Has The Toy companion been cut from the game? ($2M stretch goal)

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Infinitron
Adventurer

Has The Toy companion been cut from the game? ($2M stretch goal)

Post by Infinitron » January 12th, 2017, 7:56 am

Some people are saying this.
Last edited by Infinitron on January 25th, 2017, 1:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Grotesque
Scholar

Re: Has "The Toy" companion been cut from the game?

Post by Grotesque » January 12th, 2017, 9:38 am

The shapeshifting blob? Oh no... That was the companion I was looking forward the most!
Bugs can be fixed but shitty design is forever.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 12th, 2017, 10:22 am

Infinitron wrote:Some people are saying this.
Where did you hear that?
I'm of the impression that it is either one of the later companions that you acquire or that it is the "Morte" replacement and will be revealed at the beginning of the game. I've been really hoping that he'd be more like a Morte type companion, but nothing seems to be proving that is going to be the case.

I will be very disappointed if they cut him.

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 12th, 2017, 10:29 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
Where did you hear that?
[...]

that is assumed from the datamined beta files

"Alpha and beta files. Both Oom and Riastrad (another cut companion) were supposed to appear in Sagus Cliffs, and they had a ton of mentions and files removed from alpha to beta. Also the devs haven't mentioned "nine companions" since 2015." - Fairfax

But The Toy (Oom) was a 2 mil kickstarter stretchgoal. So cuting it would be preposterous. So it must be another explanation.

5th companion: A fifth companion will be added to the base four, “the Toy”, a changing ball of goo: Is it a pet, an abandoned toy, a dangerous weapon? Whatever it is, it responds to the way you treat it by changing its appearance and abilities to reflect what it perceives as your desires. Its ultimate secrets are… well, you’ll have to find out.

http://www.adamheine.com/2014/05/ama-to ... n-toy.html

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 12th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Grotesque wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:
Where did you hear that?
[...]

that is assumed from the datamined beta files

"Alpha and beta files. Both Oom and Riastrad (another cut companion) were supposed to appear in Sagus Cliffs, and they had a ton of mentions and files removed from alpha to beta. Also the devs haven't mentioned "nine companions" since 2015." - Fairfax

But The Toy (Oom) was a 2 mil kickstarter stretchgoal. So cuting it would be preposterous. So it must be another explanation.

5th companion: A fifth companion will be added to the base four, “the Toy”, a changing ball of goo: Is it a pet, an abandoned toy, a dangerous weapon? Whatever it is, it responds to the way you treat it by changing its appearance and abilities to reflect what it perceives as your desires. Its ultimate secrets are… well, you’ll have to find out.

http://www.adamheine.com/2014/05/ama-to ... n-toy.html
Crap man, the outlook was already bleak enough. So is it possible that the datamined info changed because they simply relocated those PCs to the second half of the game? I guess that does confirm that they won't be in the first half, but I don't see how this means that they've been cut. Would companions found in the 2nd part of the game have some sort of residual code in the first part of the game.

Where did you read about this datamining? I'd love to see this article or the source of this information.
PS:T had 7 companions. I think it is expected that TToN will as well or that is what I understood.

You're breaking my heart.

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 12th, 2017, 2:53 pm

anonymous6059 wrote:

Where did you read about this datamining?

On a forum governed by scum and villainy and populated by glittering gems of hatred.

But don't worry, I am sure someone from inXile will clarify this shortly.

[prairie crickets sounds]

anytime now...

EDIT: I asked Adam Heine on twitter about The Toy but he chose to ignore my question.
But when someone sings praises for the beta on reddit, that gets retweeted by him.
Priorities.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: Have The Toy and Riastrad companions been cut from the game?

Post by Lord of Riva » January 12th, 2017, 11:36 pm

i would be as annoyed as anyone here if this was the case however they have not yet been announced as cut.

You are basing this solely on conjecture and that is at best a shaky leg to stand on.

The companions may have been cut from the beta fully intentional, they may have changed where you do encounter them and they just may not be part of the beta.
That Adam Heine is not answering to critique on this on his twitter is also something that i would see as completely normal.
Not every Dev has to fight with the people around him, in fact thats what the people do who are not professional.

He will probably under NDA as well and if the company decided purposefully decided that the Toy is not included in the Beta i can guarantee you that any Dev worth their salt will not go rogue and just tell something he should not.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » January 13th, 2017, 12:02 am

Ok, I don't care much about Collector's Edition debates (I'm a backer not a buyer, I'd give money for a good project to be made even if there were no rewards) but cutting stretch goals from the game itself would be very bad. But not unheard of, I've seen some projects canceling some stretch goals if they happen to go way beyond planned budget. Personally, I'm looking forward to the Toy companion most of all, I hope it's still in the game. And I hope it's somewhere in the beginning of the game, I don't like getting rid of old companions halfway through the story for a new one. Anyway, I think we should not let get ahead of ourselves based only on rumors.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 13th, 2017, 12:32 am

Aramintai wrote:Ok, I don't care much about Collector's Edition debates (I'm a backer not a buyer, I'd give money for a good project to be made even if there were no rewards) but cutting stretch goals from the game itself would be very bad. But not unheard of, I've seen some projects canceling some stretch goals if they happen to go way beyond planned budget. Personally, I'm looking forward to the Toy companion most of all, I hope it's still in the game. And I hope it's somewhere in the beginning of the game, I don't like getting rid of old companions halfway through the story for a new one. Anyway, I think we should not let get ahead of ourselves based only on rumors.
not fullfilling stretchgoals happens but what ive never seen happen was them not saying that it was the case, so lets wait and sip some tea for now shall we :)

compared to the other issues that have brought up like the CE Edition this here is something that practically can not be changed anymore

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » January 13th, 2017, 2:34 am

Btw, there's no word about Numenera crafting an Codex anywhere as well, these were in the last stretch goal. And the game went gold today. So to devs: I think between now and release day is a good time to start showing in-depth videos about ALL gameplay features, companions, mechanics etc.

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 13th, 2017, 3:50 am

Lord of Riva wrote: That Adam Heine is not answering to critique on this on his twitter is also something that i would see as completely normal.
So a question about the presence or not of a companion in the game is automatically a critique in your abysmal opinion!? Ahem... brownosing brought to art level.

The fact that no one comments regarding this worry just increased the probability that Oom is indeed cut from the game and they don't want to rise the butthurt level already high because of the CE fiasco.
What was the cost for them to say, "Don't worry bros, The Toy will be in the game. Now shut up and count the seconds 'till release" ? None.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 13th, 2017, 4:10 am

Grotesque wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote: That Adam Heine is not answering to critique on this on his twitter is also something that i would see as completely normal.
So a question about the presence or not of a companion in the game is automatically a critique in your abysmal opinion!? Ahem... brownosing brought to art level.

The fact that no one comments regarding this worry just increased the probability that Oom is indeed cut from the game and they don't want to rise the butthurt level already high because of the CE fiasco.
What was the cost for them to say, "Don't worry bros, The Toy will be in the game. Now shut up and count the seconds 'till release" ? None.
you are barking at the wrong tree my friend. It may just be that im not a native speaker you know.

Its simply normal to be limited in what you are allowed to share on a personal level, he is probably simply not allowed to. If however your posting style is always like this then it may in fact also be a reason why nobody answers.

there is no reason to assume that anything has cut, but i will be with you guys if it has and they havent said a word.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 13th, 2017, 7:06 am

Grotesque wrote: The fact that no one comments regarding this worry just increased the probability that Oom is indeed cut from the game and they don't want to rise the butthurt level already high because of the CE fiasco.
This thread should most likely be moved to the Spoiler Section.

Okay, so who is Oom again? I'd tried figuring all this out a while back. Is Oom supposed to be the "ultradimensional traveller" or "Rhin" maybe? The only other thing I can think of is that you're referring to a NPC and not a companion. What was the name of the new "O" NPC?

Check out these links for more information:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15951
http://numenera.gamepedia.com/Companions

Possible Companion list 1:
  • Aligern, a fallen priest who pulls his writhing tattoos from his arms to spill horror upon his foes.
  • Callistege, a nano who toyed with the fabric of space one too many times and now lives a fractured existence, living parallel lives in multiple universes and timestreams all at once.
  • Tybir, an old sailor most often found on the wrong side of the law.
  • Matkina, a cold, calculating jack with a blade in her pocket and acid in her soul, who caries mind-altering mists around her neck, and who has found a way to control light and shadow.
  • A sybil whose visions of the world refract through her madness and who can see your other castoff siblings for what they are.
  • An ultradimensional traveller who peers through the veil of flesh to the life forces beneath, and who is capable of snuffing those forces with a thought.
  • The Toy, a changing ball of goo.
  • Erritis A boy who seeks only adventure and glory, who leaps blindly into the most ridiculously dangerous situations imaginable and--surprisingly--emerging from them brighter and more powerful than he was before... but whose existence is a torment its own.
Possible Companion list 2:
  • Aligern, a fallen priest who pulls his writhing tattoos from his arms to spill horror upon his foes.
  • Callistege, a nano who toyed with the fabric of space one too many times and now lives a fractured existence, living parallel lives in multiple universes and timestreams all at once.
  • Tybir, an old sailor most often found on the wrong side of the law.
  • Matkina, a cold, calculating jack with a blade in her pocket and acid in her soul, who caries mind-altering mists around her neck, and who has found a way to control light and shadow.
  • Rhin, a sybil whose visions of the world refract through her madness and who can see your other castoff siblings for what they are.
  • The Toy, a changing ball of goo.
  • Erritis, a boy who seeks only adventure and glory, who leaps blindly into the most ridiculously dangerous situations imaginable and--surprisingly--emerging from them brighter and more powerful than he was before... but whose existence is a torment its own.

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 13th, 2017, 8:10 am

Lord of Riva wrote:If however your posting style is always like this then it may in fact also be a reason why nobody answers.
the caustic style is distilled frustration because of a developer that in the end turned to be governed by the same hypocrisy and tight lipped syndrome of the big bad publishers from their kickstarter campaign.

anonymous6059 wrote:This thread should most likely be moved to the Spoiler Section.
Yes, of course. Give them a reason to bury it there. We'll get an answer for sure!
Just use spoiler warnings
anonymous6059 wrote:Okay, so who is Oom again? I'd tried figuring all this out a while back. Is Oom supposed to be the "ultradimensional traveller" or "Rhin" maybe? The only other thing I can think of is that you're referring to a NPC and not a companion

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< SPOILERS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
[b]Fairfax[/b] wrote:No, it was cut.

It was called "Oom", formerly known as the Toy during the Kickstarter. It has very few hits in the beta's files, mostly "what do you think of Oom?" with no answer.

Oom deflates for a moment, wobbling listlessly in a peculiar circuit. When you start to walk away, it takes some seconds for Oom to follow.
Party banter:

"Go away, Oom. Go be a puddle someplace."
"Oom is... becoming different. It's even more... Oom. OOM, as it were."
"Isn't Oom cute? Even when it's attacking and slicing and murdering people, it's still adorable."
"Oom will never leave us, will it? Oom will never die, right? Tell me Oom will be with us always and forever."
"So tell me, Oom. Can you really transform into *anything*?"
"You're just getting older, Oom. It happens to most people. And blobs."
"I remember when Oom was just a toy. Quiet. Friendly. {Sad}Was willing to play more."
"You know just how to cheer me up, Oom."
[Oom twists his head slightly and looks a you curiously.]

Matkina:

"I'd rather lie with Oom than touch him."

^this is the datamined information

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 13th, 2017, 10:22 am

Grotesque wrote:

It was called "Oom", formerly known as the Toy during the Kickstarter. It has very few hits in the beta's files, mostly "what do you think of Oom?" with no answer.

Oom deflates for a moment, wobbling listlessly in a peculiar circuit. When you start to walk away, it takes some seconds for Oom to follow.
Party banter:

"Isn't Oom cute? Even when it's attacking and slicing and murdering people, it's still adorable."
"Oom will never leave us, will it? Oom will never die, right? Tell me Oom will be with us always and forever."
"I remember when Oom was just a toy. Quiet. Friendly. {Sad}Was willing to play more."

Matkina:
Okay so if that is the datamined information does it not prove that Oom ,The Toy, does exist in the game by the very fact that you found code? Are you saying that a considerable amount less code was discovered in the Beta concening Oom than was found in the Alpha? If so, by how much? It seems to me that if the beta does in fact have the above code in it than Oom must be in the game. If the amount of code relating to him has lowered that may be worrisome, but still not a direct indication that he has been cut.

Also, you have me wondering if Oom isn't a sort of hidden chararter. Some of the banter above indicates that it has kind of OP strength. It can't die, it can turn into anything. It would be interesting if Oom was more of something that you obtained, like a really powerful familiar (pet), rather than a actual companion. You should also keep in mind that a ball of goo might not have a great deal to say. All banter would be one sided since it can't speak. That alone would reduce the amount of banter dramatically. Take that and add the fact that it is possibly the last companion you acquire and I'm not so sure you have a case to be worried about.

Personally I'd hoped Oom was going to be the Morte replacement that followed you around and did a type of alien chrade that contained hidden meaning relevent to your quest. Example [Oom twist up into the shape of poo] "Guys I think things are about to get nasty. Make sure to rest up and get your cyphers ready." ;)
Last edited by anonymous6059 on January 13th, 2017, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » January 13th, 2017, 10:49 am

Grotesque wrote:

Party banter:

Matkina:
Aaw, that's so cute, please tell me they didn't cut it. This companion sounds way more interesting than any human ones we have currently.
In my head it looks like one of those goo slimes from jRPGs, or like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTju8vkU0O0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 13th, 2017, 10:39 pm

anonymous6059 wrote:This thread should most likely be moved to the Spoiler Section.
This is a spoiler section.

[Moderator note: This was true at the time of the post. The thread has since been moved back to TTON General by me. - Zombra]
Grotesque wrote:Yes, of course. Give them a reason to bury it there. We'll get an answer for sure!
You have a strange definition of burying.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 14th, 2017, 4:22 am

Drool wrote:
I don't know as Mod if you can see alterations, rollbacks, and modifications done to the site, but I had this thread moved to a spoiler section yesterday because it contains details which shouldn't be known. It was originally located in a non-spoiler area. Keep up. ;)

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 14th, 2017, 8:26 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
Drool wrote:
I don't know as Mod if you can see alterations, rollbacks, and modifications done to the site, but I had this thread moved to a spoiler section yesterday because it contains details which shouldn't be known. It was originally located in a non-spoiler area. Keep up. ;)
In fact this thread never contained spoilers until you started to post spoilers in it with your retarded "possible companion list".
And now you brag about it like a slimey douchebag for single-handedly dumping it in this ghost-town forum section.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 14th, 2017, 8:59 am

Grotesque wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:
Drool wrote: This is a spoiler section.
In fact this thread never contained spoilers until you started to post spoilers in it with your retarded "possible companion list".
And now you brag about it like a slimey douchebag for single-handedly dumping it in this ghost-town forum section.
Um, whoa fella. This thread has no less visibility because it was moved to a different section of the forum. Any discussion of potential companions is considered spoilers.

Spoiler: information about a plot or event in a movie, book, or show that may spoil the suspense or surprise.

You can't expect to honestly discuss datamined info, which by the way is questionably legal, and then complain that people put this in a "spoiler" section of the forum. Your lucky that they let you discuss this in general. It is information that you shouldn't have in the first place. I'd really appreciate it if you'd calm down.

You also still haven't answered any of my prior questions making me wonder if you're not just trolling. You don't seem to be legitimately trying to solve this problem anyway, just spark outrage.