Diskette

Topics covering the 6502 emulator in Ranger Citadel: tutorials, specs, source code and share your work!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3272
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Diskette

Post by Gizmo » September 17th, 2014, 9:45 am

Wile wrote:This is really interesting! Too bad, that assembly code makes my head hurt, as I am spoiled by modern programming languages and how much easier they are to read compared to assembly... :( I suppose this could be good excuse to learn assembly, though!
I know of one fellow that develops 32bit/64bit Windows apps in assembler. 8-)
[Not me, but perhaps some day. I do think that I will look into the 6502 though.]

User avatar
Wile
Adventurer
Posts: 527
Joined: April 9th, 2012, 1:40 am
Location: Finland

Re: Diskette

Post by Wile » September 17th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Gizmo wrote: I know of one fellow that develops 32bit/64bit Windows apps in assembler. 8-)
[Not me, but perhaps some day. I do think that I will look into the 6502 though.]
I got no idea why someone would exclusively develop apps in assembly these days, but each to their own I guess. My main motivation in learning that language is, that I've heard it still has some usage in memory optimizing code, so I suppose knowing it could be some help in finding work. Also, I'd like to try my hand on programming for my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3272
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Diskette

Post by Gizmo » September 17th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Wile wrote:
Gizmo wrote: I know of one fellow that develops 32bit/64bit Windows apps in assembler. 8-)
[Not me, but perhaps some day. I do think that I will look into the 6502 though.]
I got no idea why someone would exclusively develop apps in assembly these days, but each to their own I guess. My main motivation in learning that language is, that I've heard it still has some usage in memory optimizing code, so I suppose knowing it could be some help in finding work. Also, I'd like to try my hand on programming for my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
He sells his App for $90, and it sells quite a lot... It seems to be his primary income.
*And it's 169kb :mrgreen:

He likes lean and mean code, as bare to the metal as possible.

fuchfe97
Novice
Posts: 43
Joined: September 5th, 2014, 4:57 am

Re: Diskette

Post by fuchfe97 » September 17th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Wile wrote:
Gizmo wrote: I know of one fellow that develops 32bit/64bit Windows apps in assembler. 8-)
[Not me, but perhaps some day. I do think that I will look into the 6502 though.]
I got no idea why someone would exclusively develop apps in assembly these days, but each to their own I guess. My main motivation in learning that language is, that I've heard it still has some usage in memory optimizing code, so I suppose knowing it could be some help in finding work. Also, I'd like to try my hand on programming for my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
He sells his App for $90, and it sells quite a lot... It seems to be his primary income.
*And it's 169kb :mrgreen:

He likes lean and mean code, as bare to the metal as possible.
90 Dollars for 170kb! So almost $2 per kb... If we extrapolate that to WL2... x to the power of *mumble* divided by the number of *mumble* *mumble*. Comes to a lot!

Glad I backed the Kickstarter. Seems a lot cheaper :P

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5700
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Diskette

Post by Woolfe » September 17th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Gizmo wrote:He sells his App for $90, and it sells quite a lot... It seems to be his primary income.
*And it's 169kb :mrgreen:

He likes lean and mean code, as bare to ... s possible.
This .... as much as development is easier nowadays we have lost a lot of the efficiencies that gave that lean mean code.

I had fun with Assembly type coding in Uni. But I couldn't image trying to do anything in it nowadays. Altho maybe if I had of kept down that stream instead of going the support route?....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest