A massive warning about keeping the puppy

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

A massive warning about keeping the puppy

Post by rumpelstilskin » October 18th, 2014, 4:12 pm

I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned, so here it goes. If the puppy dies, there's a chance that Pizepi will leave the party (which I think is a pretty dick move by the devs, considering how much you'd have probably invested in her by that moment). I tried to find out if there were any additional conditions that affected that, but in the end it seems to be just random with about 50% probability. Now, the puppy is pretty hard to kill, but eventually it most likely will die (at least on SJ), since it's pretty vulnerable to machine guns.

Since the dude that offered to take it in Hollywood is not talkable anymore after you refuse the first time, and neither is the puppy itself, apparently the only reliable way to keep Pizepi is to put it down, which I had to do ("putting down" sounds like a quick and respectfully solemn procedure, but due to its high evasion and HP it really wasn't). Of course, Pizepi can still leave if it happens, but at least it'll be in a tightly controlled savescum-friendly environment.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: A massive warning about keeping the puppy

Post by Drool » October 18th, 2014, 5:30 pm

rumpelstilskin wrote:If the puppy dies, there's a chance that Pizepi will leave the party
...what? Does she say anything?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » October 18th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Drool wrote:
rumpelstilskin wrote:If the puppy dies, there's a chance that Pizepi will leave the party
...what? Does she say anything?
Yep. "That... that was despicable. I... I cannot travel further with you. I'm sorry"

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 18th, 2014, 5:52 pm

That... sounds like a bug... or like a friendly fire deal. Weird.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » October 18th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Yeah, I'm starting to think that maybe it was only supposed to happen if the puppy is killed by friendly fire. I'm 100% sure that in my case she left when enemies killed it during their turn, but perhaps the puppy was caught in a friendly fire some time ago (in a different fight), and the flag was never reset.

Mallaca51
Explorer

Post by Mallaca51 » October 18th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Pizepi so far has the best lines. I loved schotchmos, but yeh he's banned from my party from now on, on the count that he shoots night terror too often.

pizepi has something to say about everything and most of the time its gold.

Ive been told Dan Q is great too but yeh.

otherunicorn
Scholar

Post by otherunicorn » November 29th, 2014, 3:27 am

Yup, she Pizepi up and left me when I shot the dog too. Or more accurately, nuked about 100 of them. Dang puppy spawning bug!

pnellesen
Acolyte

Post by pnellesen » November 5th, 2015, 8:55 am

rumpelstilskin wrote:Yeah, I'm starting to think that maybe it was only supposed to happen if the puppy is killed by friendly fire. I'm 100% sure that in my case she left when enemies killed it during their turn, but perhaps the puppy was caught in a friendly fire some time ago (in a different fight), and the flag was never reset.
I know this is a massive necro, but I'm running through the DC, and I just finished the fight with the monks in Griffith (the test before they let you go in) and the puppy got killed by one of the monks during the fight. Pizepi said the whole "that's despicable" thing and dropped group - AND kept the UMP and Gamma Ray Blaster!!1!. I do remember the puppy getting hit by friendly fire in the sewers, but I healed him up and didn't think anything else of it.

Personally, I think this is a bug UNLESS you actually deliver the killing blow. Gonna reload a save and see if I can find a way to either get rid of the puppy (dang, he's great as a distraction) or maybe dismiss Pizepi, do the fight again, and then recruit her again (I expect the dog to get killed again - he's too aggressive!)
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun

Nnnxia
Initiate

Post by Nnnxia » November 8th, 2015, 9:28 pm

There is a NPC in hollywood who will take the puppy for xp.

Macabro
Initiate

Post by Macabro » January 18th, 2016, 6:58 am

Vulture's Cry left my group because I accidentally killed her charmed goat. lol

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » January 20th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Sorry, which puppy is this? I played through with Pizepi and somehow missed it entirely.