Concerning Merecasters

For discussing Torment's story as it slowly gets unveiled, as well as discussing the game's setting. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

SteveStivaletti
Initiate

Concerning Merecasters

Post by SteveStivaletti » March 9th, 2017, 11:37 am

So I was wondering, how do the Mercasters really work? Do they REALLY change past events when used by the Last Castoff? I beat the game and loved it, but I feel like I need a recap.

Atnas
Initiate

Re: Concerning Merecasters

Post by Atnas » March 15th, 2017, 6:09 pm

I don't think we truly know? Some people claim they change the past, but then certain people wouldn't be alive and so on. I think the Merecasters simply create some sort of parellel dimension, where both things happened... and it weirds everyone out.

Grampybone
Acolyte

Post by Grampybone » March 15th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Dude, have you used merecasters prior to confronting Memovira? Even Matkina's mere is pretty obvious how you can change present.

Essentially, you go in the past and based on what you do, can affect the present.

The consequences are very much felt, just maybe not too obvious, unless you're looking for it.

I LOVE how you can talk to Memovira's bodyguards, and can convince them to join you during battle, based on your previous actions in meres. I love this battle so much.

Varana
Initiate

Post by Varana » March 16th, 2017, 6:55 am

I (more or less accidentally) got Tash killed in Matkina's mere, and I deliberately drove Bericael Berra to get killed in the Merecaster you get from Dracogen.
Both still showed up afterwards in the Memovira's fortress. (Which I found really, really disappointing.)

So yes, you can influence them - but because you got an insight into how they think and what they did. You do not change reality retroactively.
Therefore I have sailed the seas and come
To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats