A short summary of the lvl-1-solo-run after finishing Arizona (Ranger-Difficulty)
It is surprising that so far the solo-run is not very different from a normal one. You just have to be more cautious. Knowing the locations, quest-mechanics and all possible enemies is essential. Explosives are nice but most of the time i could live without them. Beside killing critical enemies i used them most of the time for opening safes and disabling traps. Sneaking is even more important because you dont need the experience - shooting is just a waste of bullets.
The Route i had choosen was...
1.Ranger Citadel: Took all loot from my dead comrades and bought the rad suits.
2. Rail Nomads Camp: Took as much loot as possible and - very important - the Bullpup Sniperrifle. With it the next areas are very easy. Skipped the diplomatic way for peacing the groups.
3. Radio Tower: No challenge there. Just took log book and repeater units. Not to forget: The +1 Skill-statue.
4. AG-Center: For this one you will need some explosives to make the fights vs bunnies easier. Let them come and nuke them down. Do not (!) talk to Dr. Larsen - you will die horribly. Just use explosives (plus one or two shots). Everything else is no challenge if you know the place. Do not forget the +1 skill-statue in the east fields.
5. Ranger Citadel Interior: Get your supplies, talk a bit and use the +1 skill-statue.
6. Darwin: The Mutants are no challenge - too slow. You can disarm the laser-traps with explosives too. After some save-scumming i got lucky and found the M24-Sniper and Engagement Rings (+3 CI). Took the +1 skill-statue.
7. High-Pool: Sneak-killed my way to the burned radio-tower. Got the location of the wrecking crew.
8. Prison: I skipped most of the area here as its not relevant for going to California. Sneaked through the cave-tunnels to get to Rick. Killed him for the essential +4-Rad-Suit as i could not go through the level-locked-door in Ranger Citadel. Used the +1 skill-statue.
9. Canyon of Titans: No real challenge here too: Sided with the monks - killed the badgers without problems and used explosives for DBM-Militia. The tribute is no problem as there are plenty of barrels. Used the +1 skill-statue.
10. Damonta: Finally a challenging area! I used sneak a lot to get past the slicer dicers and the robot patrols. Could not get past the damn turret without firing a law-rocket. Used the +1 skill-statue. Killed the Tinker and his robots using the "hide-and-shoot-cheapo". Turned on the second radio-tower.
11. Base of the Wrecking Crew: Mainly visited for loot and the +1 skill-statue.
12. Ranger Citadel: Had to use an editor to get through to level-locked door. Kept open even after resetting to lvl 1 back again. Finally i can buy the RPG-7. California is waiting!!!
California will be much harder and yes i know that there are some critical encounters where i will suffer horribly. Will try to find a way around these problems - if its possible. At least the game is challenging again!