Ideas For Themed Squads

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

crimsoncorporation
Initiate

Ideas For Themed Squads

Post by crimsoncorporation » September 4th, 2018, 3:29 am

For a while now I've had the idea of themed squads, which in my mind adds nicely to the roleplaying aspect. So for example I had these two ideas, and would love to read of any additional ones you might have.

For the four regular squad members I use the quirks for theming, and then think about companions that fit well with that theme.

The Dysfunctional Squad

Good quirks: Asshole, Opportunist, Psychopath, Two Pump Chump and Alcoholic
Good companions: Scotchmo, Ertan, Gary Wolfe, maybe Takayuki

Basically this is a squad of not very good people. It's fun if you want to go a more... evil route. Some good storyline endings to pursue might be siding with the Diamondback Militia and the Robbinsons, Hollywood has some interesting endings as well. Scotchmo is a bit of a nuisance for the Alcoholics in your squad, and I'm also a bit peeved that he doesn't have this quirk himself.

The Spiritual Squad

Good quirks: Animal Husbandry, Ascetic, Brittle Bones, Delayed Gratification, Thick Skinned
Good companions: Vulture's Cry, Corran Cain, Brother Thomas

A squad in search of deeper meanings in life, and in search of themselves. I guess Ralphy can be fit in here as well.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Re: Ideas For Themed Squads

Post by Stuurminator » September 8th, 2018, 7:17 pm

crimsoncorporation wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 3:29 am
The Spiritual Squad

Good quirks: Animal Husbandry, Ascetic, Brittle Bones, Delayed Gratification, Thick Skinned
Good companions: Vulture's Cry, Corran Cain, Brother Thomas

A squad in search of deeper meanings in life, and in search of themselves. I guess Ralphy can be fit in here as well.
Ralphy never says anything really religious that I can remember, except possibly buying into the John Henry mythology. Vulture's Cry also doesn't act very spiritual if you get her to drop the magical native American act.

Ironically, Ertan might qualify for this party, since he claims to be a Satanist - whether or not he actually understands what Satanism is, he seems genuine in his belief and that's more than most other recruits.

crimsoncorporation
Initiate

Re: Ideas For Themed Squads

Post by crimsoncorporation » September 11th, 2018, 3:21 am

Stuurminator wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 7:17 pm
Ralphy never says anything really religious that I can remember, except possibly buying into the John Henry mythology.
Yes, that's a fair objection. I was thinking of him more as a blank slate in that regard, because of his youth and the situation with his father. So you can roleplay it as a search for meaning and his place in life kind of thing.
Stuurminator wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 7:17 pm
Ironically, Ertan might qualify for this party, since he claims to be a Satanist - whether or not he actually understands what Satanism is, he seems genuine in his belief and that's more than most other recruits.
Good point. I find his quotes rather hilarious though, so to me personally it's possibly too immersion-breaking.