The real story behind the game

For discussing Torment's story as it slowly gets unveiled, as well as discussing the game's setting. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

eNTi
Scholar

The real story behind the game

Post by eNTi » March 12th, 2017, 5:36 pm

So I was trying to figure out what was going on in this game multiple times and I have some possibly far fetched idea what this is all about. I struggled a lot because the game seems to keep jumping between mundane everyday "normal" game story elements and some weird meta story that permeated almost everthing you do and everyone you encounter. At times I wasn't sure I was still playing an actual game or a psychology expermiment gone wild. So here is my probably weird conclusion:

The whole game is about the life story of one (or more) of the developers for the numenera setting in his search for his identity. As there's a ton of transgender stuff going on in this world and in the game I was thinking along the lines that each castoff is more or less one stage of that (those) people who were trying to find (and define) themselves. I'm thinking about a father (or mother) - aka The Changing God - with one daughter who is (re-)discovering late in life that he is actually not idenfiying as a male at all. The various non castoff npcs represent different family members and friends and their reaction that transformation. The father/mother is plunged into his identity crisis and destroys his family in the process and then tries to fix the unfixable while gaining new insights about himself. The Sorrow is some kind of looming threat (maybe a probable suicide due to anxienty and stress) and he's constantly fighting with himself and his former identities who all somehow try to get the better of him in one way or another.

I was wondering if others have similar thoughts?

MrBuzzKill
Initiate

Re: The real story behind the game

Post by MrBuzzKill » March 14th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Considering a lot of the game goes on inside the character's head, any non-canon interpretation is as valid as another. As for me, I'm content with taking everything in the game literally.

migelpig
Initiate

Post by migelpig » March 14th, 2017, 1:21 pm

eNTi wrote:As there's a ton of transgender stuff going on in this world
Seem to have missed that. I've only done one playthrough though.

I do remember near the end of the game when you're in the chamber with his daughter the temporal copy talks about how The Changing God didn't care much about race or gender. Gender was often one of the last decisions he took regarding a new body.

Neuromancer
Initiate

Post by Neuromancer » March 16th, 2017, 10:45 pm

My guess is .... The short story making it so that the devs can keep going further into the future (as seen by how some of the endings play out) finish game this age.... Several hundred years later someone else pisses off the sorrow or something worse is created.... Perhaps to open new ventures ? Who knows

Sarakash
Initiate

Post by Sarakash » March 19th, 2017, 6:27 am

I really hope this thread is some sort of sophisticated troll attempt. A ton of "transgender stuff" , like what exactly ?

The Changing Gods attempt to defeat death doesn´t even scratches on the topic of transgender at all. If you really want to do some mental gymnastics, you may call for an attempt in dealing with identity politics, but this is hardly the case here.

If you refer to the varjellen, they are hermaphroditic and only "choose" a sex in order to mate, then discarding it after. And they aren´t the brain child of a "developer", they are part of the pen & paper setting. You have to contact Monto Cook, if you want to confirm if they are part of your perceived "lots of transgender stuff."

http://theninthworld.com/varjellen/

Jeez

eNTi
Scholar

Post by eNTi » March 19th, 2017, 7:17 am

By "one (or more) of the developers for the numenera setting" I was actually refering to Cook and Co. Maybe I should have said "author" but I not sure about the correct nomenclature.

Gondolin
Initiate

Post by Gondolin » March 23rd, 2017, 10:05 am

It's a bit of stretch since the castoffs/changing God /every area in the game are not part of the original pen and paper setting. They were all created specifically for this game by non Monte Cook and Co. people. Monty had some input on the use of his IP but, the finished game elements are in no way reflective of any 'vision' from him.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » May 31st, 2017, 3:20 pm

Actually, text and subtext can tell you differemt stories entirely.

This story can be completely "transgender is just another facet of life, come along, nothing to see here" and have a story about identity crisis, an experience a lot like being transgender on a deeper level.

I don't say it does. It might be not. It's what OP sees.

It might be just loosely tied series of weird stories and characters, you meet and experience along the way, Twilight Zone style.

Or it might have an implied meaning we will never get.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None