Tides affinity (attunement) status/progress in-game

For discussing Torment's story as it slowly gets unveiled, as well as discussing the game's setting. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

bzou
Initiate

Tides affinity (attunement) status/progress in-game

Post by bzou » February 17th, 2016, 1:24 am

Are there any plans to allow better control of the "tide-attunement-status" in GUI or via NPCs?
Some kind of "Good-Evil" meter made five-way? Or a more cryptic indication providing only hints? Or an NPC(s) like the specter from Prologue to tell the Last Castoff this?

Is, on the other hand, the main point of the story that we do not know and cannot manipulate tide attunement state with precision? I had hard time getting the tides balanced at the end of the Prologue; and that was just random in the end (contribution of the mere felt like 40-60%) – it was quite hard to manipulate even given a meter existed.

Sorry if that was explained before in inXile publications.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: Tides affinity (attunement) status/progress in-game

Post by Lord of Riva » February 17th, 2016, 7:50 am

i can see why some people would prefer to not have it, i however would like it a lot.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » February 17th, 2016, 8:03 am

I would like that too - perhaps it could be an option ?

Ideally TLC (hrm, sorry devs, LCO) would find an "oddity" that displays his own tide attunement, or something similar.

bzou
Initiate

Post by bzou » February 17th, 2016, 9:58 am

I, personally, haven't decided whether I want this feature or not :?:

Guess, think some kind of sublime notion or world-object reactions on Last Castoff might do it better than old-scholl alignment/attunement meter.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 17th, 2016, 11:42 am

bzou wrote:I, personally, haven't decided whether I want this feature or not :?:

Guess, think some kind of sublime notion or world-object reactions on Last Castoff might do it better than old-scholl alignment/attunement meter.
nah i feel this is wierd.

The thing is, i do understand if people dont want to have it and i see why people would want to have it. In my case its certainly clarity, i want to know what things do and where im at, i normally dont let it control me. While others tend to be forced into a specific direction through something like this.

For that matter i would prefer it clear and easily understandable not some obfuscated dialogue option in the labyrinth that gives me "hints" that are hard to read or something.

bzou
Initiate

Post by bzou » February 18th, 2016, 1:35 pm

So, I died.
When you die you get to the room with tanks; and the specter is still there.
You can ask him about Tides attunement.
But... I got the sense he's telling you the condition you was in at end of the Prologue. It's not up-to-date. Or I was lucky again to have all the Tides balanced. Which I doubt.
It's not a clear meter, but a way to know the status of attunement, I guess.

A confirmation from the developer guys would be great!

Firesnakearies
Scholar

Post by Firesnakearies » February 18th, 2016, 4:26 pm

bzou wrote:I got the sense he's telling you the condition you was in at end of the Prologue. It's not up-to-date.
No, his response to you there updates as you go along, if your tide has changed. I've seen him change his answer more than once.

Adam Heine
Acolyte

Post by Adam Heine » February 18th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Your current Dominant Tides will eventually be displayed as part of the Character Sheet UI. And yes, the Specter's answer should update based on your current Tides.

Note, however, that your Dominant Tides are not simply "which Tides have the higher numerical value." There's actually a little formula going on in the background such that your Dominant Tides have to exceed the numbers in the other Tides by some percentage. This may be why you remained balanced in the Tides even if you felt like you shouldn't have been -- it doesn't mean all five Tide variables are equal, but it means none of them is significantly higher than the others yet.
Adam Heine
Torment Design Lead

bzou
Initiate

Post by bzou » February 19th, 2016, 12:33 am

Got it.

Thanks for the clarification, Adam.
As for 'I felt': I actually checked several times after several quests and dialogues done, and it was still "balanced". Just a streak, I guess.

Great! Will be waiting to see in the UI.
Last edited by bzou on February 19th, 2016, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Heine
Acolyte

Post by Adam Heine » February 19th, 2016, 5:57 am

I think you're right, bzou. Reading another thread on the forums, it sounds like this may be bugged. I've put in a ticket for it.
Adam Heine
Torment Design Lead