[End spoiler] Why isn't this ending a "proper" ending?

For discussing Torment's story as it slowly gets unveiled, as well as discussing the game's setting. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

bernalex
Initiate

[End spoiler] Why isn't this ending a "proper" ending?

Post by bernalex » March 25th, 2017, 5:23 am

Why is the red tide "I reject your authority"-ending a game over, rather than a "proper" ending? I thought it was a brilliant idea. Real shame picking that to my satisfaction, and having said satisfaction instantly revoked, when I realised I needed to reload and "properly" finish the game.

Hawke64
Novice

Re: [End spoiler] Why isn't this ending a "proper" ending?

Post by Hawke64 » March 26th, 2017, 2:08 pm

bernalex wrote:
March 25th, 2017, 5:23 am
Why is the red tide "I reject your authority"-ending a game over, rather than a "proper" ending? I thought it was a brilliant idea. Real shame picking that to my satisfaction, and having said satisfaction instantly revoked, when I realised I needed to reload and "properly" finish the game.
Protagonist's survival depends on the answer, you choose, being in accordance with your dominant Tides. Using the Changing God's knowledge helps too, but it's harder.

Althernai
Initiate

Post by Althernai » March 27th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Hawke64 wrote:
March 26th, 2017, 2:08 pm
Protagonist's survival depends on the answer, you choose, being in accordance with your dominant Tides. Using the Changing God's knowledge helps too, but it's harder.
The problem is that in a situation where there is no outcome that satisfies everyone, it is possible to match most motivations to most actions. For example, if your compassion is mainly for the castoffs, stopping the Sorrow makes sense even though it will harm others.

How do you use the Changing God's knowledge?

Hawke64
Novice

Post by Hawke64 » March 27th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Althernai wrote:
March 27th, 2017, 2:20 pm
The problem is that in a situation where there is no outcome that satisfies everyone, it is possible to match most motivations to most actions. For example, if your compassion is mainly for the castoffs, stopping the Sorrow makes sense even though it will harm others.

How do you use the Changing God's knowledge?
You need to convince the Specter to give it to you. Then to use it in the final dialogue (the option sounds just like that).

Althernai
Initiate

Post by Althernai » March 27th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Hawke64 wrote:
March 27th, 2017, 3:57 pm
You need to convince the Specter to give it to you. Then to use it in the final dialogue (the option sounds just like that).
Interesting. I've done the Specter conversation about 5 times now and I've never seen an option to ask him to share his knowledge. Is there a specific set of conversation options that I'm missing or is it contingent on doing something earlier in the game?

Hawke64
Novice

Post by Hawke64 » March 28th, 2017, 7:42 am

Althernai wrote:
March 27th, 2017, 4:17 pm
Interesting. I've done the Specter conversation about 5 times now and I've never seen an option to ask him to share his knowledge. Is there a specific set of conversation options that I'm missing or is it contingent on doing something earlier in the game?
Blue/Silver as your dominant Tides. The earliest mention about these two being Adahn's dominant Tides is a reply to Matkina about TCG's cultists ("Casmeen sees power, and wants it to reflect on her. Mimeon sees knowledge, and hopes it will shine on him."). But it became obvious for me only on the second playthrough.

Althernai
Initiate

Post by Althernai » March 28th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Thanks, I guessed it had something to do with the Tides. I have the Gold so this is not accessible to me. Oh well.