Torment ToN Inspiration Thread

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Sciborg9000
Initiate

Torment ToN Inspiration Thread

Post by Sciborg9000 » April 18th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Basically stuff you think might be worth influencing the game:

1. Nowhere Men and Manhattan Projects from Image - these comics have some cool ideas on how science is seen by scientists, as well as some cool Sci-Fi stuff. For example, in Nowhere Men you have "Science is the new Rock and Roll". Four guys who look like some reincarnation of some old awesome band working to save the world.

One idea that would be interesting from there was a virus that causes different changes to people, giving them varied mutations akin to the X-men.

Manhatten Projects actually has a cannibal who takes knowledge from his victims, along with FDR living on as an AI, alliances between Nazi, Russian, and American scientists.

2. I've spent a good bit of time working in public health. One thing I worked on was 911 registries for the DC area - so if you're a disabled kid or kid on various meds, EMTs know about it before an emergency.

Wouldn't there be stuff like that in the Ninth World? Not just the usual magic items, but improvements in communication which would drastically improve society from being just medieval?

p.s. Info on various 911 registries in the US, including the aforementioned DC area one, can be found here with other health info, definitely share:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NFC ... K8qWA/edit

3. Ink is probably the best indie fantasy movie I've ever seen, as well as being one of my top fantasy movies over all. Don't want to give away too much, but it involves traveling through dreams and touches on the idea of being Tormented.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGeErufQdY

Sciborg9000
Initiate

Re: Torment ToN Inspiration Thread

Post by Sciborg9000 » April 20th, 2013, 4:57 pm

The Most Astounding Fact - Neil deGrasse Tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... D05ej8u-gU#!

"Yes, we are part of this universe. We are in this universe.

But perhaps more important than both of those facts, the universe is in us."

Sciborg9000
Initiate

Post by Sciborg9000 » April 28th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Here's a link to the Planescape Inspiration Thread since the two settings have some overlap:

(I linked to page 5 because it is a good representative sample, more so than the first page)

agris
Novice

Post by agris » April 29th, 2013, 6:35 am

Neverwhere by Neil Gaimon reminded me of PS:T (I was playing it concurrent with reading the book). The plot structure between the two is quite different, but the lore and environment were very reminiscent of PS:T and hopefully ToN. The entire concept of 'doors' instantly reminded me of portals in sigil, and the way that the underground was connected and how it appeared to be alive was also very reminiscent of PST

For those who haven't read it but are interested, I'll put the details at the bottom.

I don't think I've done the book justice in how evocative of the Planescape setting and tone it is, but maybe someone else who has read it will get what I'm saying.

• The rat people, and their communication with and worship of rats
  • The inhuman strength, sadism, rat-eating appetite and lifespans of Mr. Croupe and Vandemar
  • The Earl, and how he held his court on on a subway train car
  • People in London Underground were very much scavengers and barterers. Do to the dense urban setting of London, and how Gaimon has a knack for the macabre, this contributed greatly to the setting feeling similar to PST
  • 'Magic' is infrequent, poorly understood and feared. A quail age, smashed by a fireplace fork, resurrects a man.
  • The twisting labyrinth following 'Down Street', which is in itself is a tower thousands of feet tall located at the bottom of an old house off an alleyway.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » April 29th, 2013, 7:04 am

Eventhough its set in the Planescape-setting i think it could inspire something to ToN:
Troy Denning : Pages of Pain.

I liked it very much.
Perhaps something worth looking at.

Sciborg9000
Initiate

Post by Sciborg9000 » May 1st, 2013, 2:22 pm

Neverwhere and Pages of Pain are both great suggestions!

Also, let me suggest the Weird Fiction Review:

http://weirdfictionreview.com/

Just bringing the essence of the New Weird, which encompasses but transcends Lovecraft, would make this a rather interesting if not fairly original cRPG!

Sciborg9000
Initiate

Post by Sciborg9000 » May 7th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Image Comics Prophet Restart:

http://www.imagecomics.com/search/?q=prophet

Mazhlekov
Novice

Post by Mazhlekov » May 25th, 2013, 11:44 am

The last one image is great.
Sadly, such scope of imagination is very rare amongst the games this days, I hope to see it in ToN...

Sciborg9000
Initiate

Post by Sciborg9000 » June 5th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Some of the apps mentioned in a message sent to me about emergency preparedness technology actually seem like they'd make for useful Numenera:

"Someone I was working with on some healthcare projects sent me some info on apps that can assist in an emergency, figured I'd pass the word on:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7fiozzj76 ... Latest.pdf

Planning on making a website for these resources, but for now just continually updating this google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Nf ... Xq2h0/edit

Please share with anyone you think might benefit, whether directly or because they work with communities who might benefit."

Sciborg9000
Initiate

Post by Sciborg9000 » June 8th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Heh, courtesy of the Sopranos:

Burroughs' "Seven Souls" meditation.

The ancient Egyptians postulated Seven Souls.

Top soul, and the first to leave at the moment of death, is Ren, the Secret Name. This corresponds to my Director. He directs the film of your life from conception to death. The Secret Name is the title of your film. When you die, that's where Ren came in.

Second soul, and second one off the sinking ship, is Sekem: Energy, Power, Light. The Director gives the orders, Sekem presses the right buttons.

Number three is Khu, the Guardian Angel. He, she, or it is third man out...depicted as flying away across a full moon, a bird with luminous wings and head of light. Sort of thing you might see on a screen in an Indian restaurant in Panama. The Khu is responsible for the subject and can be injured in his defense -- but not permanently, since the first three souls are eternal. They go back to Heaven for another vessel.

The four remaining souls must take their chances with the subject in the Land of the Dead.

Number four is Ba, the heart -- often treacherous. This is a hawk's body with your face on it, shrunk down to the size of a fist. Many a hero has been brought down, like Samson, by a perfidious Ba.

Number five is Ka, the Double, most closely associated with the subject. The Ka, which usually reaches adolescence at the time of bodily death, is the only reliable guide through the Land of the Dead to the Western Lands.

Number six is Khaibit, the Shadow, Memory, your whole past conditioning from this and other lives.

Number seven is Sekhu, the Remains.

BlackGauntlet
Explorer

Post by BlackGauntlet » January 15th, 2014, 10:44 pm

cerhat
Initiate

Post by cerhat » October 7th, 2014, 12:26 am

Reading the vision document for the game, I can't wait to see how they reference things like Last and First Men, Book of the New sun / Short sun. Actually I hope for more Short Sun type behind-the-scenes super technology.

A pretty great book about humans fighting against entropy at the end of the universe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_at_the_End_of_Time

Also love Greg Bear's Hull 03 - an automated ship that grows humans customized for survival in different environments.

Schild's Ladder (greg egan) - obviously you replace any real life technical terms with the appropriate magical flobotinum.
Cass dated the advent of civilisation to the invention of the quantum singleton processor. The Qusp. She accepted the fact that she couldn’t entirely avoid splitting into multiple versions; interacting with any ordinary object around her gave rise to an entangled system — Cass plus cloud, Cass plus flower — and she could never hope to prevent the parts that lay outside her from entering superpositions of different classical outcomes, generating versions of her who witnessed different external events.

Unlike her hapless ancestors, though, she did not contribute to the process herself. While the Qusp inside her skull performed its computations, it was isolated from the wider world — a condition lasting just microseconds at a time, but rigidly enforced for the duration — only breaking quarantine when its state vector described one outcome, with certainty. With each operating cycle, the Qusp rotated a vector describing a single alternative into another with the same property, and though the path between the two necessarily included superpositions of many alternatives, only the final, definite state determined her actions.

Being a singleton meant that her decisions counted. She was not forced to give birth to a multitude of selves, each responding in a different way, every time she found her conscience or her judgement balanced on a knife-edge. She was not at all what Homo sapiens had actually been, but she was close to what they’d believed themselves to be, for most of their history: a creature of choice, capable of doing one thing and not another.

Larva
Novice

Post by Larva » November 13th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Fictrix
Initiate

Post by Fictrix » February 19th, 2015, 3:04 am

I've been reading this lately:
It Wasn't Always Ruins

Another Masker, bearing the Mask of Those Who Keep The Past, speaks

The wastes you see stretching out towards the end of darkness were not always so. It was once a place of mechanical marvels where the streets flowed with life and hummed with progress. Here, all about us, stood a city; tall buildings rose into the sky, illuminated not by the reddish anger of the sun, but by electrical lights that glittered like stars. Food was bountiful, harvested and sold in gigantic cooled bazaars; small light-boxes glowed with life, and mechanical chariots called "autos" traveled the black-tops. And there were books. Every subject had its book, and there, yes there, lies the real history of humanity. Now, nothing exists except echoes, fading words spoken by monstrosities that claim to love their followers, "their children", and the howls of beasts that roam the ruins. We live in an endless winter of ignorance, but things were not always so.

How the End happened, nobody knows. Was it some sort of biblical apocalypse, a natural calamity, who knows? And yet, things fell apart. Some say that one morning humanity awoke and thought it was alone: no vengeful god to punish us, no divine judgement day; just the weight of reality and the banality of existence. Alone in an endless universe, the hubris of it all.

In truth, I think humanity died long before that fateful morning, like some rough beast forever slouching towards its death, carried by the intertia and momentum of pride and folly. The only sin we committed was thinking that all this, all the machines and lights were going to last forever. In our foolishness we forgot that the darkness in our hearts would never be extinguished. So when the clocks stopped that morning, and the lights flickered and then vanished forever, humanity lashed out against itself and gave birth to an evil that made our ancestors' worst fears come to life.
It's not Numenera, but aspects of it certainly fit:
  • The wonder of rediscovering the past
  • The urge to create and preserve legacies
  • Old technology that may as well be magic (though this setting actually has magic, but as the saying goes, they're indistinguishable)
  • An imperfect and dangerous world where nothing is what it seems
  • Philosophical musings on the human condition
It's Dream Pod 9's Tribe 8 campaign setting.

Vonotar
Initiate

Post by Vonotar » February 3rd, 2016, 5:48 am

I love the Numenera setting! The possibilities are endless. As far as other works that could play well in this sandbox...

I keep seeing the city of New Crobuzon from China Miéville's Bas-Lag books and Ambergris from Jeff Vandermeer's City of Saints and Madmen. More than any other recent authors, these guys kind of embody the New Weird type of stories that blow my mind.
Other things that rock in the same thread are The Court of the Air (The whole Jackelian series, in fact) by Stephen Hunt and the inimitable Imajica by Clive Barker.

MRY
Novice

Post by MRY » February 3rd, 2016, 9:52 am

In addition to Wolfe's New Sun and pretty much all of Vance's works, I very strongly recommended Harrison's Viriconium books. I would actually start with Viriconium Nights to maximize the strangeness. Here's a sampling from the first book -- it's definitely a bit on the purple side.
In the water thickets, the path wound tortuously between umber iron bogs, albescent quicksands of aluminum and magnesium oxides, and sumps of cuprous blue or permanganate mauve fed by slow, gelid streams and fringed by silver reeds and tall black grasses. The twisted, smooth-barked boles of the trees were yellow-ocher and burnt orange; through their tightly woven foliage filtered a gloomy, tinted light. At their roots grew great clumps of multifaceted transulcent crystal like alien fungi.

Charcoal gray frogs with viridescent eyes croaked as the column floundered between the pools. Beneath the greasy surface of the water, unidentifiable reptiles moved slowly and sinuously. Dragonflies whose webby wings spanned a foot or more hummed and hovered between the sedges: their long, wicked bodies glittered bold green and ultramarine; they took their prey on the wing, pouncing with an audible snap of jaws on whining ephemeral mosquitoes and fluttering moths of April blue and chevrolet cerise.

Over everything hung the heavy, oppressive stench of rotting metal. After an hour, Cromis's mouth was coated with a bitter deposit, and he tasted acids. He found it difficult to speak. While his horse stumbled and slithered beneath him, he gazed about in wonder, and poetry moved in his skull, swift as the jeweled mosquito hawks over a dark slow current of ancient decay.
Writer on Torment: Tides of Numenera
Writer / Designer on Primordia

My posts express my own views, not those of inXile Entertainment or Wormwood Studios.