perk Pageant (with Optional Dissection and Suggestions)

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Zombra
Global Moderator

Zombra's Perk Pageant (with Optional Dissection and Suggestions)

Post by Zombra » October 15th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Perks!

There is talk that the Perks in the new Director's Cut of the game are going to get a pass. I've been thinking about them a lot, and I wanted to share my impressions of each and every one, in the hopes that the developers might take my (and your) thoughts into consideration.

NOTE that I've only played the Director's Cut of the game for a few hours. I don't have a handle on the new weapon balance, encounter design, or anything else. These impressions are just that, impressions ... but they're important! If I look at a Perk and it looks like it obviously sucks, something is wrong, even if it secretly is good. All Perks should be reasonably appealing at first glance, I think.

In that light, I intend to rate all the Perks on their "sexiness", i.e. how attractive they look from across the room, and briefly explain my reactions.

I encourage you to give your own ratings, and cruelly dissect the Perks from a less uninformed, arbitrary viewpoint than my own. Observations from a position of equal ignorance are also welcome. Lastly, feel free to suggest new Perks or alternatives to existing ones.

[EDIT January 2016]
PLEASE NOTE that these opinions are based on the Director's Cut build prior to the first major patch, which rebalanced Perks significantly.

UNSKILLED PERKS

Hardened / +1 Base Armor
Rating: Image Smoldering
Why: Less damage from every single attack?* Yes please.
*Assuming the enemy isn't using sufficiently armor-piercing weapons, which I guess are out there.

Healthy / +1 CON per character level
Rating: Image Attractive
Why: Hit points are good. +1 per level is pretty sad, though.

Hit the Deck! / -25% damage from Explosives
Rating: Image Plain, Dog Ugly
Why: First, I have to let myself get hit for this to work. Second, I have to let myself get hit with a rarely used attack type.

Hoarder / +20% Max Carry Weight
Rating: Image Sexy
Why: Anything that gives me more wiggle room with inventory management is a blessing.

Limber / Crouching and standing costs -1 AP
Why: I guess I crouch and stand a lot in combat, come to think of it. But it seems like there are other more glamorous Perks I should be taking instead.

Powder Packer / +10% chance of finding bonus Ammo when looting
Why: Well, more ammo is good, but A) +10% isn't much, and B) I don't feel like the game is going to screw me if I don't take this Perk. I think there will be enough to go around without it. Maybe scarcity is a bigger deal now than it was a year ago?

Tormentor / +10% damage to enemies in cover
Why: Enemies are in cover a lot, and I shoot them a lot. This bonus will add up big time over the course of the game. Of course, if I'm perfect I will be flanking and so on to negate cover entirely - if I'm shooting at guys in cover, I'm kind of doing it wrong.

Turtle / +10% evasion bonus in cover
Why: I'm in cover a lot unless I'm an idiot. Getting shot less is a good thing.

Weathered / -15% damage taken from Critical Hits
Rating: Image Homely
Why: Getting hit is inevitable, but I don't like planning to get hit, and I especially don't like planning to get critted - and when I do get critted, I don't feel like a 15% break is going to be much consolation.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Zombra's Perk Pageant (with Optional Dissection and Suggestions)

COMBAT SKILL PERKS

-----------------
Assault Rifle
Hollow Point / +1 Armor Penetration when using AR
Why: Extra damage on every single shot against armored targets? Yes please.

Melee Shooting / -35% close range penalty with AR
Why: Negating the only disadvantage of the best weapon type? Certainly. I should be killing stuff at range though.

Gunner / -5% Chance to Hit penalty on Burst Fire attacks
Why: Of course I'm burst firing a lot; that's why I'm using an AR. This basically means more accuracy all the time.

-----------------
Blades
Self Defense / +1 Armor at close range when wielding a blade
Why: Armor is always good. Very specific in its requirements, but still, seems great.

Glancing Strike / Gain Attacks of Opportunity as enemies move past in combat, dealing 50% normal damage with Blades
Why: Extra attacks, cool. Really though enemies running up to or past me isn't that common an occurrence.

Opportune Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal 75% normal damage with Blades
Why: Some more damage on my AoO, that's good I guess. Another Perk point on it though? OK, I can live with that. I wonder if there's something better I can spend this on.

Strategic Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal full damage with Blades
Why: Man, did I just spend three whole Perks on this? I'm at Rank 9 in Blades skill by now, it's late in the game, are there really lots of melee enemies still running up to me? I'm glad I'm doing full damage I guess, but sheesh. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe charging enemies are still a thing at the end, we'll see.

Samurai / +1 Armor Penetration with Blades
Why: More damage with every hit against armored targets. Yes please.

Adrenaline Rush / +2 AP when below 25% MAXCON
Why: Getting almost killed isn't part of the plan. <25% means I fucked up. I guess it will help me run away, or maybe heal myself. OK, I can see it.

-----------------
Blunt Weapons
Charge! / +0.5 Combat Speed bonus on first round of combat
Why: I don't play with my melee guys blindly charging across the field. I guess it would be good to get a guy in cover near the enemy. It only lasts one turn though. Also +0.5 doesn't sound like a lot. I don't know how Combat Speed works.

Glancing Strike / Gain Attacks of Opportunity as enemies move past in combat, dealing 50% normal damage with Blunt Weapons
Why: Extra attacks, cool. Really though enemies running up to or past me isn't that common an occurrence.

Opportune Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal 75% normal damage with Blunt Weapons
Why: Some more damage on my AoO, that's good I guess. Another Perk point on it though? OK, I can live with that. I wonder if there's something better I can spend this on.

Strategic Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal full damage with Blunt Weapons
Why: Man, did I just spend three whole Perks on this? I'm at Rank 9 in Blunt Weapons skill by now, it's late in the game, are there really lots of melee enemies still running up to me? I'm glad I'm doing full damage I guess, but sheesh. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe charging enemies are still a thing at the end, we'll see.

Shoulder the Load / -25% Combat Speed penalty when in Heavy Armor
Why: My bruiser is probably wearing the heaviest armor he can get, and negating any Speed penalty seems like a very good idea.

Slayer / +10% chance your Blunt attacks use no AP
Why: Extra attacks are cool! 10% isn't much but I'm sure I'll see it often enough to make me glad I got it!

-----------------
Brawling
Free-For-All / +10% chance to inflict random Precision Strike effects when Brawling
Why: I don't know much about Precision effects yet, but getting little status effects along with my hits sounds great. I wish it was more than 10%, but hey, I'll still buy it.

Glancing Strike / Gain Attacks of Opportunity as enemies move past in combat, dealing 50% normal damage with Brawling

Opportune Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal 75% normal damage with Brawling

Strategic Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal full damage with Brawling
Why: Man, did I just spend three whole Perks on this? I'm at Rank 9 in Brawling skill by now, it's late in the game, are there really lots of melee enemies still running up to me? I'm glad I'm doing full damage I guess, but sheesh. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe charging enemies are still a thing at the end, we'll see.

Rush 'N Attack / On the first turn of combat, your first Brawling attack costs no AP
Why: A free attack? Sounds great! Hmm, I HAVE to use it on the first turn, which means I have to charge blindly without regard for position AND get in range in one move. Not so great.

-----------------
Energy Weapons
Overcharge / +10% damage using EW against non-Conductive Armor
Why: My damage is total crap against non-Conductive enemies. 110% of crap is still crap.

Overload / +20% damage using EW against non-Conductive Armor
Why: We're almost to the point where I'm doing decent damage, but it cost two Perks to get here. Why am I not using an alternate weapon against soft targets?

Atomize / +30% damage using EW vs. non-Conductive Armor
Why: Three Perks later, damage has finally reached the lofty heights of 'mediocre'. I have a nagging feeling I could have done better.

Solar Powered / 15% chance your EW attacks use no ammo
Why: Cool! EW ammo is expensive. Even if I already have enough, I can sell the surplus or something.
Still, I feel sad that "ammo conservation" is the best Perk for my weapon category.

-----------------
Handguns
Zeroed / +2% stacking Critical Chance bonus when repeatedly attacking a specific target with Handguns
Why: That is a really, really tiny bonus. Most targets die in a few shots anyway, so it can't build up. Maybe against a Scorpitron or something that I'm fighting for a dozen turns.

Bandit / 2% chance attacks with Handguns or SMG will not use AP
Why: Miniscule proc chance means I can count on going through dozens of combats without seeing any effect.

Gunslinger / Free attack chance with Pistol and SMG increased to 4%
Why: Two Perks in and my return is still practically invisible.

Desperado / Free attack chance with Pistol and SMG increased to 6%
Why: Three Perks to the wind and I'm still seeing zero effect in almost every combat. How come Blunt Weapons got Slayer, which is twice as good for ONE Perk point and I'm stuck with this garbage?

-----------------
Heavy Weapons
Battering Fire / +1% per bullet chance of inflicting Precision Strike effects when using HW
Why: I have a better chance of my gun jamming and being worthless than I do of leveraging this Perk.

Overwhelming Fire / +3% per bullet chance of inflicting Precision Strike effects when using HW
Why: Getting better, but the cost is rising too.

Devastating Fire / +5% per bullet chance of inflicting Precision Strike effects when using HW
Why: Again, it took me 3 Perks to get here ... but with HW, 5% per bullet is actually a lot. I can expect to see a status effect maybe every fight. Now the question is, are these minor status effects worth it when I'm probably killing everything I shoot anyway?

Bullet-Ridden / -1 Armor on enemies when using HW on them
Why: Like the AR Perk, negating enemy Armor means more damage with every hit. Excellent.

-----------------
Shotguns
Careful Hunter / -25% Friendly Fire with Shotguns
Why: I'm a fucking asshole if I'm shooting at my friends just because there's a slight chance I might not hit them.

Precise Hunter / -50% chance of Friendly Fire when using Shotguns
Why: 50/50? I'm still being a dick. Am I really so desperate that I need to shoot a shotgun into melee?

Master Hunter / -75% chance of Friendly Fire with Shotguns
Why: Three Perks to get to the point where I can shoot at my friends and probably not hit them? Though I will still hit them with some regularity. Dude, let's face it, if I take these Perks I'm doing it wrong.

Obliterator / Attacking cover with Shotguns always completely destroys it
Why: Destroying enemy cover? With 100% effectiveness? Oh fuck yes please.

-----------------
Submachine Guns
Fast Reload / -1 AP to reload SMGs
Why: Cool, but aren't most fights over before my mag is empty anyway? Maybe later in the game I guess.

Whack-a-Mole / +10% chance to hit enemies in cover
Why: Smoking dudes out of cover? Cool ... but if I'm in range, I'm probably close enough to flank. Well, this will still probably come up a lot. OK, I'll take it.

-----------------
Sniper Rifles
Watchman / No Chance to Hit penalty when using Ambush
Why: There's an accuracy penalty when Ambushing? I didn't know that. Snipers missing is not an option and mine is in Ambush mode all the time. More accuracy please.

Focused Shooter / -15% Under Pressure penalty
Confident Shooter / -30% Under Pressure penalty
Zen Shooter / -45% Under Pressure penalty
Why: What, you think I made a sniper without a backup weapon? What kind of jerk do you take me for?

Deadeye / -1 AP when firing Sniper Rifles if you haven't moved during the turn
Why: Might be enough for an extra sniper shot, depending on the weapon and my stats. Let's go for it and find out!

Zombra
Global Moderator

KNOWLEDGE SKILL PERKS

-----------------
Alarm Disarm
Cyber Scrounger / Gain Energy Cells when using Computer Science or Alarm Disarm
Why: I feel like I will already be getting enough ammo through regular looting, so I don't really need this, but who am I to say no to more free loot?

Quick Reflexes / +25% chance to evade enemy ambushes
Why: That's a pretty low chance ... I wouldn't say, that guy's waiting to ambush me, oh well, I'll use my Reflexes to run out there and probably still get hit.

Ghost / No longer trigger ambushes
Why: Neat concept, but even at 100% I just don't see it coming up that often. Still, I might take it strictly for cool factor.

-----------------
Computer Science
Cyber Scrounger / Gain Energy Cells when using Computer Science or Alarm Disarm
Why: I feel like I will already be getting enough ammo through regular looting, so I don't really need this, but who am I to say no to more free loot?

Roboticist / +10% damage vs robots and synths
Why: Straight up more damage against a common enemy type? No requirements, conditions or weapon restrictions? What's not to love?

Overclocker / Hacked enemy robots automatically gain Overclocked buff
Why: I can give them the buff anyway just by using the skill again, and I don't actually know how good the buff is, maybe just +1 to hit? But still, clearly a good thing.

-----------------
Demolitions
Long Arm / +10% maximum range with Grenade type weapons
Why: A 10% difference? Will that even be noticeable to the naked eye? Make it +40% or something and we'll talk.

Improvised Explosives / +25% chance to recover a Grenade type weapon when disarming booby traps and mines
Rating: ImageImage Be Still My Foolish Heart
Why: Yeah, I'm glad to hear that this mother has been nerfed. WAY TOO GOOD. Explosives are supposed to be a rare "get out free" card, not an overflowing resource.

Bomberman / +15% larger AoE with Explosives
Why: Again, I get it, more radius is good on AOEs and 15% is more significant than you'd think, but it really seems like I'm not going to notice a difference. No glamour here.

-----------------
Field Medic
On the Mend / +10% effectiveness from healing items
Why: Straight up more hit points when healing, no restrictions; damn right that's worth a point.

Stimpaks / +2% CON healed per turn in combat
Why: Free hit points just for existing? Oh yes.
I almost knocked off a point for the Fallout reference, though :x

-----------------
Lockpicking
Master Thief / No Critical Failures with Lockpicking or Safecracking
Why: I can see why some save scummers wouldn't bother with this, but it means I don't have to save scum. Yes please.

-----------------
Mechanical Repair
Handyman / No Critical Failures with Mechanical Repair
Why: I can see why some save scummers wouldn't bother with this, but it means I don't have to save scum. Yes please.

Armor Maintenance / -20% damage suffered from EW
Why: Yeah! A nice "always on" defense against a common enemy attack type.

-----------------
Safecracking
Master Thief / No Critical Failures with Lockpicking or Safecracking

-----------------
Surgeon
Trained Physician / -25% post-revival status duration
Why: I don't really pay attention to these anyway except maybe the CON-draining ones. I guess it will be nice for them to disappear sooner, but this is an unglamorous Perk.

Smooth Operator / +20 CON healed when reviving party members
Why: If I'm reviving guys in combat, I want them to be able to stand up without being knocked right back down.

Expert Physician / -50% post-revival status duration
Why: Eh, do I want to spend two Perks on this? Eliminate the prereq and just let me take this one at a lower level.

-----------------
Toaster Repair
Junk Diver / Upon finding a junk item, 50% chance of finding another junk item
Why: Actually I hate all the clutter and junk items in the game, but this just strikes me as really funny. A Ranger with an eye for Junk!
"Hey, I bet we can sell that, too."

Toaster Expert / 50% chance to find bonus loot in toasters
Why: Hey, if I'm building up my Toaster skill this much anyway, I'm clearly invested in getting good loot out of them. I just hope the bonus loot isn't more junk items, that joke ended with the previous Perk.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 15th, 2015, 7:57 pm

GENERAL SKILL PERKS

-----------------
Animal Whisperer
Camel / -10% Water Consumption
Why: Water management's impact on the game is completely insubstantial.

Big Game Hunter / +10% damage vs. animals
Why: Cool! Bonus damage against a common enemy type.

-----------------
Barter
Pawner / +20% more Scrap from selling junk items
Why: If I'm ranking up Barter anyway, it means I want more money, and I already collect and sell tons of Junk. This will add up.

Loose Change / +10% chance of bonus Scrap when looting (party-wide)
Why: More money is good, but a rare proc instead of a straight up increase seems kind of bad. And how big is the bonus? I don't know, but I'm guessing it's not much.

-----------------
Brute Force
Applied Force / +5% chance to Stun enemies when using melee
Why: 5% isn't much - how often do you roll that 'natural 20'? - but a chance to stun is very cool.

Stunning Force / +7% chance to stun in melee
Why: A puny 2% boost to the existing Perk, pretty weak.

Staggering Force / +9% chance to stun enemies in melee
Why: Another 2% feels like an insult - would making them 5, 10, 15 break the game? - but getting up to 9% seems good. 3 Perks seems like a bit much though.

-----------------
Hard Ass
Intimidating / +1 Hard Ass
Why: Yeah! This will save me 8 skill points at the end game, assuming I want to go all the way.

Bloodthirsty / +1 Action Point when killing an enemy
Why: I don't know if I can really do a lot with 1 AP - I guess it depends on my loadout and other stats - but I'll definitely do something with it. And killing enemies is something that happens a lot, so this Perk will get a good workout.

-----------------
Kiss Ass
Affable / +1 Kiss Ass
Why: Yeah! This will save me 8 skill points at the end game, assuming I want to go all the way.

Silver-Tongued / +5% discount on all purchases
Why: Basically a couple free ranks in Barter? I'm not too worried about money, but this seems pretty good. Seems weird for this to be a Kiss Ass Perk and not ... a Barter Perk. But whatever.

-----------------
Leadership
Taunt / -3% Chance to Hit for enemies within Leaderhip range
Why: 3%, pretty damn sad. I'm sure this will make the difference between getting hit or not a few times during the game, but I'll never notice.

Enrage / -5% Chance to Hit for enemies in Leadership range
Why: Up to 5%, a "natural 1" situation. Worth 2 Perks? Eh, maybe.

Infuriate / -7% Chance to Hit for enemies within Leadership range
Why: If I got the first two, I might as well go all the way, 7% is significant.

-----------------
Outdoorsman
Scout / +25% Vision Range on world map
Why: Neat, this will help when I'm scouring the map.

Explorer / +50% Vision Range on World Map
Why: Ehh. I already paid a Perk for increased range, now I have to pay again to get the full effect?

World Traveler / All hidden caches and shrines revealed
Why: Not gonna lie, scouring the map is fun, but that feeling of seeing the whole world from a mountaintop is damn tasty.

-----------------
Perception
Tactical Positioning / +15% damage to enemies from behind or sometimes when flanking
Why: Not sure how often I can leverage this, but +15% is a nice bonus. Also it'll get me thinking more tactically, which will be fun.

Dowsing / +25% chance of bonus Scrap when digging holes (party-wide)
Why: That's a high enough proc chance to take the plunge. And it seems like there are several buried caches on every map. It will be neat to see the little bonus text fly.

-----------------
Smart Ass
Know-it-All / +1 Smart Ass

Radiant Personality / 2x Charisma effectiveness when recruiting
Why: CHA total isn't something I think a lot of people are worried about, but this could be useful. The name seems more appropriate for Kiss Ass though - why not call it "Deep Conversationalist" or something? I'd think if a Smart Ass was good at recruiting it would be because of their knowledge of varying subjects - oh, you're interested in beekeeping? I read a great article about that ...

-----------------
Weaponsmith
Tinkerer / +1 AP when wearing Light Armor
Why: Ooooh. More actions when wearing armor that doesn't slow me down? That's win/win!

Deconstructor / +25% more Weapon Parts gained
Why: Another cash crop, OK. Nice that this one is a flat bonus instead of a proc. But still not very exciting. Also, carry weight means that this is more of a drag than the Perks that just offer more Scrap.

Reinforced Plating / +1 Armor when wearing heavy armor
Why: Pile it on! If I'm wearing heavy armor to begin with, it's because I want to be unkillable.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 15th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Ha, nice. I was thinking about doing something like this, but every time I started writing I realized what a huge commitment it was going to be. I'm terrible at writing short, concise posts. :)

Except for this one.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 15th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Zombra wrote:Hit the Deck! / -25% damage from Explosives
Why: First, I have to let myself get hit for this to work. Second, I have to let myself get hit with a rarely used attack type.
Very situational, and perk slots are precious, but (at least in vanilla version), explosives had 100% penetration, meaning even the most lowly explosive would complete ignore all armor. So, it's a niche use, but can certainly be the difference between a fighting Ranger and a bleeding out Ranger.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 15th, 2015, 8:09 pm

SagaDC wrote:Ha, nice. I was thinking about doing something like this, but every time I started writing I realized what a huge commitment it was going to be. I'm terrible at writing short, concise posts. :)

Except for this one.
Yeah, will probably take me a couple days to go through them all, but I wanted to strike while we (hopefully) still have sea's attention :)
Very much looking forward to any specific input from you.

DarkWolf
Initiate

Post by DarkWolf » October 15th, 2015, 8:13 pm

I've been running around the Ag Centre and have had the Powder Packer perk activate quite a few times (I can't provide solid numbers, enough to be noticable). The items that spawn are marked as "bonus" so you know when the perk has been "activated". So far has just been say 10 or so .38 rounds each time with the ocassional additional half dozen 5.56. Provided you are willing to spend scrap to restock on ammo I'm not sure if this perk is best left in favour of others, I'm still feeling my way round the new perks.

Regarding the Turtle perk I'm wondering about the mechanics of it. Cover gives you a 50% evasion bonus (if I understand correctly), so, is the turtle perk's bonus 10% of your base evasion, or is it 10% of the 50% bonus that cover gives you?

Edit: Regarding the "Hit the Deck" perk weren't high combat iniative Red Skorpion Lobbers a pain for many players? I seem to recall a few posts about them in the past.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 15th, 2015, 8:29 pm

DarkWolf wrote:Edit: Regarding the "Hit the Deck" perk weren't high combat iniative Red Skorpion Lobbers a pain for many players? I seem to recall a few posts about them in the past.
Ugh, in my current playthrough I ran over to Rail Nomad Camp at Level 3 to pick up a couple of recruits. Ran into an RSM patrol, and their grenadier wiped out half my group in one throw. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be using pipe bombs (50 damage), but he actually managed to do 75 damage to all my characters with that one toss.

But in that case, "Hit the Deck" wouldn't have made much of a difference. 57 damage still would have floored most of my rookie rangers.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » October 15th, 2015, 8:47 pm

DarkWolf wrote:I've been running around the Ag Centre and have had the Powder Packer perk activate quite a few times (I can't provide solid numbers, enough to be noticable). The items that spawn are marked as "bonus" so you know when the perk has been "activated". So far has just been say 10 or so .38 rounds each time with the ocassional additional half dozen 5.56. Provided you are willing to spend scrap to restock on ammo I'm not sure if this perk is best left in favour of others, I'm still feeling my way round the new perks.
So one problem is the ammo will reflect where you are, at best, and won't really be very good ammo. You didn't find a single .30-06 bullet so far, for example, and each .30-06 bullet is worth quite a bit. No shotgun ammo, either.
On the other hand, this perk also amounts to more bullets, which in a sense is also more money, since you can sell extra ammunition back.
Hrm. At a glance, it feels like the more varied and potentially shitty your weapon selection is throughout your party, the more beneficial is this perk, whereas a relatively slim variety of weapons will not benefit greatly. Alternatively, if this limited experience is highly representative, this perk will be most useful to a party that enjoys firing off a lot of SMG and pistol rounds.
Interestingly, on a New Game + I did just that. Many of my characters had a skill point or five left over at that point to devote to being half-assed pistoleros, and wasting bad bullets on bad opponents saved me a lot of scrap.
Edit: Regarding the "Hit the Deck" perk weren't high combat iniative Red Skorpion Lobbers a pain for many players? I seem to recall a few posts about them in the past.
I know they were always a priority target for me, which means I certainly gave a darn. As a rule, this meant my sniper would try to take out a lobber on the surprise round of any random encounter. (Things were always more complicated on the farm, but I was also willing to throw more resources at a non-random battle.)

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 15th, 2015, 8:53 pm

I actually tend to highly favor looting-related perks, especially early in the game when I can maximize their value. At the moment I have almost all of them spread throughout my party, and I think the only one I haven't found useful at all is "Dowsing". That one only affects a very small number of containers, and even when it triggers it only gives you a trivial amount of scrap (usually about 10).

I will admit, "Powder Packer" is a bit underwhelming, but I like it enough that I don't regret taking it. It only occasionally triggers, but it triggers just often enough that I like having it. I would definitely say that "Junk Diver" is better, though, especially in conjunction with "Pawner".

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 15th, 2015, 8:58 pm

DarkWolf wrote: Regarding the Turtle perk I'm wondering about the mechanics of it. Cover gives you a 50% evasion bonus (if I understand correctly), so, is the turtle perk's bonus 10% of your base evasion, or is it 10% of the 50% bonus that cover gives you?
It should be a flat +10 increase, not 10% of 50%.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 15th, 2015, 9:06 pm

My ignorant, biased ratings of Combat Skill Perks added upthread. :D
Knowledge and General to come tomorrow ... or later tonight if I'm still thinking about it and can't sleep.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » October 15th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Zombra wrote:... or later tonight if I'm still thinking about it and can't sleep.
Just chiming in to say, god damn but I hate it when that happens.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 15th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Guess I'll start putting up my own thoughts on these perks as well, though I won't be doing it in nearly as fancy a format. I'm just a boring old text-robot. :P

Since Zombra started with perks that aren't attached to any particular skill, I'll run through those as well. Honestly, I don't really disagree with most of his assessments.

UNSKILLED PERKS

Hardened / +1 Base Armor
Rating: 4/5
Why: Sure, I like this one too. It's nice and simple, though occasionally invalidated by enemies who have a high enough armor penetration. The only reason I'm dinging it a point is because it's reliant on whatever type of armor you're already wearing, and it's useless against enemies with high penetration (such as snipers or explosives).

Healthy / +1 CON per character level
Rating: 3/5
Why: I'm pretty much in total agreement with Zombra on this one. It's nice to have extra MAXCON, but +1 per level is pretty trivial compared to what you're likely to have in the long run. If it were a percentage-based bonus, like +10%, then I'd take it a lot more seriously.

Hit the Deck! / -25% damage from Explosives
Rating: 2/5
Why: Blegh, this one is pretty sorry. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's nice to have some sort of defense against armor-ignoring explosives, but a 25% decrease in damage isn't really worth blowing a perk slot on. The only explosives that enemies generally use are grenades, and those cap out at 75 damage. That means that, at most, this perk will reduce the total damage taken by 19 points (to 56 points of armor-ignoring damage). Nice if you have absolutely nothing else to take, or if you're really tired of being hit with grenades, but otherwise a waste of a perk slot.

Hoarder / +20% Max Carry Weight
Why: Yup, I really like this one myself. I'm a hoarder and a packrat, so it goes well with my playstyle. The only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 score is because it's a percentage-based perk, which means that it's only really useful on characters who already have a high Strength attribute. You're probably not going to blow a perk slot for this perk if you only have a Strength of 3.

Limber / Crouching and standing costs -1 AP
Why: I can see how this perk might be appealing, but I almost never bother changing my stances. I generally have a very aggressive approach to combat, and make use of multiple close-range fighters. So, for me personally, this perk isn't really all that appealing. That doesn't mean it's not useful, it just means I wouldn't personally take it because it doesn't mesh with my playstyle.

Powder Packer / +10% chance of finding bonus Ammo when looting
Why: Yup, I agree with Zombra on this one, too. The 10% chance to get more ammunition from containers is nice, but at the same time, it procs very rarely. It's also not really needed, since there's plenty of ammo to go around once you get more than five or six hours into the game. Still, there's a lot you can do with that extra ammo, even if it's just using it as trading fodder.

Tormentor / +10% damage to enemies in cover
Rating: 1/5
Why: Can't say I'm a fan of this one, and I honestly don't really see it as being a good one either. I mean, it's always nice to get some bonus damage, but enemies who are in cover have a +50% chance to evade your attacks entirely. It's not really worth the extra 10% damage, if you're 50% more likely to not even hit your target. Focus on flanking them, destroying their cover, or hitting them with explosives instead.

EDIT - If this perk gives you a damage bonus even when you're flanking an opponent, then it's more useful. Since enemies will often stand next to cover, simply because there's so much cover on the field, that means it would be much easier to get the damage bonus without suffering the penalty to accuracy. In that case, I'd boost it up to 3/5. Maybe 4/5 for a melee fighter, since they'd always be flanking enemies if they're close enough to attack.

Turtle / +10% evasion bonus in cover
Why: As I mentioned before, I take a very aggressive approach to combat, so this particular perk isn't really all that useful for me. I do tend to give it to my sniper, since he's the only one who holds still long enough to really take advantage of cover, but most of my other characters are constantly moving or swarming around the enemies. That aside, my view is that since you already get a +50% bonus to Evasion for using cover, that extra +10% isn't really a big deal. Potentially useful, but not something I'd blow a perk on. It is worth mentioning that the DC version of Wasteland 2 has a ton more cover in most battles, though, so I can definitely see this perk being indispensable for more defensive players.

Weathered / -15% damage taken from Critical Hits
Why: Pass. The odds of being critically hit are already pretty low, but the odds of your one character who happens to have the "Weathered" perk being the guy who gets critically hit are astronomical. Unless you're planning on giving this perk to everyone in your squad, don't expect to see it pop up very often. That aside, the 15% damage decrease is pretty trivial.
Last edited by SagaDC on October 16th, 2015, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wastebot
Acolyte

Post by Wastebot » October 15th, 2015, 10:27 pm

I think there's a bit of a weird gray area with tormentor- does it work on any enemy flagged with cover, or only ones specifically recieving the benefits of said cover against your attack? because if you deal extra damage to any target in that passive hunched, hiding position, that's awesome.

regardless of how this pans out it also has nice synergy with whack a mole, though unless both get tuned up a bit it still isn't a situation you want to put yourself in, ideally.

Charge! Is really nice in that it gives any unit a burst of speed on the first round of combat. Movement can be used to set up ideal positioning, or to rush in, attack, and then run for cover. It also has obvious synergy with rush n attack. I'd go so far as to say it probably isn't worth grabbing rush n attack without Charge!. If someone was to say that is a glaring issue with RnA...I wouldn't disagree, at all. XD I think better perks would be a great area to tune up brawling without having to revisit the weapon damage itself.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 15th, 2015, 11:01 pm

On the Handgun Perks ... you know what I'd like to see instead?

Bandit / 20% chance of +1 AP rebate with each shot fired
Gunslinger / +20% (40%) chance of +1 AP rebate with each shot fired
Desperado / +20% (60%) chance of +1 AP rebate with each shot fired

Those would qualify as Sexy or Smolderingly attractive to me. Even the low level version would be cool to have right from the beginning, and not some crap "Don't worry, it will be half decent 20 hours from now when you dump more points in it."

I can already hear the balancing argument: if a player is lucky (about 20% of the time), he'll earn an extra shot, and will be firing as many bullets as an AR user gets to fire every turn ... at less damage and with worse armor penetration, for 3x the Perk cost. OK, maybe my fake counterargument isn't that strong. :)

It's pretty much the same effect - you get an extra shot sometimes - but with more of a consolation prize if you don't: an extra AP or two to maneuver with or save for next turn.

Robo_lover3396
Initiate

Post by Robo_lover3396 » October 15th, 2015, 11:32 pm

Adrenaline Rush must have combat speed bonus too or evade,crit bonus. 25% CON is too dangerous.
Some perk chains need to be shorten. I mean 2 level, not 3 level chain. They waste too much perk points.
And zeroed perk's chance have to be increased. I think 10% or 15% would be nice.
10 lv hand guns skill give you 60% crit chance so +2% is just +3.3% of original chance.
If zeroed give 10% bonus, you crit chance go 60%→70%→80%, in 15% bonus, it goes like 60%→75%→90%
(in 15% case, with unusual bow(+3% crit) and 7 luck, your third shot always makes crit. hm... is it OP?)

In fact, 10 perks in one ranger is too much. because we have 4 rangers in one squad. 4*10=40 perks. a little too much, isn't it?
Maybe 5 or 6 will be ok.(4*5 or 6=20 or 24 not bad) and we need attribute based perk which require a proper level of attribute.
I wish this game go better than this.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 16th, 2015, 7:13 am

Zombra wrote:COMBAT SKILL PERKS
-----------------
Assault Rifle
Hollow Point / +1 Armor Penetration when using AR
Rating: 5/5
Why: Yup, this one is pretty much a no-brainer. If you're using assault rifles, then you want this perk.

Melee Shooting / -35% close range penalty with AR
Rating: 3
Why: This is theoretically a very good perk, but it depends on exactly how it works. Does it reduce the close-range penalty by a flat 35%? Because if that's the case, it's excellent, and it will totally negate the penalty for most assault rifles. If it just reduces the penalty by 35 percent, however, then it's far less useful. The average assault rifle has a 25% penalty at close range, and 25 reduced by 35% is still 17. Is it worth spending a perk slot to reduce your close range penalty by 8?

Gunner / -5% Chance to Hit penalty on Burst Fire attacks
Why: Yup, this one is pretty much a no-brainer too. Burst-firing with assault rifles isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still pretty solid - especially at higher tiers. 5% isn't much of a bonus, but the fact that it's a persistent bonus that doesn't require some tiny chance of activation makes it better than most other weapon perks.

-----------------
Blades
Self Defense / +1 Armor at close range when wielding a blade
Why: Not bad, especially if stacked with decent armor and/or the Hardened perk. It's useless against enemies with guns, but roughly half the enemies you encounter will be melee-focused, so it's guaranteed to be useful about half the time.

Glancing Strike / Gain Attacks of Opportunity as enemies move past in combat, dealing 50% normal damage with Blades
Why: From what I've seen, this perk actually removes your ability to use normal Ambush attacks, which are much more reliable (and do 100% damage right off the bat). Glancing Strike also only seems to be able to trigger once per turn, so at best you'll be maybe hitting one enemy per turn for half normal damage. Not very appealing. If they fix it so you can use Ambushes AND get Attacks of Opportunity, then it might be more appealing.

Opportune Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal 75% normal damage with Blades
Why: Glancing Strike is already pretty mediocre, so why would you bother spending another perk just to make it slightly better?

Strategic Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal full damage with Blades
Rating: 0/5
Why: Ditto. Why spend three perk slots on a gimped out version of the Ambush mechanic?

Samurai / +1 Armor Penetration with Blades
Why: Yup, this is a must-have for any blade-wielding character. A flat, consistent bonus against all enemies as long as you're wielding a blade.

Adrenaline Rush / +2 AP when below 25% MAXCON
Why: I actually kind of like this one, especially given that combat difficulty seems to have been ramped up a bit in the DC edition. Bladesmen are already going to be priority targets since they're on the front lines all the time, and +2 AP per turn means that they can move faster and possibly even get off a whole extra attack per turn. If you feel like gambling, you can leave your character badly injured just to milk that extra +2 AP on a regular basis.

-----------------
Blunt Weapons
Charge! / +0.5 Combat Speed bonus on first round of combat
Why: Definitely not too shabby, since it lets you move an extra half-space per AP. With this perk, I can routinely use my blunt weapon fighter clear across the map on the first turn, to beat the enemy snipers to death as quickly as possible. It's also worth noting that you can kind of cheese out with this perk, because it still works even if you're holding the blunt weapon in your secondary weapon slot, so you can use it to make a gun-based ranger super-maneuverable during the first turn of combat. Sure it only works on the first turn of combat, but most fights will be over within two or three turns, and there are a LOT of combat encounters out there.

Glancing Strike / Gain Attacks of Opportunity as enemies move past in combat, dealing 50% normal damage with Blunt Weapons
Why: See above.

Opportune Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal 75% normal damage with Blunt Weapons

Strategic Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal full damage with Blunt Weapons

Shoulder the Load / -25% Combat Speed penalty when in Heavy Armor
Why: I like this perk in theory, but in actual practice it's not really that great. Most heavy armor imposes a -0.4 Combat Speed penalty, so that means this perk will give you a whopping +0.1 Combat Speed when you're wearing Combat Armor, Goad Hide Armor, or the Mobile Infantry Armor. It'll give you a slightly higher modifier when you're wearing Steel Plate Armor (+0.2 CS), Mobile Infantry Armor (+0.15), and Power Armor (+2.5). Is that really worth a perk slot? Keep in mind that the penultimate perk for using light armor is Tinkerer, which gives you +1 AP.

Slayer / +10% chance your Blunt attacks use no AP
Why: Yup, if you're a blunt fighter then you want this. Blunt weapons are relatively slow but powerful, so having a decent chance of firing off a free attack once every four or five turns is pretty great. Granted, 10% is pretty low, but any higher and it might start seeming imbalanced (especially compared to the three-perk Bandit chain).

-----------------
Brawling
Free-For-All / +10% chance to inflict random Precision Strike effects when Brawling
Why: I like this one in theory, but in actual practice it's pretty mediocre. Most enemies will be dead within a turn or two at most, especially once your brawler starts beating the crap out of them. Stacking a small, random debuff on top of that isn't going to make much of a difference. Might be nice against tougher foes later in the game, but even then you're probably better off with perks like Slayer or the Stunning chain.

Glancing Strike / Gain Attacks of Opportunity as enemies move past in combat, dealing 50% normal damage with Brawling

Opportune Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal 75% normal damage with Brawling

Strategic Strike / Attacks of Opportunity deal full damage with Brawling

Rush 'N Attack / On the first turn of combat, your first Brawling attack costs no AP
Why: Again, I like this one in theory, but I'm not so crazy about it in actual practice. It is nice to get a guaranteed free attack in the first turn of combat, and I do have a very aggressive playstyle. But, on the other hand, brawling attacks are usually very cheap (3AP), so that one free attack isn't going to necessarily amount to much when I'm going to be rocking out an average of two or three punches every turn. This is a nice perk, but not a great perk.

-----------------
Energy Weapons
Overcharge / +10% damage using EW against non-Conductive Armor
Why: Depends on how this one works. If it adds a flat +10% to the total damage, then it's bad. If it actually increases the amount of non-conductive damage your energy weapon inflicts by 10%, then it's better. If I have an energy weapon that inflicts 60% damage against non-conductive foes, that means the difference between hitting them with 66% total damage and 70% total damage.

Overload / +20% damage using EW against non-Conductive Armor
Why: Again, depends on how this perk works. If it works one way, then my 60% damage energy weapon will be inflicting 72% damage instead. If it works the other way, then my 60% damage energy weapon will be inflicting 80% damage.

Atomize / +30% damage using EW vs. non-Conductive Armor
Why: And again, depends on how it works. I'm either increasing my 60% to 78%, or I'm increasing my 60% to 90%. Which is it? If it's the latter, then this actually is worth taking, because then my energy weapons are still doing near-full damage to non-conductive foes.

Solar Powered / 15% chance your EW attacks use no ammo
Why: If you're using energy weapons, then you want this perk. If you also have the Cyber-Scrounger perk, then you'll be rolling in spare energy cells, which make good trading fodder.

-----------------
Handguns
Zeroed / +2% stacking Critical Chance bonus when repeatedly attacking a specific target with Handguns
Why: Not great, but usable. Most enemies will die before you can attack them more than two or three times, which means you'll very rarely see higher than a +4% bonus to your Critical Chance. On the other hand, at least it's an automatic and fairly consistent bonus. If you're a dedicated handgunner, then this is worth taking.

Bandit / 2% chance attacks with Handguns or SMG will not use AP
Why: Terrible. You have to fire an average of fifty shots to get one free attack. That means for every 150AP you spend, you'll maybe get 3AP back. It will be rare for you to fire your handgun more than ten times in a single combat, so that means you'll see this perk trigger maybe once every five combats.

Gunslinger / Free attack chance with Pistol and SMG increased to 4%
Why: Well, now you have a chance of getting one free attack out of every twenty-five attacks, but you had to spend two perk slots to get it. Was it worth it? No, probably not.

Desperado / Free attack chance with Pistol and SMG increased to 6%
Why: Well, at least you're likely to get one free attack every other combat encounter now. But you also had to burn three of your perk slots for something that will give you a minor benefit once every couple of fights. It's a tangible benefit, if just barely, but the investment is far too steep. And yes, blunt weapon fighters are much happier with their Slayer perk, because it's a single-perk investment that gives a (comparatively) massive +10% chance of free attacks.

-----------------
Heavy Weapons
Battering Fire / +1% per bullet chance of inflicting Precision Strike effects when using HW
Why: One out of every one-hundred bullets will inconvenience my foe with a minor debuff? Pass. If I'm shooting my foe one-hundred times, then they're probably already super-dead. Just to put that into perspective, remember that all heavy weapons now have 7-round bursts, and you'll probably only be able to get off one burst per turn. That means that you'll be able to dole out a single debuff, on average, once every fourteen turns.

Overwhelming Fire / +3% per bullet chance of inflicting Precision Strike effects when using HW
Rating: 0/0
Why: Still pretty bad. Now you'll get to dole out a minor debuff once every thirty-three shots, instead. So, once every five turns, an enemy will not only be already dead, but also slightly inconvenienced - and it only cost you two perk slots!

Devastating Fire / +5% per bullet chance of inflicting Precision Strike effects when using HW
Why: Okay, sure, now you're seeing a debuff trigger once every twenty shots (or once every three bursts). At least you can actually see the perk working on a regular basis, now. On the other hand, you had to spend thirty percent of your perk slots just for that mediocre bonus. If the perk chain STARTED at 5%, then it might be worth taking. As it stands, you should be avoiding it. In fact, you should probably just be avoiding heavy weapons in general.

Bullet-Ridden / -1 Armor on enemies when using HW on them
Why: But if you insist on using heavy weapons, then you want this perk. A guaranteed debuff every time you hit an enemy is great, assuming they don't immediately die and negate the debuff. It's just a shame you can't take this perk until you have a 10 in the relevant skill. If this perk had a lower prereq, then I'd give it a higher score.

-----------------
Shotguns
Careful Hunter / -25% Friendly Fire with Shotguns
Why: So, one out of every four times I decide to shoot my squaddies, I might not hit them. Sounds like a solid investment to me. Or I could just, y'know, not shoot my squadmates.

Precise Hunter / -50% chance of Friendly Fire when using Shotguns
Why: Okay, now the perk is at least a halfway decent "emergency perk". For those situations where only one ally is in the line of fire, but you stand a chance to hit three or four enemies at once, this perk might be worth taking.

Master Hunter / -75% chance of Friendly Fire with Shotguns
Why: Well, now you can reliably not hit your allies with burst templates, but it also took you three perks to get here. It's definitely a useful benefit, but at the same time it's definitely not worth the three-perk investment.

Obliterator / Attacking cover with Shotguns always completely destroys it
Why: I don't tend to target enemy cover much, but on the other hand this perk works 100% of the time and it means I can take out an enemy's cover AND potentially hit the enemy in a single attack. Yeah, I can get behind that.

-----------------
Submachine Guns
Fast Reload / -1 AP to reload SMGs
Why: Potentially useful, but it will very rarely come up. If you're really worried about needing to reload faster, just slap a quickmag mod in your SMG, and spend your perk slot on something else.

Whack-a-Mole / +10% chance to hit enemies in cover
Why: You suffer a massive penalty of -50% when attempting to hit enemies who are behind cover. This perk reduces that penalty to a still-massive -40%. Submachine guns have an incredibly short range, so if you're close enough to target an enemy who's behind cover, you're probably close enough to just walk around their cover and flank them instead. EDIT - If this perk actually gives you the bonus even when you're flanking an opponent who's in cover, then it's more useful. Still not great, since accuracy will eventually become a moot issue, but I would give it at least a 3/5.

-----------------
Sniper Rifles
Watchman / No Chance to Hit penalty when using Ambush
Why: Of all your rangers, the dedicated sniper is the most likely to use the Ambush mechanic on a regular basis. This perk is a no-brainer. By mid-game, it's virtually a guaranteed hit with every Ambush attack.

Focused Shooter / -15% Under Pressure penalty
Confident Shooter / -30% Under Pressure penalty
Zen Shooter / -45% Under Pressure penalty
Why: Three perks, all dedicated to reducing your point-blank penalty from massive to still-pretty-bad. Granted, it depends on exactly how this perk works. If it just reduces the penalty by a flat 15/30/45, then it will actually remove the penalty entirely at a certain point, and thus make it possible to blast enemies at point-blank range with impunity. But honestly, that's probably not how it works. If you have a -30% chance to hit at point-blank range, this perk probably reduces it to -26%, then -21%, and then -17%. Does that sound like it's worth the perk slots?

Deadeye / -1 AP when firing Sniper Rifles if you haven't moved during the turn
Why: More AP is always good, and your sniper's not going to be moving around much anyway - especially by the time your skill is high enough to take this perk. This is a must-have for any sniper.
Last edited by SagaDC on October 16th, 2015, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » October 16th, 2015, 8:35 am

I agree with most of stuff in the OP.

Melee Attacks of Opportunity theoretically sound like a good idea. But the thing is, utilising them would require building melee character who can charge in early into the fight AND live. In the attribute system its very nearly impossible to build a character that is both very mobile and very tanky.

Heavy weapons look excellent now in my opinion, they'll start slowly but should start ramping up serious damage mid-to-late game.

Same thing with Shotguns, they're bad early, but once the perks start coming it they should be viable option and provide some tactical variety.

Pistol perks being bad though, I don't really agree on. With a right build you can ramp up A LOT of attacks in one round, with proc chance for every one of them. I think you'll be seeing the procs more than you expect. Stack AP from attributes, maybe raise a bit of Luck, add base crit chance from weapon line, and its looking fairly good.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.