Unlocking Leprechaun Annah

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Unlocking Leprechaun Annah

Post by anonymous6059 » March 14th, 2016, 9:30 am

Something that I've always been a fan of is Easter Eggs in games. Especially the kind that can be unlocked only after completing the game in a specific way or after completing nearly impossible task. Don't get me wrong steam acheivements and cheat codes have their place but I'm not specifically talking about those. The reason why I think this game could use more is because of the lack of rights to the Planescape setting. TToN will be a game that can stand on its own, at least I hope it will, so many "hard core" PST fans might be a little disappointed.

I've already noted several nods to TToN's predecessor during my play through of the game. All of the one's I came across were good, but I still want something more. Anything too obvious though might break immersion and I wouldn't want that either. Not to mention it most likely wouldn't fit into the Numenera Setting. So what I'd like to propose is the ability to unlock Easter Eggs.
Here is a list of examples to show what I'm hoping to see:
1. Say the word Adahn 10 times in the game and get the option to play through the game as The nameless one (well at least looking more like him).
2. Play through the game without killing anyone and unlock a hidden companion you can find only in future play throughs.
3. Kill all of the members of a certain faction or group and unlock a +5 vorpal sword.
4. Every time you answer "what does one life matter" differently. Get a different optional starting portrait or item relevant to your answer.

This game is suppose to have a lot of "replay" value right? Problem is that lots of people never actually replay games, truth be told 9 out of 10 gamers never even finish a game one time. http://kotaku.com/5832450/nine-out-of-1 ... re-playing

I think if you were to add Easter eggs to the game that can only be accessible by completing it in a variety of different ways you will increase the number of times people will attempt to complete the game. I'd also make a few of them rather difficult to complete. Not so frustrating that its ridicules, but just enough that no one would never find it without looking it up in the strategy guide. Not only will this increase replay value, but you will also be able to have a higher number of opportunities to give more obvious salutes to Planescape Torment or even to the developers themselves.

Anyway, its almost Easter and I was just think about Easter Eggs. :D

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Re: Unlocking Leprechaun Annah

Post by anonymous6059 » March 15th, 2016, 7:24 am

Side note: I know that the number of NPCs and PCs were set in stone a million years ago. I wasn't suggesting that you guys reinvent the wheel and make a ton of new content.

I was really thinking about the St. Patrick's day Annah and the Easter egg Morte kind of stuff. The only thing I can think of would be Noob Saibot from Mortal Kombat 2 sadly. Just give existing characters a new coat of paint and some retarded name and I'd play through it again just to try and find some other silly thing to unlock. You could do a "Toasty" with Brian Fargo's face maybe, lol. I dunno I just really miss those kinds of things in games.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » March 15th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Have you played Wasteland 2?
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » March 16th, 2016, 1:27 am

tonurics wrote:Have you played Wasteland 2?
I’ll take that as a "Yes, there will be Easter Eggs!" ;)

(actually I think we already saw one or two of them in the beta)

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 16th, 2016, 6:15 am

tonurics wrote:Have you played Wasteland 2?
Yes I've played and I noted several easter eggs, but nothing that really seem to do anything. I noticed several small things in TToN as well like a brown sphere, being called adahn, Don Quixote, and a few other things of that sort. All of that stuff is great and I enjoyed the link that you sent me. I never noticed half of the stuff that was in the Waste Lands 2 game before. Might need to do another playthrough...

Anyway, What I miss though is "unlocking" stuff.... I can't think of another word for it. I know in PST you don't actually unlock St. Patty Annah but I thought it would convey the idea. I wish the game would only allow you to have certain items or customization features after you've completed the game. Something tells me this game is going to be worth replaying a few times anyway, but you could get people to really try and complete the game many times if you added some incentive.

Example: bonus dialogue options, complete any of the Quest below.
+Taunt options: Help Sticha
+Persuade options: Help Metkina
+Deception: Help City from being destroyed

Then on a future playthrough you can learn a few new things that you couldn't before from the path you've already chosen. It wouldn't need to be a great deal of new material just enough to spark some interest. An extra line here that reveals some tidbit. Likewise you could give characters a new paint job or maybe the ability to start the game with the tutorial turned off. All kinds of neat little things like that would be great. Don't get me wrong though I love all the little details in the game too. All the nods to the past are very well nostalgic. I was mostly just thinking about ways to add more replay-ability to the game.
Unlocking a "how the game was made" video would be neat too.
By the way does anyone know if this game will have Steam achievements?
Anyway, thanks for replying.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » March 17th, 2016, 1:43 pm

It sounds like you're talking about New Game+ and not really Easter Eggs in general. I don't think anyone's really thought about NG+ type features at this stage, our focus at the moment is more along the lines of creating reactivity across all playthroughs. That way on a second (or third, or fourth, etc.) playthrough you'll be able to experience new things when you make different decisions.

I love Easter Eggs and am always trying to sneak them into things. While we have some in Torment (along with inside jokes only backers might get), the game itself is much more serious than Wasteland 2; so don't let my previous reply oversell you guys on the extent you'll find Easter Eggs.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 17th, 2016, 5:31 pm

tonurics wrote:While we have some in Torment (along with inside jokes only backers might get), the game itself is much more serious than Wasteland 2; so don't let my previous reply oversell you guys on the extent you'll find Easter Eggs.
I don't really think, that putting very unserious Easter Eggs into very serious game, doesn't make game overall unserious - you just have to hide them deeper, so it would be conscious decision on player's part.

I'm not saying, that you should or shouldn't add something into the game, just remembering Easter Eggs of old time, I can point out, that you use weak argument to back up your reasoning.

Wastelands 2 was less serious game overall, but it's not a reason to overload it with more wackyness and real world references. On a contrary, I'd make Easter Eggs in game such as this overly serious, bordering fridge horror or throwing some sharp commentary.

Come to think of it, Easter Eggs usually just some tiny 4th wall break, a joke, but can, as well be a writer's tool to transgress "acceptable" rules of storytelling and reinforce a storie's idea, rather than breaking player's willing suspension of disbelief with reference. Though, in this case, less is more, so only one such overly ridiculous Easter Egg per entire game, could've make it better.

It can be anything. Like... imagine suddenly meeting, say, Colin McComb and Brian Fargo, who was dragged billion years into the future by a strange device, sent by mysterious fan. Struggling against horrors/wonders of the Ninth World to survive, using their experience and developers' inside out knowledge of the setting. What would they think of their game, their world, living through it? What would they say to Last Castoff and potentially, a player, looking ar them through the billion years?.. What does one's life matter? A moment of sincere unseriousness can be a powerful tool.

It's idea not for this game, but maybe food for thoughts on the next one. ;)
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 17th, 2016, 7:18 pm

tonurics wrote:It sounds like you're talking about New Game+ and not really Easter Eggs in general. I don't think anyone's really thought about NG+ type features at this stage, our focus at the moment is more along the lines of creating reactivity across all playthroughs. That way on a second (or third, or fourth, etc.) playthrough you'll be able to experience new things when you make different decisions.
I love Easter Eggs and am always trying to sneak them into things. While we have some in Torment (along with inside jokes only backers might get), the game itself is much more serious than Wasteland 2; so don't let my previous reply oversell you guys on the extent you'll find Easter Eggs.
Yeah, more I thought about it the more I realized how difficult it would be to even worry about it, but your right I was thinking more about NG+
Here is another great "idea" ;)
I remember when I was a kid I spent as much time playing Zelda: Ocarina of time as I did trying to find the Tri-force that seemed to exist. I would just put in random variations of Game shark codes all evening, tilt the cartridge up on its side, anything to find a way through this one desert area that was never finished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9NuRYSoNC0
http://www.emagill.com/rants/eblog145a.html

Ever since then I've always thought that it would be ingenious to intentionally leave artifacts, a few textures, and/or broken quests on purpose. Now I realize that it would be a really bad idea to "try" and make a game broken. Here let me give an example anyway: Make several references to a floating skull in the game. In early trailer show some sort of reference to Morte in TToN. Then just leave a Floating head in some area of the game that can only be reached through some almost impossible means. Then people will spend years trying to solve the "Sacred Morte" mystery.

Another game that I've never actually played that shows what I'm talking about is called Shadow of the Colossus and people have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours trying to find a 17th Colossus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjd1_sM3ULs
This kind of stuff escalates games to legendary status it seems or at least it did to me.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 18th, 2016, 5:28 am

From time to time, it is fun to watch video game tin foil hats creating entire realities out of few titbits or artifacts, often unintentionally, left by game developers.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None