Party member suggestions for the inevitable expansion

Community created content (fanart, fanfictions) for Torment: Tides of Numenera (Numenera art/fiction also welcome).

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Henrikwakman
Initiate

Party member suggestions for the inevitable expansion

Post by Henrikwakman » March 10th, 2016, 10:04 am

Hi!

It's nice to know a follow-up to Torment is almost out there. Would it be fun if I posted some character/party member suggestions? Or is that legally frowned upon?

Henri

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: Party member suggestions for the inevitable expansion

Post by Lord of Riva » March 10th, 2016, 11:01 am

Henrikwakman wrote:Hi!

It's nice to know a follow-up to Torment is almost out there. Would it be fun if I posted some character/party member suggestions? Or is that legally frowned upon?

Henri
no it should be fine.

However we only know about a few members so far.

Tybirn and Aligern are totally op (in the first version not sure if they changed balance) and as Callistege cant be taken if you have Aligern she didnt make it into the group. Then there is Matkina as you can have 4 people in your group thats all there is to it currently :P

Henrikwakman
Initiate

Post by Henrikwakman » March 10th, 2016, 11:13 am

A cyborg with a lingering human side that constantly combats the cruel agenda (it was designed as a ruthless killing machine) of its technical programming. As the game progresses more and more of its dormant code is unlocked, making for a more destructive but also more dangerously volatile companion, for at times, the machine is beyond control, attacking party members. Upgrades can be unlocked from ‘ancient’ mainframes. The human fighting machine is conflicted about its  nature and its lost humanity and experiences guilt concerning its murderous ‘alter ego’. In the end, its last shred humanity is doomed to become lost as it realizes the machine replaces its neural matter with artificial replacements. In a final act of humanity, it sacrifices itself for the player, thanking him for his friendship.

-

A materialized trauma, being the collective memories of a large group of people who suffered and died in beastly circumstances. A female ghostlike apparition,  sparse in words and fine-featured, is inhabited by a succession of souls, each which separate name, stats and class. Ultimately, the trauma is relieved through reaching the location of the original atrocity, reliving the ordeals and confronting the wrongdoers.

-

A flamboyant character with a severe drug addiction (to something called Cerulean Hope), which provides a specific mental prowess resulting in a singular spellcasting ability. For each additional spell level the character sacrifices constitution and health. Past a certain level there is no way to stop the moral and physical decay, the player must decide. As the game progresses it becomes apparent that the character was a victim of circumstance, having coped with quite painful experiences. At rare occasions, the usual flair and bravado makes place for repentance and remorse, and a despondency stemming from (intellectual) loneliness. In the end, (s)he takes responsibility for her/his actions. 'Sometimes a hero is nothing more than a man struggling against the current of his own downfall' is a theme.

-

A person or creature revealing itself to be a divine manifestation, born from the Ether to appease a casual curiosity. The nature of the Deity is quite capricious, changing the stats or sex or number of limbs or adding a tail, or turning the creature into a Teddy Bear for a while just for laughs. There might arise a conflict with other party members, because the God is occasionally wicked or cruel. Sometimes it can offer a solution to a problem via a Deus Ex Machina turn (under certain conditions its godlike power can be invoked). Maybe the person or creature is aware that it is a dreamlike effigy, and possibly it falls in love with life and the player character and henceforward fears to disappear on a whim. ‘Such is life’, the player character comments near the end, ‘we are all dust carried by the wind, unable to cling to coarse matter, prey to grief and disease and death. Revel in the beauty of the journey, be borne by good memories in times of strife, and fear not the destination, for beyond the dark veil lies unity and peace.’ Upon these words the clasped, loving hand of the Divine expression turns to dust, followed by the rest of her, her residue scattered across the winds.

I have a couple more, but these concepts I liked.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 10th, 2016, 11:25 am

ahh i see i misunderstood you there. still nobody can have anything against suggestions. im pretty sure the Party members for the game are already designed though.

Henrikwakman
Initiate

Post by Henrikwakman » March 10th, 2016, 11:41 am

Maybe for the sequel, but it's mostly just the written equivalent of doodling:)

Henrikwakman
Initiate

Post by Henrikwakman » March 13th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Meeting Stevenson, an anthropic annihilator unit, used for blasting the hungry mobs attacking production facilities. An older prototype, still retaining an unfortunate amount of the original neural tissue of the specimens used for construction.

As you approach the fallen security android, which was quite damaged in the recent confrontation, you hear sparks crackling and oddly enough, a garbled mumbling. You realize it is trying to speak.

CONTINUE

‘What.. I register a breach in the main protocol. Switching to auxiliary protocol DEHUMANIZE-2. There. Much better. I—where am I?’

CONTINUE

The artificial humanoid turns its attention to you, blinking in sudden wonder like a new-born infant. ‘Hi, I suppose I need to point out to you that unnecessary human elements shall be forcibly removed. But I think my coding has been compromised in the attack. I no longer feel the usual urge to destroy, so I suppose your presence here is without lethal consequence.’

1 – Who are you. Or better yet, what are you?

2 – [tech savvy] I recognize you from Tech history class, you’re one of the early model Thanotec security protocol robots. Ancient junk. I’m amazed such a prehistoric model still functions, but they did built better quality in the old days.’

3 – You are aware that you tried to kill me earlier, right?

4 –  That’s wonderful. Have a nice day.

For some reason I find myself typing dialogue trees for imagined games at work. If ever any MOD developers need some slightly above average writing (I hope, fingers crossed), email me at henrikwakman@hotmail.com

Neuromancer
Initiate

Post by Neuromancer » March 16th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Even though we can't directly name our cast-off.. and there aren't any "bounty Hunter-types in the game yet..."

I've nicknamed my jack.... Barnabas Jax.... Silly name I know. ... Maybe I'll be sober enough to attempt a backstory for him some day.....This character is quite a bit more tormented than most ;)