Has the Oasis of M'ra Jolios been cut from the game? ($4M stretch goal)

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

fairfax
Novice

Re: Has the Oasis of M'ra Jolios been cut from the game? ($4M stretch goal)

Post by fairfax » January 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

How the hell is this a spoiler? The city was already known from kickstarter updates and the numenera setting itself.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 26th, 2017, 4:25 am

fairfax wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:
Aramintai wrote: What's more troubling, however, is that there are no trophies for characters not shown in the beta. Meaning there's a good chance that The Toy and other companion were cut.
This is the first piece of genuine evidence I've seen so far. Now I am concerned. That would seriously suck if the entire last half of the game had no extra companions. :(

Games I believe are usually designed backwards if I'm not mistaken. So all the maps and places at the end of the game usually are safe. This information you've revealed about The Toy is quite another matter.

The only hope I still have is that The Toy functions more as a Pet or familiar than a full PC. Since it doesn't talk, doesn't seem to die, and will not have any personal quest, it may just not have any achievements. Still, this is concerning that is for sure. I'd imagine they'd at least have one achievement related to The Toy.

The fear is setting in... :(
Happy you didn't take the bet, huh? :lol:
Yes. However, I would like to point out that I never stated that you were wrong. you simply didn't have enough evidence to make those accusations. Now we do have some more proof, perhaps not concrete, and its enough to start taking seriously. So I'll commend you on your assumption and intuition. I am officially on the band wagon. This is looking grim and we deserve answers.

I apologize for my previous objections and will be on the look out for any more information you can uncover.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » January 26th, 2017, 10:57 am

Hey everyone. The Oasis is still represented in the game, and as some of you have pointed out, we've shown it several times before in screenshots and media.

You may have noticed we've been showing off the Bloom a lot lately, and that's no coincidence. Despite being one of the earliest locations we showed, the Bloom was originally intended to be smaller than it ended up being. Though we initially planned for the Oasis to be our second major story hub, over time our fascination with the Bloom's darker, more Tormenty feel, led to it being recast as the game's second major city hub instead. We felt creatively this was the right thing to do, and the change did not shorten the gameplay experience.

As a result, the Oasis ended up taking on a smaller role, but you will still be able to visit it during the game.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 26th, 2017, 11:07 am

Brother None wrote:Hey everyone. The Oasis is still represented in the game, and as some of you have pointed out, we've shown it several times before in screenshots and media.

You may have noticed we've been showing off the Bloom a lot lately, and that's no coincidence. Despite being one of the earliest locations we showed, the Bloom was originally intended to be smaller than it ended up being. Though we initially planned for the Oasis to be our second major story hub, over time our fascination with the Bloom's darker, more Tormenty feel, led to it being recast as the game's second major city hub instead. We felt creatively this was the right thing to do, and the change did not shorten the gameplay experience.

As a result, the Oasis ended up taking on a smaller role, but you will still be able to visit it during the game.
if the Bloom is as big as Sagus cliff i certainly do not mind, i also thought it was way more interesting :)

thanks for the headsup its nice that information is provided now.

fairfax
Novice

Post by fairfax » January 26th, 2017, 11:10 am

There's more stretch goal content that hasn't been shown yet. You guys should just come forward and tell backers about what has been cut or changed. It's clear that if it wasn't for me digging in the files and posting this stuff you would've been happy to keep it a secret until release.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » January 26th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Brother None wrote: As a result, the Oasis ended up taking on a smaller role, but you will still be able to visit it during the game.
Well, that explains the lack of trophy for this location in the PS4 trophy list. Just as I suspected.
Last two things to confirm of being cut is numenera crafting and codex stretch goals, but I don't really care about the answer anymore. I only cared about the Toy... :cry:

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 26th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Aramintai wrote:
Brother None wrote: As a result, the Oasis ended up taking on a smaller role, but you will still be able to visit it during the game.
Well, that explains the lack of trophy for this location in the PS4 trophy list. Just as I suspected.
Last two things to confirm of being cut is numenera crafting and codex stretch goals, but I don't really care about the answer anymore. I only cared about the Toy... :cry:
I think The Toy was would of made for an amazing Morte replacement. I'd of imagined a goo ball that did charades that contained prescient cues which you could try to solve. Basically changing into various shapes and objects that were clues. This would of been pretty weird and "Numenera-esque" and help fill in for the lack of diversity in races.

None of the companions in PST were completely human, especially in countenance. The exact reverse is true with TToN. :x

I think its pretty clear that the Codex is gone. I have no clue about crafting, but like you said I'm done. My biggest concerns are now revealed. We get the complete game with all the armor, we get the maps, but we out big time on companions.

You know I think the reason why The Toy was cut has everything to do with graphics. They must of realized how difficult it would of been to implement early on. It was supposed to morph into various shapes. I bet that just had a big price tag on it. Making everyone look very human must be the cheapest way to go I guess.
Last edited by anonymous6059 on January 27th, 2017, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » January 26th, 2017, 5:28 pm

anonymous6059 wrote: I'm filling you completely.
:o
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 27th, 2017, 4:51 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:
I wonder what Freud would say... :oops:

Jernaugh
Scholar

Post by Jernaugh » January 27th, 2017, 6:59 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
IHaveHugeNick wrote:
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

And sometimes... not. ;)

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » January 28th, 2017, 1:09 pm

anonymous6059 wrote:
IHaveHugeNick wrote:
What's that, a Numenéra? Or some sort of creature? :)
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 27th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Reviews are coming out, and we know what happened to the remaining Oasis area: it exists as a mental construct inside the Castoff's Labyrinth. Clever way to salvage the map without having to create the full city as originally envisioned.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » March 5th, 2017, 3:07 am

There were a lot of quests planned for the Oasis (obviously, since it was meant to be a major hub), and most of the quest descriptions are still present in the game files. That gives us an idea of what it was meant to look like.
<DefaultText>Tuck the merchant was expecting a Limnic Reactor to arrive, but the caravan disappeared in the Lost Sea. I need to find that reactor so Mazzof can finish the Gate of Kutallu.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10001</ID>
<DefaultText>Apparently, the Lost Sea is extremely difficult to traverse. I'll need to find some way to locate the caravan before heading out there.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10002</ID>
<DefaultText>The Carbonic Wind Chimes should direct me to the Limnic Reactor. Now I just have to find the caravan.

There's also the problem of getting back out of the Lost Sea once I'm in there. I might want to find a way to do that.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10003</ID>
<DefaultText>I've found the missing caravan. Now I just need to locate the Limnic Reactor among this mess.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10004</ID>
<DefaultText>I collected the Limnic Reactor from the missing caravan in the Lost Sea.</DefaultText>
<DefaultText>Bogun Atlin wants to get revenge against Dracogen for what (he believes) Dracogen did to the Bloom's former Memovira. He needs a specific artifact to enact his plan.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10001</ID>
<DefaultText>The artifact is in the Menagerie. Stealing it is not going to be easy.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10002</ID>
<DefaultText>I stole the artifact from the Menagerie. Now I just have to give it to Bogun.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10003</ID>
<DefaultText>I hid the artifact in the Menagerie during Mazzof's Mere. It should be easier to pick it up now, if they haven't found it.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10004</ID>
<DefaultText>I stole the artifact while in Mazzof's body. He should have it now.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10005</ID>
<DefaultText>Bogun was so grateful for the artifact that he's offered to take me from the Bloom to any place I want to go, using his private transport. I just need to let him know when and where I want to go.</DefaultText>
<DefaultText>Mazzof has asked me to help him escape the Menagerie. Unfortunately, the First is motivated to keep him where he is.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10001</ID>
<DefaultText>Mazzof agreed to get me in to the First Castoff provided I kill her once I get there.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10003</ID>
<DefaultText>I tried to kill the First and failed. Mazzof's stuck unless I can find another way to help him.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10004</ID>
<DefaultText>Using Mazzof's Merecaster, I was able to get him past the Menagerie Demon and out of the Menagerie.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10005</ID>
<DefaultText>Against all odds, I pit the First's own castoffs against her and defeated her. The Giash has consequently freed Mazzof from the Menagerie.</DefaultText> <FemaleText />
<DefaultText>The Gate of Kutallu</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>1</ID>
<DefaultText>Collect at least 4 of the 5 pieces needed for the Gate of Kutallu.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>2</ID>
<DefaultText>Give the 4 artifacts to Mazzof.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>3</ID>
<DefaultText>Tell Mazzof to build the Gate.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>4</ID>
<DefaultText>Give at least 4 artifacts to Mazzof.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>6</ID>
<DefaultText>The Gate is built.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10000</ID>
<DefaultText>Mazzof says he can get me into the First's hideout by creating something called the Gate of Kutallu, but he needs a number of powerful artifacts to pull it off.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10001</ID>
<DefaultText>Mazzof says he needs at least four of the following to build the Gate, and that five would be preferable:

1. Aequorin Fiber, which he used to get from Ekevarria in the Sunken Market.
2. Fleder's Noose, which is worn by the Menagerie Demon.
3. A Limnic Reactor, which Tuck the merchant is supposed to have received soon.
4. The Amulet of Scorgil, worn by the Giash.
5. A sacrifice of a god (because *that's* not vague).</DefaultText>
<DefaultText>One of the artifacts Mazzof needs is the Amulet of Scorgil, which is currently worn by Omis, the head of the ruling Giash and elder of M'ra Jolios.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10001</ID>
<DefaultText>I have to find a way to get the Amulet from Omis. I suspect this won't be easy.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10002</ID>
<DefaultText>While I was in Thom's body, I convinced Omis that the Last Castoff (me) needs the Amulet more than the Giash. I should talk to Omis again in my own body to see if he really changed his mind.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10003</ID>
<DefaultText>While I was in Thom's body, I was able to get the Amulet from Omis. Thom has it now, so I just need to get it from him.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10004</ID>
<DefaultText>With a little Merecaster magic, I was able to convince Omis to give me the Amulet. That's one more artifact for Mazzof.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>10005</ID>
<DefaultText>While I was in Thom's body, I was able to get the Amulet from Omis. Then I just gave it to myself... sort of.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>20000</ID>
<DefaultText>I tried the direct route, but Omis refused. Looks like I'll have to either steal it or find some way to convince him that I need it.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>20001</ID>
<DefaultText>Thom, another member of the Giash, is a castoff! Maybe he will help me get the Amulet from Omis.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>20002</ID>
<DefaultText>While in Thom's Mere, I left the Amulet in a hidden container in the Giash Chamber. All I need to do is collect it.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>20003</ID>
<DefaultText>I talked to Thom, and he says he wants to help, but he doesn't know how he can convince Omis to part with the Giash's most important artifact.</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
Very interesting stuff, although it clashes to strongly with the release version's main story that I don't think we'll ever see it in DLC or anything similar.

Ningauble
Novice

Post by Ningauble » March 8th, 2017, 11:31 am

So the answer to this question is,

"yes, kind of"