Spoiler, ending review

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Toztabud
Initiate

Spoiler, ending review

Post by Toztabud » September 29th, 2018, 1:09 am

Sorry. I didn't get much of a chance to read the rules, so I don't know if my post to that other thread would be acceptable. I've been on other forums and often their differences in protocol confuse me. Anyway. if what I did was wrong, here is my post in a new thread:

I just purchased this game, thinking it would be a good game, but I just found out that the ending is bad. I'm probably not going to finish it.

IMHO, a gold ending should at least show some sympathy for those lost. Not everything goes our way in life, but it has a funny way of turning out for the best. In my country, Australia, the game was rated PG. Now, even though I'm an adult, I don't ever play MA+ games -- and very rarely M games -- but seeing the game's endings online makes the game seem mentally disturbing.

Ultimately, they should either have made The Sorrow the bad guy, thus defeating it should give a reasonably happy ending, or made a way for these castoffs to atone for what they did. It's a real downer, if you ask me.

janos666
Initiate

Re: Spoiler, ending review

Post by janos666 » October 1st, 2018, 9:25 pm

Toztabud wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 1:09 am
I just purchased this game, thinking it would be a good game, but I just found out that the ending is bad. I'm probably not going to finish it.
Why did you feel the need to spoil it for yourself?
Toztabud wrote:
IMHO, a gold ending should at least show some sympathy for those lost.
I don't see why you think it doesn't. Pain, suffering, horror, death... I think these were all communicated in a rather "socially normal" way. The Numenera world is fairly dark, cruel and full of ... ehhh ... torment? (Supposedly.) But I don't think it's psychopathic. It's emotions are in line with "ours" (at least what most people pretend to commonly consider normal, that is).

I think it was meant to be morally agnostic (since officially, it tried to be). So, one might think that the people who feel the game should have pointed out the "right" emotions for them could be insecure about their conscience (whether they are sociopaths or not).
Toztabud wrote:
Not everything goes our way in life, but it has a funny way of turning out for the best.
Since you already spoiled the ending: for me, the most emotionally challenging part of the game was probably the girl you can virtually adapt or dump and I think her story turned out for the best in my gameplay. I am not sure if I did anything else right but I am fairly sure I did my best for her and it seemed to be enough. (It's not like I didn't try with others but... I am the kind who doesn't even want to "fix" himself in real life, so I guess they were doomed in the moment I started the campaign and the girl just got lucky. :lol:)
Toztabud wrote:
seeing the game's endings online makes the game seem mentally disturbing.
Mentally or emotionally?
Toztabud wrote:
Ultimately, they should either have made The Sorrow the bad guy, thus defeating it should give a reasonably happy ending, or made a way for these castoffs to atone for what they did. It's a real downer, if you ask me.
Sounds like you want a copy-paste story with the usual Hallywoo template. I think you came to the wrong place but that might turn out for the best for you yet (as you say). :)

I think you should just give it a clean slate and see for yourself what it truly is in it's entirety. "Don't judge the book by the cover"... or the last page.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » October 2nd, 2018, 6:38 am

You realize there are multiple endings, or no? I consider The Sorrow a "bad guy" myself, but that is just my perspective. Perhaps you should actually play through the game before jumping to conclusions about the ending and how it should be.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » October 3rd, 2018, 4:03 am

Jozape wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 6:38 am
The Sorrow a "bad guy"
I think Sorrow is probably a fairly bad AI with a limited capacity to make moral judgements of its actions and behavior. I'm not sure Sorrow could properly contextualize the morality in a way humans can.

As if an algorythm, that can "understand" a person by their likes were put into courtroom as a judge.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None