Alternative portraits for last castoff

Community created content (fanart, fanfictions) for Torment: Tides of Numenera (Numenera art/fiction also welcome).

Moderator: Memovira Goons

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Re: Alternative portraits for last castoff

Post by anonymous6059 » March 10th, 2017, 7:05 pm

eNTi wrote:Even after the change (in the OP) I can't tell if the person in the picture is male or female. I suppose that's what is actually going on with that portrait. It's some androgyny character. I know transgender politics are all the rage nowadays. I just wished people would stop forcing their agendas on me in games I'm trying to enjoy as a straight male that wants nothing to do with that culture. Its not as if the game was built around that premise or something. I suppose since this game purports itself as "artsy" it had to incorporate this or they wanted to save money by having a one style fits all picture.

On the other hand the voiceover is such a break with the style of the original portrait it almost feels like a caricature.
When star wars the mary sue awakens came out I felt the exact same way. Star Wars wasn't like that originally. I felt like they were just making sweeping changes to please society. With that said, I don't feel like that is true here. Numenera's setting makes it clear that homosexuality & transexuality exist in the ninth world. You will find men and women of all colors in the setting and they won't be overtly masculine or feminine. The men are scrawny and the women are too. You won't find a muscle bound Conan or a Bikini armor clad Red Sonja either. That is just the setting. So I think it is very unfair for you to blame Inxile for this problem. It is how the setting was designed from the very beginning by Monte Cook and Shanna Germain.

I do absolutely hate the current portrait though. I just really don't know what would be a better choice. I think Inxile was doing their best to be true to the setting. If you look at Numenera artwork you'll see that.
Is the one on the far right a boy or girl? That's Numenera!! ;)

NikitaDarkstar
Initiate

Post by NikitaDarkstar » March 10th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Personally I wish the 3D model of the character matched the portrait art better (even if it's a kind of boring portrait but i can live with that), but if we could maybe not have bright (orange'ish?) hair on a character that's supposedly dark haired that'd be nice.

Corylea
Initiate

Post by Corylea » March 11th, 2017, 12:27 am

Edvin696 wrote: If you want to use this or any other portrait, then you must:

1. Get the Unity Asset Bundle Extractor tool (UABE)
2. Open resources.assets in WIN/TidesOfNumenera_Data folder inside your Steam TTON game folder
3. Find textures Portrait-LCO_Male and Portrait-LCO_Male and extract them as tga using the Plugins button on the right
4. Edit the textures in your preferred graphic editor
5. Import the new textures to replace the old one using the "edit" Plugin in UABE
6. Save the changes resources.assets (this will create a new file sharedassets4.assets)
7. Replace the original sharedassets4.assets file (located in the same folder as resources.assets) with your new sharedassets4.assets
8. Play the Game with your new portrait
Thank you SO much for posting how to fix this! I love being able to use whatever portrait I want.

Firkraag wrote:How well should this work for GOG version?
I have the GOG version, and it worked fine for me.

Recognize anybody below?

Yes, some of us can't let go of our Baldur's Gate characters. ;)

If you want her, here's the picture:

eNTi
Scholar

Post by eNTi » March 11th, 2017, 12:41 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
eNTi wrote:Even after the change (in the OP) I can't tell if the person in the picture is male or female. I suppose that's what is actually going on with that portrait. It's some androgyny character. I know transgender politics are all the rage nowadays. I just wished people would stop forcing their agendas on me in games I'm trying to enjoy as a straight male that wants nothing to do with that culture. Its not as if the game was built around that premise or something. I suppose since this game purports itself as "artsy" it had to incorporate this or they wanted to save money by having a one style fits all picture.

On the other hand the voiceover is such a break with the style of the original portrait it almost feels like a caricature.
When star wars the mary sue awakens came out I felt the exact same way. Star Wars wasn't like that originally. I felt like they were just making sweeping changes to please society. With that said, I don't feel like that is true here. Numenera's setting makes it clear that homosexuality & transexuality exist in the ninth world. You will find men and women of all colors in the setting and they won't be overtly masculine or feminine. The men are scrawny and the women are too. You won't find a muscle bound Conan or a Bikini armor clad Red Sonja either. That is just the setting. So I think it is very unfair for you to blame Inxile for this problem. It is how the setting was designed from the very beginning by Monte Cook and Shanna Germain.

I do absolutely hate the current portrait though. I just really don't know what would be a better choice. I think Inxile was doing their best to be true to the setting. If you look at Numenera artwork you'll see that.
Well if it catered to society I would be content. In my opinion it caters to a very small but very vocal minority. It doesn't cater to me. So am I not part of society? I do understand the need to be... original (like in PST). I don't understand the need to pander to a small minority I (and actually most people I know) can't and won't identify with.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 11th, 2017, 6:45 am

eNTi wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:

Well if it catered to society I would be content. In my opinion it caters to a very small but very vocal minority. It doesn't cater to me. So am I not part of society? I do understand the need to be... original (like in PST). I don't understand the need to pander to a small minority I (and actually most people I know) can't and won't identify with.
Okay maybe "society" isn't the right word. I don't know how big those groups are, but I was basically reiteraging what you'd said, "it is all the rage nowadays". I understand that it doesn't cater to you. It doesn't cater to lots of people. The thing is you backed this game knowing it was using the Numenera setting. If you look at the setting you'd realize that Shanna Germain does in fact have an agenda. The Setting supports homosexuality, transgenders, mulit-racial characters, and strong independant female roles.

If this was a direct sequal of Planescape you'd have a much stronger case. Inxile would have intentionally changed the setting to please these culturely popular minorities. This kind of stuff happend in the new Baldur's Gate Dragonspear or in the new star wars movies. That to me isn't okay. You don't just change a fiction universe to keep up with the times. However, that isn't the case here. Numenera came out in 2013 and from the beginning has always shown itself to be up to date with "society" or whatever.

Numenera is supposed to be weird. I personally imagine that it would have a even broader and stranger list of acceptable forms of sexuality. It is supposed to be a strange world where almost everything goes. Side Note: I've seen studies that support the idea that men and women will look more alike in the future. I couldn't find them but here is something that shows how fashion might be moving in that direction at least: https://www.bustle.com/articles/149928- ... ury-photos

Hope that helps to explain why.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 11th, 2017, 8:05 am

eNTi wrote:In my opinion it caters to a very small but very vocal minority. It doesn't cater to me. So am I not part of society? I do understand the need to be... original (like in PST). I don't understand the need to pander to a small minority I (and actually most people I know) can't and won't identify with.
You and your friends don't represent the majority either. Not everyone thinks that all men (in every setting!) are big caucasian lumberjacks and/or football players. If you honestly can't tell the gender of the portraits, learn something about bone structure and facial proportions.

Anyway, this thread shows you how to change the portrait to an Aryan superman or whatever you want.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 11th, 2017, 10:35 am

Couldn't resist.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

rapsam2003
Initiate

Post by rapsam2003 » March 12th, 2017, 9:51 pm

This is what I mocked up. I know it looks a little dark, but it looks good in-game. The tattoo came from http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/6d3e9a ... 888bd3.jpg. And I mocked up the scar, since there are references to the scar in actual dialogue.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 13th, 2017, 4:52 am

rapsam2003 wrote:This is what I mocked up. I know it looks a little dark, but it looks good in-game. The tattoo came from http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/6d3e9a ... 888bd3.jpg. And I mocked up the scar, since there are references to the scar in actual dialogue.

The scar and the tattoo are the same thing. My guess is that the tattoo must have been added after The Changing God grows his test tube children or however he makes them. If you'd remove the scar I'd happily use that. Good job.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » March 13th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Yea, these look much better.

Anyone has any good alternative portraits for Erritis?

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » March 13th, 2017, 3:14 pm

I've just extracted some portraits to see up close. And, man, they're so cringe-worthy bad, lmao. Adult Rhin takes the first place, followed up by young Rhin and Erritis:

It looks like some very bad Photoshop hack job. I can just *facepalm* at this. Couldn't Inxile have hired someone from Obsidian artists? They make much better portraits.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 13th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Aramintai wrote:I've just extracted some portraits to see up close....
I hate to beg, but could you please explain how to do that or drop me a link so I can learn how? Please?
I'm trying to learn how to extract the mere artwork or the artwork from when you die, stuff like that.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » March 13th, 2017, 8:04 pm

anonymous6059 wrote:
Aramintai wrote:I've just extracted some portraits to see up close....
I hate to beg, but could you please explain how to do that or drop me a link so I can learn how? Please?
I'm trying to learn how to extract the mere artwork or the artwork from when you die, stuff like that.
Just follow the steps 1-3 in OP's original post if you want portraits. I'm not sure you can extract other artwork though.

deus_ex
Initiate

Post by deus_ex » March 14th, 2017, 8:13 am

Aramintai wrote:Anyone has any good alternative portraits for Erritis?

Yes, a bad photoshop hack job as you put it. Not by me though. It's the best out there by far though lol. Seriously whats that glow around you? :D

TheSnarkyShaman
Initiate

Post by TheSnarkyShaman » March 16th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Are you kidding me?

So now it's the fault of the gay agenda that the portraits for a video game aren't to your taste? I can't even go on a video game forum in a topic that has NOTHING to do with gender identity without running into this stupidity.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 16th, 2017, 6:14 pm

TheSnarkyShaman wrote:Are you kidding me?

So now it's the fault of the gay agenda that the portraits for a video game aren't to your taste? I can't even go on a video game forum in a topic that has NOTHING to do with gender identity without running into this stupidity.
Stupidity and humans go hand in hand.

eNTi
Scholar

Post by eNTi » March 17th, 2017, 12:57 am

...and yet you go out of your way looking for this "stupidity"? You even took the time to respond and give it more exposure. So by all rates you are taking part in this "stupidity" and thus propagate it. If there was no issue this thread would have never cropped up to be honest.

Do you think the portrait is male or female? This vagueness could be merely coincidence of course or it is deliberate. So far there is no official word on that. It seems that some people have a problem with this approach and want clearly defined features for their avatar. It's not creativity but either pandering or being controversial for the sake of controversy in my eyes. It is after all all the rage at the moment.

rapsam2003
Initiate

Post by rapsam2003 » March 17th, 2017, 1:38 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
rapsam2003 wrote:This is what I mocked up. I know it looks a little dark, but it looks good in-game. The tattoo came from http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/6d3e9a ... 888bd3.jpg. And I mocked up the scar, since there are references to the scar in actual dialogue.

The scar and the tattoo are the same thing. My guess is that the tattoo must have been added after The Changing God grows his test tube children or however he makes them. If you'd remove the scar I'd happily use that. Good job.
I mean...that's fine, but the fact it's in dialogue and all the other portraits have a scar...it's very implied that your character is scarred. But thanks.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 17th, 2017, 1:45 am

eNTi wrote:...and yet you go out of your way looking for this "stupidity"? You even took the time to respond and give it more exposure. So by all rates you are taking part in this "stupidity" and thus propagate it. If there was no issue this thread would have never cropped up to be honest.

Do you think the portrait is male or female? This vagueness could be merely coincidence of course or it is deliberate. So far there is no official word on that. It seems that some people have a problem with this approach and want clearly defined features for their avatar. It's not creativity but either pandering or being controversial for the sake of controversy in my eyes. It is after all all the rage at the moment.
Could you elaborate, please, what you were trying to achieve with that comment, exactly?

eNTi
Scholar

Post by eNTi » March 17th, 2017, 1:50 am

Firkraag wrote:
eNTi wrote:...and yet you go out of your way looking for this "stupidity"? You even took the time to respond and give it more exposure. So by all rates you are taking part in this "stupidity" and thus propagate it. If there was no issue this thread would have never cropped up to be honest.

Could you elaborate, please, what you were trying to achieve with that comment, exactly?
I am merely defending myself against accusations of stupidity for my opinion. I've said everything I wanted to say on this issue in this thread. If you want to talk about this further we can do this via pm since this has gone far too off topic really.