Is it possible to save Anna now?

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

The Tallest
Adventurer

Is it possible to save Anna now?

Post by The Tallest » November 3rd, 2014, 6:56 am

At the prison is it possible now to save Anna or is mercy killing her still the only way? I just made it to the prison and decided to just loot Elroy and Anna's possessions and then just leave her on her death bed. I figured I'd try and procure the cure from the RSM. But is this even possible? I remember in the past it wasn't; there have however been two patches so was anything changed with this quest?

If it's not possible to save her then I'll just go back and end her.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

Devilfish
Acolyte

Re: Is it possible to save Anna now?

Post by Devilfish » November 3rd, 2014, 8:47 am

To the best of my knowledge, after trying everything in-game and a lot of Googling, your only option are to kill her or to leave her. If you do kill her a kid will see you and you have to pass a KA check or he runs off and his family turns hostile, preventing you from getting a quest. But I'm 99% sure there's currently no way to actually help her. (In a P2 playthrough at least.)
With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book!

Ranger Ghost
Novice

Post by Ranger Ghost » November 3rd, 2014, 9:05 am

If it's possible i haven't found how. Was thinking that maybe you need to progress further the Prison and get something in another map, the same way you pass the turrets to reach Danforth, but found nothing. She's dead when Echo enter the Valley back from Damonta.

Weird thing. I read that some content was cut here, why ? This Valley is frankly not the best place of the game.

Devilfish
Acolyte

Post by Devilfish » November 3rd, 2014, 9:38 am

Ranger Ghost wrote:Weird thing. I read that some content was cut here, why ?
I read somewhere (so this is hearsay, take it as you will) that in the beta her husband does show up with the cure, but only if you kill her, and he's very angry about it. If you didn't kill her, he never showed up. People were understandably miffed about that, so it was changed. I personally like the change, it's nice to have a situation where even the kindest solution is sad and tragic, but it's still a little weird to have it happen while I have a surgeon, medic and scientist on my team and I know where the cure is. I didn't mind not being able to help her, wasteland is a cruel place and all that, but when you think about it it doesn't really make much sense.
With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 3rd, 2014, 1:11 pm

Yeah, I'm still annoyed by this and have thus far refused to even talk to her on playthroughs.

I reject your false and contrived dilemma, inXile! Fie on you! Fie, I say!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Devilfish
Acolyte

Post by Devilfish » November 3rd, 2014, 1:32 pm

Anna: Oh god please let me die!
Medic: Are you sure? I mean, I've got all these medicines and kits and the cure for canc-
Anna: Noooooo kill me it's hopeless!
Leader: We could go find your husband. We've got some experience helping peop-
Anna: Noooooo so sick!
Rose: I could definitely cure you back at my lab. If this strapping lad here would just carry you-
Anna: Oh god the suffering let it end!
Surgeon: Look, I know it's drastic but if I could do some exploratory-
Anna: OH GOD THE AGONY!!!
Angela: *wrench splat*

Stansfield
Explorer

Post by Stansfield » November 3rd, 2014, 1:35 pm

Drool wrote:Yeah, I'm still annoyed by this and have thus far refused to even talk to her on playthroughs.

I reject your false and contrived dilemma, inXile! Fie on you! Fie, I say!
Oh, is that how it's said? Weird, and I always thought it was, "Fee! Thou owest me a tax for your impertinence! 500 scrap in scrip, and don't scrimp with the ... dammit, I had something for this."

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » November 3rd, 2014, 3:13 pm

OK I figured as much. I'll just mosey my way back there and put a bullet in her. Kind of disappointing that you can't help her but I completely understand where the devs were coming from.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 3rd, 2014, 3:40 pm

I kind of do, but I don't like it. At least the kid running up is better than the husband teleporting in with the cure the second you kill her.

And I'm fine with no-win scenarios, but this one just seems so contrived, and I really don't like it, which is why I intentionally ignore it. Maybe if it wasn't for the magical cure-everything cancer cure. Or, even better, have the cancer cure work on her, but there's only the one dose and you have to choose to save her or save the doc back at the Citadel. That would be a choice.

Right now, the choice is just kill her or... ignore her. Not much of a choice.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Raestloz
Explorer

Post by Raestloz » November 3rd, 2014, 6:18 pm

Drool wrote: Or, even better, have the cancer cure work on her, but there's only the one dose and you have to choose to save her or save the doc back at the Citadel. That would be a choice.
You know what, I like that suggestion.

Also, maybe they can actually put her husband in Titan Canyon? I don't care if he's dead or if we can save him, I just want the story to actually make sense.

Did her husband run with another woman?
My leadership Ranger is my medic

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » November 4th, 2014, 12:06 pm

They never really establish where it is that her husband went, though given the proximity of the Prison and Titan Valley, I'd guess he went to the Monks for some medical help. I really did expect to encounter him there. Missed opportunity, that.

shaigunjoe
Explorer

Post by shaigunjoe » November 4th, 2014, 12:15 pm

SagaDC wrote:They never really establish where it is that her husband went, though given the proximity of the Prison and Titan Valley, I'd guess he went to the Monks for some medical help. I really did expect to encounter him there. Missed opportunity, that.
I thought you met some guy in the canyon, was it dale? Who talks about his wife being sick, though he can never get her name or her predicament right, and seems to be pretty drugged and or drunk.

Raestloz
Explorer

Post by Raestloz » November 4th, 2014, 5:42 pm

shaigunjoe wrote:I thought you met some guy in the canyon, was it dale? Who talks about his wife being sick, though he can never get her name or her predicament right, and seems to be pretty drugged and or drunk.
No, Dale will go to Damonta. There never was a wife, he's a smuggler.

Also, if you don't help him before going to Damonta, there'll be two of him. Kagebunshin?
My leadership Ranger is my medic

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 4th, 2014, 5:53 pm

They should allow you to try and help with Surgeon, and just have her die when doing it.

You still have to explain to the kid, and you lose some consumables, but at least you don't feel like an arse.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Mallaca51
Explorer

Post by Mallaca51 » November 5th, 2014, 7:16 pm

There's a quest line that may or may not exist still. Check your save file in a notepad and there's a line "elroy came just in time and saved anna".

Never once figured it out though.

BetaSpectre
Explorer

Post by BetaSpectre » November 6th, 2014, 1:22 am

Best just to ignore her, its only a few EXP if you have the ass skill needed here. Honestly I don't see why you can't at least try to save her. I can understand if she's too far gone but hey at least let us try and see it fail.

Ranger Ghost
Novice

Post by Ranger Ghost » November 6th, 2014, 1:56 am

A Surgeon 10 test could save her. So not a lot of teams would succeed, but it'd still be possible.

TheGhoulGuy
Initiate

Post by TheGhoulGuy » March 12th, 2018, 12:30 pm

A lot of my commentary on this game will piss people off, but since I do that in real life even without talking about a game, here we go!

Wasteland 2 is a lot like Darkest Dungeon, not in the gameplay, but in the fact that both games are about making the most of a bad situation, people will die, and they will stay dead. Progress is made on the bones of the innocent and damned alike.

The sad irony of killing her and having somebody close to her appear aghast at your actions is one such occurrence, be it the Son or the Husband... the options are clear. Allow her to suffer to death, in vain and losing hope, or kill her and face the consequences of your mercy, the fury of those who loved them.
This is very similar to our own reality, those we love suffering in sick beds, unable to be treated, either due to old age or the severity of the symptoms... we love them, but we don't want to let them go, we don't want them to suffer either, but letting them go means they're never coming back. There is no winning situation.

In all honesty, I want to go find her and end her suffering. I wanted to do that since her first broadcast, it honestly annoyed me that it didn't have any clear relation to progress in the map as of to her location, they didn't change based on your proximity to her at all... it's making it very difficult to find her and, yes, put a bullet in her head.

I savescum a lot in this game, I won't lie about it, and yes it's technically cheating, but what is the point of playing this game a hundred times trying to figure out each pathway? It's a bit of a cheap SHOT to put me in the situations expecting me to have the answer. So I'm doing what I can along the way... and that's all you can do in this game. It's supposed to play on your emotions. It's a masterpiece... an extremely sad one at that.