Solo Ranger Experience Guide

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

TooTall1
Initiate

Re: Solo Ranger Experience Guide

Post by TooTall1 » November 29th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Harpagornis wrote: Does anybody know if i can pass this damn door in Ranger Citadel (to get to Leiutenant Tan and the prison) later on? If this door keeps closed because of the minimum level requirement - the lvl 1-solo-run will end in Arizona... :(
Those are separate doors, I believe.

If you are facing the door to the "Brig" move left to the next bay, Lt. Tan's door is there ;)

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » November 30th, 2014, 11:07 am

I have good and bad news regarding the lvl-1-solo-run:

The good news:
I ended the robot attack and brought the radio in Damonta to new life. Killing the Tinker was a bit tricky cause he always got at least one burst-fire on me - thanks to his high CI. Killed me two times in a single round (playing on Ranger-Difficulty). His high range was also a bit of a problem but thankfully the range of the M24-Sniper was higher. Using the Hide-and-Shoot-Cheapo i killed the robots first and finally the Tinker. The hole fight took around 10 minutes. So far everything is fine.

The bad news:
I still cant get through this damn door that is guarded by Grenadier Major Levi Hand. Vargas is waiting on the platform where you can go to the helicopter but i cant reach him. If i use my stored experience and lvlup going through the door is no problem. But not with lvl 1 - damn. Can someone from the Inxile-Team please remove the level-requirement so that i can play on with my lvl-1-solo-run? PLEASE!!! :D

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » November 30th, 2014, 12:30 pm

I solved the door-problem with the only method available: Pushed the char-level using an editor. To make it short: It worked! After getting through the door i put my char back to level 1 - all other stats of course remained unchanged. Feels like cheating but i could not find another way. California i am coming!!!!! :)

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » November 30th, 2014, 1:40 pm

I can confirm that door being level-locked. Man near it directly says that only high-ranked rangers can enter and you should get a couple of promotions before being allowed inside. There are two ways to open it, by leveling up or with rpg-7. LAW won't do. Here's a save to play with it.
Obvious problem is that the only rpg-7 in Arizona is behind that very door.
Last edited by random anon on December 1st, 2014, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » November 30th, 2014, 1:56 pm

random anon wrote:I can confirm that door being level-locked. Man near it directly says that only high-ranked rangers can enter and you should get a couple of promotions before being allowed inside. There are two ways to open it, by leveling up or with rpg-7. LAW won't do. Here's a save to play with it.
Obvious problem is that the only rpg-7 in Arizona is behind that very door.
Yeah, thats the problem. I tried everything from grenades up to law rockets. Nothing worked. RPG-7 maybe work but is only available BEHIND the door. Thats crap. Anyone knows why there is a level-requirement for this door? Anyway: The editor-level-push worked. I am behind the door and again lvl 1 - the doors seems to stay open now. ;)

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 1st, 2014, 7:35 am

A short summary of the lvl-1-solo-run after finishing Arizona (Ranger-Difficulty)

It is surprising that so far the solo-run is not very different from a normal one. You just have to be more cautious. Knowing the locations, quest-mechanics and all possible enemies is essential. Explosives are nice but most of the time i could live without them. Beside killing critical enemies i used them most of the time for opening safes and disabling traps. Sneaking is even more important because you dont need the experience - shooting is just a waste of bullets.

The Route i had choosen was...

1.Ranger Citadel: Took all loot from my dead comrades and bought the rad suits.
2. Rail Nomads Camp: Took as much loot as possible and - very important - the Bullpup Sniperrifle. With it the next areas are very easy. Skipped the diplomatic way for peacing the groups.
3. Radio Tower: No challenge there. Just took log book and repeater units. Not to forget: The +1 Skill-statue.
4. AG-Center: For this one you will need some explosives to make the fights vs bunnies easier. Let them come and nuke them down. Do not (!) talk to Dr. Larsen - you will die horribly. Just use explosives (plus one or two shots). Everything else is no challenge if you know the place. Do not forget the +1 skill-statue in the east fields.
5. Ranger Citadel Interior: Get your supplies, talk a bit and use the +1 skill-statue.
6. Darwin: The Mutants are no challenge - too slow. You can disarm the laser-traps with explosives too. After some save-scumming i got lucky and found the M24-Sniper and Engagement Rings (+3 CI). Took the +1 skill-statue.
7. High-Pool: Sneak-killed my way to the burned radio-tower. Got the location of the wrecking crew.
8. Prison: I skipped most of the area here as its not relevant for going to California. Sneaked through the cave-tunnels to get to Rick. Killed him for the essential +4-Rad-Suit as i could not go through the level-locked-door in Ranger Citadel. Used the +1 skill-statue.
9. Canyon of Titans: No real challenge here too: Sided with the monks - killed the badgers without problems and used explosives for DBM-Militia. The tribute is no problem as there are plenty of barrels. Used the +1 skill-statue.
10. Damonta: Finally a challenging area! I used sneak a lot to get past the slicer dicers and the robot patrols. Could not get past the damn turret without firing a law-rocket. Used the +1 skill-statue. Killed the Tinker and his robots using the "hide-and-shoot-cheapo". Turned on the second radio-tower.
11. Base of the Wrecking Crew: Mainly visited for loot and the +1 skill-statue.
12. Ranger Citadel: Had to use an editor to get through to level-locked door. Kept open even after resetting to lvl 1 back again. Finally i can buy the RPG-7. California is waiting!!!

California will be much harder and yes i know that there are some critical encounters where i will suffer horribly. Will try to find a way around these problems - if its possible. At least the game is challenging again! ;)

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » December 1st, 2014, 8:18 am

That's a recipe for a speedrun video. If only there was a legal way to open that Citadel door :/

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 1st, 2014, 8:44 am

random anon wrote:That's a recipe for a speedrun video. If only there was a legal way to open that Citadel door :/
Yes, i would be really happy if there would be a legal way - hurts a lot. :(

I am still farming gold and supplies in Arizona. California has to wait till tomorrow. Will be a lot fo fun! :)

EDIT: Added the chapter "Use explosives as decoy or death trap" to the guide!

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 2nd, 2014, 2:04 pm

A short status call from California:

Died in this short period more times than in whole Arizona together.
Was still able to collect the needed cat litter without huge problems.
Will be heading to the very critical encounter in Whittier - tomorrow!

Wish me good luck! :D

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 3rd, 2014, 1:59 pm

After many painful deaths the little lvl 1 solo ranger finally got through the Whittier- and Santa-Fe-Base-Ambush.

Whittier: Took me some hours to find a running-route which 1) gave me enough cover from shots and 2) lured the synths to the left side away from the tractor on the bottom right (which is the only place where you can use the hide-and-shoot-cheapo). The main problem was the sharpshooter - high range plus constant one-shot-kill - and not to forget the death-ray-synths - also good range and most of the time one-shot-kill. I could not find a way around the sharpshooter AND the death-rays AND the fast-running bashers so i decided to instakill the sharpshooter first with the RPG-7 - which only works on "Seasoned" or lower. If this is done everyhting else can even be done on Supreme Jerk - if you manage to outrun expecially the death-rays. The others - even the heavy gunner - is no challenge once you reach the tractor AND no synth got vision on you. Reached the tractor several times but at least one still got vision and therefore all kept on running towards my position. This battle had the highest frustration- and fun-level so far. Not to forget: Engagement Rings (14+3 CI) were a must have here!!!

Santa Fe: The Dugan-Robot-Ambush was also painful. The Gunner-Robot always got the first burst which resulted in many insta-deaths. If you manage to dodge them - yes this happens from time to time - you can kill the first robot group with a RPG-7-Rocket. After this it was just the usual Hide-and-Shoot-Cheapo.

Will be heading to Hollywood - tomorrow! :)

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » December 3rd, 2014, 2:10 pm

How about using consumables - honeydew melons from Ag Center, banana pudding from Canyon and foods from Damonta for saving Binh? They can really give your ranger an edge for extra hard plot fights.

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 3rd, 2014, 2:22 pm

random anon wrote:How about using consumables - honeydew melons from Ag Center, banana pudding from Canyon and foods from Damonta for saving Binh? They can really give your ranger an edge for extra hard plot fights.
Good point random anon! Thought about using the pudding but will try to save my food for as long as possible. ;)

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » December 3rd, 2014, 7:03 pm

Just noticed that weapon mods have same requirement for installing and disassembling since update 4, didn't test them bc playing a brawling solo :/

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 3rd, 2014, 10:22 pm

Ok, i tried Whittier again - this time with the banana-pudding-effect (+3 AP). And yes the movement-boost (plus some luck) was just enough to win this fight on Ranger-Difficulty - very nice! :)

Yeah, the requirements for the weapon-mods are annyoing. But so far i surpringly can live without them thanks to the high base range from snipers. Only have to be very careful against other snipers.

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » December 3rd, 2014, 10:59 pm

I hope devs won't read this thread and then do something lazy like giving all enemies a vision through walls. Having those silly prison turrets was already overboard. Some "last seen" memorizing handler on every step would do, so that enemies could approach the place where they saw rangers for the last time. Maybe not snipers, but brawlers for sure.

And there centainly should be a "solo" achievement, because, well, just look at all this sh*t :lol:

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 4th, 2014, 1:08 am

random anon wrote:I hope devs won't read this thread and then do something silly like giving all enemies a vision through walls. Having those silly prison turrets was already overboard. Some "last seen" memorizing handler on every step would do, so that enemies could approach the place where they saw rangers for the last time. Maybe not snipers, but brawlers for sure.

And there centainly should be a "solo" achievement, because, well, just look at all this sh*t :lol:
Oh yeah: Vision through walls would be a killer. So devs please do not read this thread. :D
A last seen memorize (like in BG) would be ok in my opinion.

Totally agree on the solo-achievement. But as it seems not many people care about the solo-challenge. What a pity...

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 4th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Damn i never thought i would hate Hollywood so much - especially Griffith Park & the Bastion.

Yes, i finally managed to get the Zeolite & and mounted the Radio Tower - but it was a paintrain!!

Had to use several explosives to disarm those damn traps in Griffith-Park and to decoy the mutant-beasts. After that i died dozens (!) of times to the preachers in front of the Bastion-Gate. Only a weapon-jam saved my ass so i could burn them down with a RPG-7. With no perception and lockpicking i had to follow Malediction Mayweather (or is there another way?). Which meant in the end killing (nearly) all of those damn Gods Militia. Malediction and the others can all be cleaned with the Hide-and-Shoot-Cheapo using the walls as vision-blocker. Going outside was by far the tougher part. The only way to get through was: Storing several RPG-7 in the bastion before (!) i engaging Malediction (which costs some time and nerves). Used one RPG-7 for the guard with the two towers, one for the first guardians in front of the radio tower - the second group with the Meson Canon can be killed with the classic Hide-and-Shoot-Cheapo using the building with the zeolite as cover. Oh, well i used another one on my way out - because i was too lazy and too bored - killing the guarding preachers you met at the very beginning. After another decoy-sneack i finally managed to get past the mutant-beasts again and out of this personal most hated area.

Will be hunting Dugan - and maybe Matthias - in the next days. Death is already waiting... :D

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 5th, 2014, 9:40 am

Dugan is dead - only Matthias and his Synths left. Clearing the New Citadel was only partially tricky.

Its quite unbelievable that the Synth-Snipers outrange me. Even with Long Barrel (+6m) and High Powered Scope (+7m) the total Range of the Anti-Material-Rifle (53m) is not enough. Maybe i should try to get the Dragoon for this. Only way to kill them was some dodge-crit-luck as they easily one-hit-kill my little ranger. Without all these weapon mods the Meson-Canon right before Dugan would be a pain in the ass cause it can aim on you at ridiculous range while your vision-cover is very limited - took me several tries luring it close enough.

Dugan himself and his group is a joke when using the Hide-and-Shoot-Cheapo. Thanks to Engagement Rings the Combat Initiative of 17 is enough to get first turn. Just take cover behind the steelpipes and do your job. Dugan cant hit you from that range, the Meson Canon cant aim you and even the Scorpitron will not throw his babys and just waits for his death. Funny! :D

To be continued - or not...

Harpagornis
Scholar

Post by Harpagornis » December 5th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Arrived at Ranger-Citadel for the final battles.

The standings so far are:

Little Ranger - The Scorcherer 1:0
Little Ranger - The Guardians 1:0
Little Ranger - Cochise Matthias TO BE PLAYED

I dont know if i can find a way around those annoying snipers. As i didnt used any help - Vargas died to the Scorcherer - this is for sure a tough one. Will need very much luck and good positioning here (and maybe some food-buff). The rest of the Synths should be toast afterwards. We will see...

Before proceeding to the final area i used what i call the "infinite-carry-trick". The reason behind this is quite simple. Going to Dugan (and Matthias) means just one thing: You will need the maximum firepower to get through. Especially with a weak character like the Level-1-Ranger who will die in one hit. But one problem always remained with my strength 4 Ranger: How to carry all the RPG-7 and ammunition and healing stuff and trinkets without being encumbred? The solution is easy: You just have to store the heavy pieces that will overload you near the waypoint that will bring you to the next area and take them all again when you are ready to travel. Yes this means a lot (!) of running. But with this little trick i took five RPG-7 AND around 700 bullets to the final area of the game. Dont panic that you cant move in the fight vs Dugan because you are overloaded. You can drop items even in combat and will regain your full movement in the same round - its magic. After the battle just play the drop-run-take-game again to move on to Ranger Citadel with your full weapon armory.

Matthias will have to wait till tomorrow - i am just too tired now. Good Night! ;)

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » December 5th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Heh. No matter if you can cheapo your way through final battle or not, that's 99% of plot done, so the enemies' lack of memory is that bad. I wonder if inXile QA ever tested how far player can go with this.