List of Cults?

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

anonymous6059
Adventurer

List of Cults?

Post by anonymous6059 » May 9th, 2016, 10:16 am

So planescape Torment had 5 joinable factions. I'm wondering how many cults will be available in TToN. Since you guys have finished a rough draft of the game I'd imagine you can tell us how many cults we will have to choose from.

Looking on the Wiki I found 6 possible contenders.

Gaeans
The Gaeans are a mysterious and secretive cult believed to control the lands north of the Steadfast. They are enemies of the Order of Truth.

Dendra O'hur
The Dendra O'hur are a cult of the Ninth World. They are the followers of the Great Queen Sar'lavun, the Lady of Maggots.

The Order of Truth
The Order of Truth is a religious cult active mainly in the Steadfast, where it is the dominant religion. One of their offshoots is the Order of Flagellants and Austerities

Order of Flagellants and Austerities

The Order of Flagellants and Austerities, is one of the religious cults of the Ninth World. They were once a closed monkish branch of the Order of Truth called the Scourges.

Children of the Endless Gate

The Children of the Endless Gate are one of the religious cults of the Ninth World. They worship death in a particular way, believing to be spirits trapped in flesh.

Convergence
The Convergence is an organization whose purposes oppose those of the Aeon Priests. They seek to use the Numenera for their own personal gain.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Re: List of Cults?

Post by anonymous6059 » May 9th, 2016, 10:24 am

Also I'm wanting to know if Mr. Collins was the one who came up with the Gaeans. I see nothing about them in the Guidebook or the Corebook. Either way I really like the sound of it. They remind me of the Ascians from The Book of the New Sun. I hope that they expand on this idea more in the TToN supplement.

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: List of Cults?

Post by kilobug » May 9th, 2016, 12:08 pm

There are some mentions of Gaeans in the corebook, as enemies of the Order of Truth (and therefore more or less of the Steadfast) but very few is told about them - the corebook is central to Steadfast and the Beyond (east of the Steadfast), not much is said about the rest of the world.

But then, TTON is in another part of the world, not so sure how much we'll see of the factions of the corebook (Gaeans, Order of Truth, Convergence, ...).