Diskette

Topics covering the 6502 emulator in Ranger Citadel: tutorials, specs, source code and share your work!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Diskette

Post by Gizmo » September 17th, 2014, 9:45 am

Wile wrote:This is really interesting! Too bad, that assembly code makes my head hurt, as I am spoiled by modern programming languages and how much easier they are to read compared to assembly... :( I suppose this could be good excuse to learn assembly, though!
I know of one fellow that develops 32bit/64bit Windows apps in assembler. 8-)
[Not me, but perhaps some day. I do think that I will look into the 6502 though.]

Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile » September 17th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Gizmo wrote: I know of one fellow that develops 32bit/64bit Windows apps in assembler. 8-)
[Not me, but perhaps some day. I do think that I will look into the 6502 though.]
I got no idea why someone would exclusively develop apps in assembly these days, but each to their own I guess. My main motivation in learning that language is, that I've heard it still has some usage in memory optimizing code, so I suppose knowing it could be some help in finding work. Also, I'd like to try my hand on programming for my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 17th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Wile wrote:
Gizmo wrote: I know of one fellow that develops 32bit/64bit Windows apps in assembler. 8-)
I got no idea why someone would exclusively develop apps in assembly these days, but each to their own I guess. My main motivation in learning that language is, that I've heard it still has some usage in memory optimizing code, so I suppose knowing it could be some help in finding work. Also, I'd like to try my hand on programming for my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
He sells his App for $90, and it sells quite a lot... It seems to be his primary income.
*And it's 169kb :mrgreen:

He likes lean and mean code, as bare to the metal as possible.

fuchfe97
Novice

Post by fuchfe97 » September 17th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Wile wrote:
He sells his App for $90, and it sells quite a lot... It seems to be his primary income.

He likes lean and mean code, as bare to the metal as possible.
90 Dollars for 170kb! So almost $2 per kb... If we extrapolate that to WL2... x to the power of *mumble* divided by the number of *mumble* *mumble*. Comes to a lot!

Glad I backed the Kickstarter. Seems a lot cheaper :P

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 17th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Gizmo wrote:He sells his App for $90, and it sells quite a lot... It seems to be his primary income.

He likes lean and mean code, as bare to ... s possible.
This .... as much as development is easier nowadays we have lost a lot of the efficiencies that gave that lean mean code.

I had fun with Assembly type coding in Uni. But I couldn't image trying to do anything in it nowadays. Altho maybe if I had of kept down that stream instead of going the support route?....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!